i know this would seem kind of obvious, but i am not getting any punch or gain from the direct out on my amp. I'm using mbox2 with pro tools, and the guitar sound quality is rather poor. EQ helps, but it seems like i have lost all gain, sustain, and overall punch. sounds almost cheapish. any suggestions? idk if its my amp, but is there any low priced amps that are good with direct out?
One: *obligatory* it's a Spider so it will be hard-pushed to sound amazing.
Two: are you using an impulse response of a speaker cabinet after you've taken the signal from your amp to the computer?
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
i am simply using the di on the mbox2 with direct out on spider 4, listening through the headphone port with some behringers. i also have used a micro-cube the same way. its great with clean sounds, but the overdrive distortions do not kick enough for me.
Yeah I wouldn't use the distortion on that amp. DI clean, maybe even bypass the amp all together and use impulses.
yes, impulses. you would know about those if you followed the guide I posted.

use amp head vsts and impulses if you want great sounds.
Quote by TechnicolorType
yes, impulses. you would know about those if you followed the guide I posted.

use amp head vsts and impulses if you want great sounds.

Damn Emily, every time I come into one of these threads, your like bam, here's the answer, every single time.

Your on these VST/impulse questions like a fat kid on chocolate chip cookies.
i figured its a vst, and i did check your guide out. i need an rtas plugin because i only use pro tools. the eleven rack plugin built in is good, but it is way too gainy and hot. is there any good cheap tube amp ideal for good guitar lead recording? suggestions?
It depends on what kind of leads.
If you're looking for some low-gain or clean sounds then there's plenty of cheap tube amps that can do it.

If you want some screaming metal tone then you won't find too much for under 500ish that's worth bothering with.

If you were to go direct with the tube amp, you'd still need to use impulses which you say you can't do unless you have something else that can load them up.
If you were to mic up then you'd want a decent mic. The most common standard being the SM57 at 100 dollars.

But here's what you should really do before you buy an amp and stuff.

Download Reaper. I'm not saying to permanently use it. (but I'm guessing your version of Pro Tools is the watered down LE version that comes with their interfaces. in which case.. Reaper would probably be better anyways. but that's besides the point)
Then follow the guide I posted.
Use the VSTs and impulses through Reaper.
Try them out. See what you can get. If you're satisfied with the sounds you can get but want to use Pro Tools then you can do this:
http://www.podcomplex.com/blog/how-to-use-vst-plugins-in-pro-tools/
Or you could do what I do and put your tracks through the VSTs in Reaper and then export them.. and put them into Pro Tools for mixing. (I don't use Pro Tools but for some reason my daw isn't compatible with the tubescreamer plugin so I record in Reaper)
Or you could just swap over to Reaper if you're using Pro Tools LE because the LE version is the scaled down one. Reaper is a full DAW that's just as good as the full version of Pro Tools and you aren't forced to pay for it.

If you would like to spend money and get amp sims that are directly compatible with Pro Tools then you could look into Peavey Revalver. It has a library of effects and sounds like a Spider but actually is good. There's other software like Revalver but for the rest of them to sound their best, you'd need to use impulses. Revalver doesn't have to rely on impulses to sound good so it'd be your best bet.
There's a demo on the site. You could try it out and see what you think.

though, the most affordable method (that's just as effective as spending money on something such as Revalver or Pro Tools FXpansion) would be to use the free sims on that guide and Reaper. it could cost you as low as 0 dollars.

Just give it a go before you shop for a new amp.

If you don't like the results then do something else. but if you do then a lot of money can be saved and you can get good results.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Mar 16, 2011,
You can use impulses in Pro Tools, just open (forgotten the name, the convolution reverb that comes with PT) and load the impulse response there... As for amps, I've never used eleven but it should be better than using the Spider preamp, and I'd imagine eleven has impulses already and maybe even an impulse loader.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
^The MBox does have a mic input. In fact, as long as it's not the MBox Mini, he should have 2 mic inputs.

I usually just plug my guitar straight into the MBox and use Eleven. It took me a while to get a good sound, but once you do it's great. (Don't check out my recordings for reference to this though... they were recorded before I started doing this). What kind of music are you trying to record? I would suggest trying out all sorts of different presets on Eleven. The Vox one is one of my personal favorites... easy to adjust the levels and overdrive just by messing with the knobs.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Oh. That's probably what he/ she has. I just copy/ pasted the name of it and the mini came up in shopping results and it only had one direct input.

He/ she still should try amp sims out anyways though.
i have an sm58 actually. the sound quality is pretty decent with the acoustic i recorded, for a vocal mic. i might even try that if it sounds better. sounds like vst is the way to go though. i will try out some of the stuff you guys suggested, thanks a lot
The SM58 isn't necessarily just a vocal mic. It and the SM57 are essentially the same mic, the SM58 just has a pop filter cap on it. Miking the amp with the 58 could definitely sound good. I would mix the mic sound with the DI sound you get from using amp sims. Results should be good.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
i was gonna say, ill try some double tracking with some different techniques. i tried using elevenrack an sansamp on pt, and the gain is really noisy. im going to try some different plugins and some vsts with some other daws