I have a decent digital amp with plenty of power but a really crappy Tanglewood bass. I was looking at a Fender jazz, well known brand, reliable, decent tone, and before I make a final purchase (when I get the money) I am gonna have a look in a couple of music shops.

But I wondered if anyone has any suggestions? Mostly I play metal, funk and punk and a little bit of classic rock so I need a good all rounder bass.
As you said, Fender Jazz. I really dislike the lack of diversity in bass recommendations :P

But seriously, J-basses are simply good for all of it. A growling neck pickup for your rock, a nice bridge pickup for sparkly bass lines and a powerful attack when combined. My only dislike is that it's so common.
fender jazz is THEE bass for funk, a P bass is THEE bass for punk. although, either work great for either genres.

Im not too sure about metal. I odon't really listen to a lot of it compared to other genres, and its so diverse in tone and style so im no help there.

get a P/J bass if you can. ultimate phunk
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
fender jazz is THEE bass for funk, a P bass is THEE bass for punk. although, either work great for either genres.

Im not too sure about metal. I odon't really listen to a lot of it compared to other genres, and its so diverse in tone and style so im no help there.

get a P/J bass if you can. ultimate phunk

You beat me to it...

If it were me I would get the P/J. Which is why when I needed a new bass last year I bought a Fender P/J

There really isnt anything it can't do and do well. Mine is a Fender P Special so it has a P body with a Jazz neck. A split coil in the neck, and a standard Jazz pickup in the bridge. It can litterally play anything, even if I cant. IMO it's the best of both worlds, you get the playability and versitility of a Jazz. With that really thick and thumpy tone of a P. I'm a little biased since I have one, but I would highly recommend atleast going to a guitar shop and atleast trying one out!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Mar 16, 2011,
Well its been said, you can't go wrong with a Fender Precision or Jazz. Or you could get a Deluxe Precision Special (P/J pups, P body, J neck) for a best of both worlds, or an Aerodyne Jazz (CIJ, Jazz basswood body, P/J pups).

I'd suggest looking into Traben, I don't know if their higher end models are still available, but they make (or rather made I guess) some very versatile basses if you can get past the "interesting" bridges. Ibanez is another good bet, if you like super thin necks, there's an SR model at almost every price point.

Are you willing to go used? Because at that price range, it opens up a lot of options.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Another to consider, if you went second hand, would be some variety of Stingray. They're incredible all-round basses, and especially good for funk. They seem to be used quite a lot in more modern punk music now too. I'm not too big on metal, but I don't suppose you'd struggle to make it work.
Quote by Ziphoblat
Signature model (and to a member of an awful band for that matter) and ordering from the states is always going to result in costing more + more hassle. Probably not your best bet.

HEY! Old school GN'R is da bomb. Don't be hating.

But he's right, you usually don't get the most bang for your buck as far as signatures go, and he didn't say anything about where he lived...
I pride myself on my humility.
Last edited by mtshark at Mar 16, 2011,
Any Fender will do any sort of music. To be honest, any sort of bass will do any sort of music, just the spikier ones tend to be reserved for twelve year olds' metal bands.
Quote by mtshark
HEY! Old school GN'R is da bomb. Don't be hating.

Anything that involves or involved Slash is automatically the complete opposite of "da bomb" in my opinion.

But he's right, you usually don't get the most bang for your buck as far as signatures go, and he didn't say anything about where he lived...

The "£800" part was a dead give-away for me. Don't see many folk using pounds in the States.
Quote by Ziphoblat
Anything that involves or involved Slash is automatically the complete opposite of "da bomb" in my opinion.

The "£800" part was a dead give-away for me. Don't see many folk using pounds in the States.

This website involved Slash at one point...

Well anyway, for 800 pounds which is something like $1500ish if im right, you can easily get an American Deluxe or Standard . Tbh, at that price almost anything is possible.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
This website involved Slash at one point...

Fortunately this website isn't a piece of music.

Well anyway, for 800 pounds which is something like $1500ish if im right, you can easily get an American Deluxe or Standard . Tbh, at that price almost anything is possible.

