My band has been playing in our area for about 2 years now, opening for some big metal acts, (ensiferum, korpiklaani, atheist, nile) to name a few. We are looking to step up our act so we look more like a professional band. Stage props was one of the things i thought looked really good when a touring band came a long. We have a pretty bad ass drawing that we will be using for an upcoming release. I thought it would look great on a small stage banner. Those that are typically put in front of the amplifiers.

Anybody have a good place in the US to get these done? Also any other suggestions on stepping up a live act?

We're working on getting a good stage wardrobe, synchronizing moves, well taken pictures. We arent spending a lot of money, and we definitely have playing well and knowing the songs on the top of our list. Just looking for ideas on that little extra.
my bands always had one banner over each amp and a big one to hang up on a curtain rail and it really does make you look more professional other then that we didn't have much but for a couple lights
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
Banner is a good thing (just google custom banners to find a place), chains and such make for a good metal wardrobe, burning things onstage is awesome (but not always practical), but the main thing to remember is this: if youre enjoying it, the crowd is most likely going to enjoy it with you. Just have fun with it
yeah the place that did our merch did out banners the big one was like ****ing 350 bucks haha but money from shows payed it off, and yeah my heavier band always head in sync squats and we did the running man thing and we did guitar spinds in sync in a couple of our songs, just keep the crowd goin haha
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
been finding on google websites that make generic banners, for like presentations and advertisements. Would these be good places to go to? Im also reluctant to just pick a place from google. The last place i found on google made our tshirts, and was supposed to make us stickers as well. They took 3 months to send the tshirts, after i threatened a bank chargeback. then they never send the stickers which we paid for (80 bucks) now the website does not exist anymore. This is why i ask if anyone has good experience with a website.
Try looking one up in your area so you can actually go down and talk to them. We got a quality banner made up by the same shop that did our T-shirts, so a T-shirt place might be worth asking.
Ever think of pulling an Iron Maiden and getting someone to dress up like the dude in the picture? I think that would be pretty bad ass, having somebody on stage sitting in some sort of throne like that, acting like a statue, then at some point during the show getting up and interacting with you guys or the crowd.
I like the idea of having someone dress up, but instead of getting some random guy sitting on stage for 45 minutes, why don't you all dress up like that? It would look like some crazy druid band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I like the idea of having someone dress up, but instead of getting some random guy sitting on stage for 45 minutes, why don't you all dress up like that? It would look like some crazy druid band.

we'd probably get called out on copying Sunn0))) but i like it. Maybe just have our vocalist do it, since he is like 6'6 and then the rest of us in something similar.
First off have the banner redone, the red glow around the bandname looks like shit on the purple background.. Just because you often see a red glow around metal bands names, doesnt mean it will automatically look good on any background.. And this is a prime example of when it does not!

Maybe change it to a white glow instead, or like a smoke effect?

Just my two cents, I'm a graphic designer so I have some knowlegde about these things..
I'd get the vocalist to wear something like that in the picture sit in a throne, aswell as putting some props around the stage to fit the setting.
Maybe start the gig that way. Dim the lights, have him sit in a throne-like prop and have a short orchestral intro track open, and the rest of the band enters in some similar outfits. If you can add some smoke machine and such.
Make it a bit theater like.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Quote by Gulli05
I'd get the vocalist to wear something like that in the picture sit in a throne, aswell as putting some props around the stage to fit the setting.
Maybe start the gig that way. Dim the lights, have him sit in a throne-like prop and have a short orchestral intro track open, and the rest of the band enters in some similar outfits. If you can add some smoke machine and such.
Make it a bit theater like.

That sounds awful. If I saw a band do that I'd laugh my ass off then leave.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by asator
That sounds awful. If I saw a band do that I'd laugh my ass off then leave.

Well, theatrics are pretty cool. I'm sorry that you can't appriciate it.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Last edited by Gulli05 at Mar 17, 2011,
I don't know what size you're looking at, but I've gotten jerseys done by Animal Paintball and they do vinyl banners for $6/square foot and 5"x2" standing banners for $100. Might work for you.

For Gulli's idea... I don't think the idea itself is bad, but people might not take it seriously unless it's a big-name band doing it. Also, I'm listening to some of the OP's music now, I don't really think they quite fit together.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Quote by Chaosinborn
we'd probably get called out on copying Sunn0))) but i like it. Maybe just have our vocalist do it, since he is like 6'6 and then the rest of us in something similar.

Haha. Well it is an undeniably cool look. I've personally never heard of Sunn0 until you mentioned them. The singer is a cool idea, maybe the rest of you guys can dress up as something else too if you want to avoid that comparison.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Mephysteaux
I don't know what size you're looking at, but I've gotten jerseys done by Animal Paintball and they do vinyl banners for $6/square foot and 5"x2" standing banners for $100. Might work for you.

