Hey guysss!

So I realised a week or 2 ago that the intonation is "weird" in my guitar. All strings are just fine (or VERY close to fine so im fine with it) exept the D string (E standard, D, 4th string). The weird thing about is that when I check the intonation (in perfect tune) I play a natural harmonic on the 12th fret, and thats in tune. Now I at least think that this says my guitar is intonated, but when I actually fret the 12th fret, it gets sharp. I dont have perfect ear but I can definately hear the difference. If I play quickly through those notes around there (playing alone) you might not be able to hear it, but when you listen to the note alone carefully, its easily audible.

Any thoughts what this is caused by??

thanks in advance!
Jonathan
The harmonic on the 12th fret will always be in perfect tune with the open string. That's physics. If it's out when you fret the 12th fret, then your intonation is off. I'd get the guitar set up if you don't know what to do, or learn. You're definitely better off learning at some point. It will save you lots of money in the long run, and every guitarist should be able to set up their guitars. Just google it and you'll find lots of info. Keep in mind it's different for different styles of guitar (Les Paul vs. Strat for example).
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
yeah thanks! I guess I didnt think enough. I mean, the natural harmonic of the 12th is always in tune, BUT if your intonation is badly off, the LOCATION of the 12th natural can actually be 1 or more millimeters away from the fret. Thats logic. I already know how to set intonation, allthough im not the best pro in it. And I play an ESP M-II Deluxe with an OFR.

thanks!
Quote by fc89konkari
Hey guysss!

So I realised a week or 2 ago that the intonation is "weird" in my guitar. All strings are just fine (or VERY close to fine so im fine with it) exept the D string (E standard, D, 4th string). The weird thing about is that when I check the intonation (in perfect tune) I play a natural harmonic on the 12th fret, and thats in tune. Now I at least think that this says my guitar is intonated, but when I actually fret the 12th fret, it gets sharp. I dont have perfect ear but I can definately hear the difference. If I play quickly through those notes around there (playing alone) you might not be able to hear it, but when you listen to the note alone carefully, its easily audible.

Any thoughts what this is caused by??

thanks in advance!
Jonathan

sometimes a high, uneven fret or a dent in the string.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I replace strings once a month and Ive noticed this with 2 different sets.
No bad work in this guitar, its an ESP M-II Deluxe from -92. Although it has original frets, they are in great condition especially thinking about the age, this is cause this guitar wasn't been played that much before I bought it last year. The frets also had the casual fret job done and they look good. Never replaced though..

cheers
Quote by fc89konkari
I replace strings once a month and Ive noticed this with 2 different sets.
No bad work in this guitar, its an ESP M-II Deluxe from -92. Although it has original frets, they are in great condition especially thinking about the age, this is cause this guitar wasn't been played that much before I bought it last year. The frets also had the casual fret job done and they look good. Never replaced though..

cheers

so then intonate that string by comparing the open note to the fretted 12th and f the harmonic.

it'll sound better to your ear.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011