Hey, at band practice recently I've been playing my Bugera V22 combo amp. I've had it for about 1 year and 4 months, and just recently the sound has started to die out. The power and stuff will remain on, there will just be no sound, and I'll have to turn it off for a while, then turn it on again, for the sound to come back.

What do you guys think this problem is? Could it be my power valves, and that I need to install new ones? If so, which valves should I buy for my amp? I'd prefer to not have to bias it and stuff, so I assume the valves I would have to get would be the original ones that came in the amp (i haven't changed them since I got the amp), which I assume are Bugera EL84's? Do I simply just unscrew the valves and put new ones in?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it, I'm a noob to this and I just want a bit of advice/clarification before I rush into it and buy some wrong valves or something, haha
Ya it seems like you just need new tubes. Honestly though id get some nice JJs and just go to the trouble of rebiasing it. the sound improvement wil be worth it. And yes, EL84s. You could also get some nicer 12AX7s too for even more improvement.
Quote by dotheFlop
Do I simply just unscrew the valves and put new ones in?

Just pull out the old tubes (or valves). You may have to gently wiggle them back and forth a bit, but they should pull right out. Then just push the new ones in the socket. Make sure you line up the pins before you push the new ones in.

Also, it's a good idea to spray some electrical contact cleaner on the pins of the new tubes, and put them in/take them out a few times. Just cleans things up and helps to make sure you make a good connection.
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster
Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR, Vintage Fender Twin Reverb (early SF)
Effects from Wampler, Keeley, and others

Session Guitarist out of Pittsburgh
So I bought new power valves (2 bugera el84's, same as before) and replaced the existing, but I'm still getting this problem It really sucks because I've not been able to practice with my bands for ages.. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Thanks
Does your amp have an effects loop? If so, plug your guitar directly into the "return" jack of the loop and hit a note. If you get sound, then your power section is fine. Maybe a preamp tube died, and you're getting no signal through to the power section.

EDIT:

Also, just buying bugera's branded tubes doesn't mean you don't have to bias the amp. If the bias on your amp is adjustable, then you should adjust it (or at least check it) any time you change tubes. Bugera doesn't make tubes anyway, they just buy them from a manufacturer (probably the same one that supplies half the other tube companies) in bulk and put their logo on them.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Mar 31, 2011,
I tried plugging my guitar into the return jack of the effects loop, but still no sound.. earlier I noticed that one of the three smaller valves (a preamp valve) isn't lit up.. could this be the problem?
Quote by dotheFlop
I tried plugging my guitar into the return jack of the effects loop, but still no sound.. earlier I noticed that one of the three smaller valves (a preamp valve) isn't lit up.. could this be the problem?

Sounds likely to me. Preamp tubes are cheaper than Power, and don't require bias'ing. Still, I'd replace the preamp tubes (all of them) and then rebias the power tubes.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's