For Gulli's idea... I don't think the idea itself is bad, but people might not take it seriously unless it's a big-name band doing it. Also, I'm listening to some of the OP's music now, I don't really think they quite fit together.

Tne free 3 tracks I posted a year ago were recorded in my bedroom using a 2x12 and 1 sm57 going into my computer via a line 6 interface. I dont know if its the lack of heavyness, or what you mean by that the music doesnt fit.
You don't want a regular vinyl banner, they'd block the sound from the amps and just sound bad, you want something else which is called something else... which I forget... skidds? skiffs? I don't know. but they're like screens and won't block the sound nearly as bad as a big vinyl sheet would.

I'd look at a bigger local band, or a smaller regional band and see if they're sponsored by any merch companies and get in touch with them. They'd know. Or go talk to a band who has them after a show and see what they know.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by zach in black
Someone probably already said this, but....STONEHENGE!!!

No, but it should have been the first reply. That my my thinking---- they were a Spinal Tap tribute band.
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
You don't want a regular vinyl banner, they'd block the sound from the amps and just sound bad, you want something else which is called something else... which I forget... skidds? skiffs? I don't know. but they're like screens and won't block the sound nearly as bad as a big vinyl sheet would.

I'd look at a bigger local band, or a smaller regional band and see if they're sponsored by any merch companies and get in touch with them. They'd know. Or go talk to a band who has them after a show and see what they know.

yeah i know a couple, just havent been able to catch them online.

We're looking for some of those cloth ones that wont block sound.
Quote by Chaosinborn
Tne free 3 tracks I posted a year ago were recorded in my bedroom using a 2x12 and 1 sm57 going into my computer via a line 6 interface. I dont know if its the lack of heavyness, or what you mean by that the music doesnt fit.

Sorry for the late response.
Not the sound quality, and not a lack of heaviness, I'm not saying your music is bad at all. I just don't think the mascot and the thrash quality you have connect to each other well. When I see him, I think of something slower, a little more brooding, maybe with some synthesized orchestral instruments and some clean vocals with something like chorus or subtle reverb thrown on them. The best example I can think of would be the second half of Maelstrom Mephisto by Dimmu Borgir, but I don't think that kind of sound is really what you're aiming for.

Then again, I lack experience, so it's entirely possible that I don't know what I'm talking about. This is just sort of my instinct on the matter.

Also, just to throw this out there, there's this sci fi show from the 90s called Lexx, which you can stream on Netflix. The first season has a character who that really reminds me of called His Divine Shadow, and has some rather interesting music associated with him. Maybe try watching that, see if it gives you any ideas.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Quote by Mephysteaux
Not the sound quality, and not a lack of heaviness, I'm not saying your music is bad at all. I just don't think the mascot and the thrash quality you have connect to each other well. When I see him, I think of something slower, a little more brooding, maybe with some synthesized orchestral instruments and some clean vocals with something like chorus or subtle reverb thrown on them. The best example I can think of would be the second half of Maelstrom Mephisto by Dimmu Borgir, but I don't think that kind of sound is really what you're aiming for.

Then again, I lack experience, so it's entirely possible that I don't know what I'm talking about. This is just sort of my instinct on the matter.

Also, just to throw this out there, there's this sci fi show from the 90s called Lexx, which you can stream on Netflix. The first season has a character who that really reminds me of called His Divine Shadow, and has some rather interesting music associated with him. Maybe try watching that, see if it gives you any ideas.

That's pretty specific...
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Yeah, good quality backdrops are generaly quite expensive to have done, especially colour ones, but you can quite easily make your own more affordable backdrops.

Firstly, the thing about colour banners is that under a light show, they tend not to show up too well, the different coloured lights often tend to cancel out colours on the backdrop, for instance, if you have a backdrop that is predominantly red, a red light on stage will make it hard to see. This is why you see so many bands that have a simple white design on a black background, because that will continue to be seen clearly under any colour of light.

So, how to make one.

Take a big piece of black cloth, (canvas is best) and hang it on a wall.
Now take your design, whether it's just lettering or a logo of some sort, and scan it into a computer, use an art program like 'paint' or something to convert it to a purely black and white image (if it isn't already) and either use a computer projector to project it onto the fabric or print it off as a transparency and use a normal projector.

Next, just trace out all the white parts (because the banner is black, there's no need to include these) using chalk (tailor's chalk is best) and paint in the white parts using ordinary household white emulsion paint. A few coats may be required.

Once it's dry roll it around a large cardboard tube, you can get these from any carpet warehouse, infact, they usualy throw them away, so check out their rubbish skips and you may just get one for free. Don't ever fold it or the paint will crack.
Quote by Mephysteaux

I gotcha. I can definitely understand what you mean, our sound has definitely moved a bit away from what you hear there. We sound a lot more on the melo-death, neoclassical side which is what we were originally aiming for but didnt want to over reach with our first songs.