Not once you buy it over here. A USA standard over here is going to cost you £1050 (about $1700) new... that seems to be the going rate anyway.
Whoa, my mistake, I forgot we were talking about pounds. Im going to assume though that for 800 pounds you should be able to get a very good bass, even if it isnt fender. Just because it isnt fender shaped doesnt mean it isnt good for funk.

I dont know where TS is from but I imagine he should have access to Ibanez, they make good basses at practically any price range.
pinga
It'd be best if he could send us a clip of the sort of tone he wants. Those genres' tones tend to have a lot of overlap. Yes to the Ibanez comment too, same goes for Schecter and Yamaha.
For £800 you could find an American model used, especially if you know the right places to look.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
For £800 you could find an American model used, especially if you know the right places to look.

Easily. Buyers market at the moment. I'm trying to sell my MIA Precision at the moment and it looks like I'm going to have to settle at £650.
check online stores such as GAK, i got my MIA P bass off of there for 780, rather than the in-store price of 980.
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.
Quote by jackers1234
check online stores such as GAK, i got my MIA P bass off of there for 780, rather than the in-store price of 980.

I personally like trying a piece of equipment before I buy it.
£800 is a massive investment so you need to be entirely sure on what you are getting. Look used, I got a Warwick $$ Corvette for £500. I have played many basses but to me nothing feels or sounds like Warwicks and mine just feels "right" in my hands.
Quote by 6stringbasshred
I personally like trying a piece of equipment before I buy it.
£800 is a massive investment so you need to be entirely sure on what you are getting. Look used, I got a Warwick $$ Corvette for £500. I have played many basses but to me nothing feels or sounds like Warwicks and mine just feels "right" in my hands.

so do i, i would never buy something without trying it out first. i went to london before i got my bass online and tried out loads of basses, so i knew what i would be getting. it was definitely worth it
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.
Stingrays are great I play alot of funk and metal and it does the job for both.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Dude. If you can find a Precision Elite II, GET IT. However, they aren't easy to find. Mine is freaking awesome! I've been playing for 25 years - an awful lot of metal and reggae. I've had this bass for about 11 years, and it weighs 13 lbs. So, you may need a wider or a padded strap until you get used to it. I'll never sell mine. It's the best playing, best sounding bass I've ever owned. It's got 2 sets of lace sensor split pickups, one set in the middle, one at the fine-tuning bridge. It also has a preamp that can be on either/or pickup, or both at once. Because of the pickup configuration, it is incredibly versatile and you can get a ton of different sounds and tone from the differing variations. GET A P ELITE II! You won't regret it. Make sure you get the manual (Fender has it online) and set it up properly. You could pay to have it done, but what would you learn? I'm always looking for more, now. I want to collect them. The color is in the finish, not a stain or paint. So, you can still see all of the wood grain. They're as gorgeous looking as they are sounding. Here's what mine looks like, although I need to take a picture with my newer camera:
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Last edited by deeptubes at Mar 17, 2011,
Quote by deeptubes

My knees physically quiver at the sight of that beauty.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
yeah I live in england as most of you probably guessed if any of you are still around then this is the tone I am looking for (I know that the music isn't to everyone's taste but I LOVE that bass tone. The bassist uses ampeg amps and fender jazz basses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2WXCVB3s5s

but for funk I like this sorta sound (you all know its going to be flea don't you?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E33E5Si339U

I was looking at some ibanez's in a music shop and they were pretty good and then I tried a fender jazz and it blew my mind, but to be fair it was a £1000 fender and a £300 ibanez

So you guys are suggesting I should go down to London and try some out? Seems like a good idea. But if anyone can suggest anything to get closer to that tone that would be awesome
Last edited by jam tabby at Mar 22, 2011,
Aerodyne Jazz P/J. Nuff' said.
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
I had a look at the aerodyne but it seems a little bit lower standard than some of the others at the higher end of my price range :/ also (and I know this is just superficial) the all black no pickguard look REALLY put me off
if you like the jazz tone for punk then get a jazz. you can get a jazz to sound a lot like that ATK flea was using.
no sir away a papaya war is on
ATK? What drugs are you on? That's a Modulus.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Mar 24, 2011,