Page 1 of 2
Hi, lets get straight to the point:

Budget: 1200 Euro (1670 USD / 1040 GBP / 1690 AUD / 1650 CAD)
Current Gear: ENGL Blackmore Head with matching ENGL 412 Cab and a crappy guitar, not worth metioning (got a crappy guitar because the money was spent on the amp).
I'm willing to go used, but the market of used items is very limited here, so...
Genre: Thrash Metal
Sound: Crunchy is what i'm looking for the most. Sounds that i like are:
- solo sound from Rust In Peace and United Abomanations and solo and rhythm sound from Endgame by Megadeth (crunchy solo sound)
- solo sound from John Petrucci's solo album (full solo sound)
- rhythm sound from Evile's song Plague To End All Plagues (best rhytm tone ever (full palm mutes))
- rhythm sound from Guns N Roses' Use Your Illusion (crunchy)
- rhythm from Trivium's Crusade album (dont know actual name of the album, but its the crusade or something like that) (crunchy)
- rhythm sound from Slayer's God Hates Us All
- rhythm and solo sound from Exodus' Exibit A and Exibit B (the album names are longer, but they have 'Exhibit' A and 'Exhibit B' in their name, just google)

The Guitar:
Things that just need to be there:
- It has to be from a well known and very good brand: in my eyes, these are: Ibanez, ESP (and LTD), Dean, Jackson, B.C. Rich (high end ones), DBZ (heard a lot of good things about them, and they look hella sexy), gibson, fernandes, and some more that i cant remember right now. also, i dont care if you agree with this list, dont go like 'BC RICH IS SHIT DUDE F YOU!!!!!!!!!!11!!1!1!!!
- 24 frets
- no pickguard
- 2 humbuckers
- easy acces to 24 frets (this excludes practically all V's and Z's and some other shapes)
- Alder or Mahogony Body

Things I prefer or dont care about etc:
- dont care if its neck thru, set neck or bolt on, but i prefer it in said order...
- dont care if its TOM, string thru body, floyd rose etc.. when chosen a floyd, prefered is a original one, and NO KAHLER!
- dont care about how many controlls (volume/tone). prefered is 2 volume.
- dont care if it has a middle pickup
- dont care about shape (body/head stock). just not ffing ugly.
- dont care about fret markers at all
- prefered are pickups rings (almost all guitar have that, so that shoudnt be to hard..)

maybe i forgot something, just ask, i'll edit it in...

also, budget of 1200 euros is limit. not stretching it (well, maybe 50 euros, or a 100, but thats it)

thanks in advance.

EDIT 1: prefered is an ebony fingerboard, and a maple or mahogony neck.

EDIT 2: other guitar companies i like: Schecter and PRS

EDIT 3: prefered pickups are Seymour Duncans, the Blackouts being my favourite. i'm also fine with bareknuckle, emg, dimarzio.

EDIT 4: maple top (flame or quilt, doesnt matter) prefered !!!!!!
1) Open Google Translator
2) Set it from English to Vietnamese
3) Type "Will Justin Bieber ever hit puberty"
4) Translate
5) Copy the Vietnamese text
6) Translate back from Vietnamese to English
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by bartnijman at Mar 16, 2011,
There's a ton of guitars that fit into those categories.

Maybe an Ibanez S5470. You might even have enough left to swap out the pickups.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
There's a ton of guitars that fit into those categories.

Maybe an Ibanez S5470. You might even have enough left to swap out the pickups.

not in my price range, at all... (at least not on www.musicstore.com and www.rockpalace.com)
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Quote by pinheadslts75

OH MY FFING GOD YES!!!

and enough left to buy some upgrades, and still have money left over!!!
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
you're from the netherlands rotterdam, im from netherlands too.

i suggest to go too rockpalace in Den Haag or Maxguitarstore in Den Haag

surely a ltd EC-1000 wouldn't hurt you're style although i doubt the crunchy use your illusions style tone from active pickups. i believe slash and izzy(on the record itself) used seymour duncan passives.

other than that i guess the only thing that's really good for it all are ibanez's

be sure to ask you're self if you need the 24 frets. what i mean to say is that my charvel san dimas has 22 frets and with a bend i can easily come to the '26th' fret note.
A thrash metal guitar? Probably you'd like a Jackson SL3/MG. That'd be with a rosewood fingerboard, but I don't really hear/see a huge difference in anything else than looks and if you got a Jackson DKMG, you'd have some money left for other useful stuff. Also the new B.C. Rich ASM Pros look quite good, don't know if you have any store near you to try them though, cause I can only say that they look quite good and the specs are nice. http://www.bcrich.com/bcrichNew/models/guitars/ASM/ASM-Pro/50

V's and Z's excluded from easy access to 24 frets?? I hope you do mean that you include them cause I think that B.C. Rich JRV's have a really easy access to the 24th fret.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Mar 16, 2011,
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Sakke
A thrash metal guitar? Probably you'd like a Jackson SL3/MG. That'd be with a rosewood fingerboard, but I don't really hear/see a huge difference in anything else than looks and if you got a Jackson DKMG, you'd have some money left for other useful stuff. Also the new B.C. Rich ASM Pros look quite good, don't know if you have any store near you to try them though, cause I can only say that they look quite good and the specs are nice. http://www.bcrich.com/bcrichNew/models/guitars/ASM/ASM-Pro/50

V's and Z's excluded from easy access to 24 frets?? I hope you do mean that you include them cause I think that B.C. Rich JRV's have a really easy access to the 24th fret.

that bc rich looks very good indeed.

and about the v's and z's: 99% of them have a lot of wood in front of the 22-24 fret. maybe there are some exceptions.

i have owned a dean vendetta, wich has super acces to 24 fret (no wood anywhere near it) and i have owned a jackson kelly, that had 24 frets, but i couldnt use the 23 and 24 fret, they were practically out of reach (if you are playing a fast solo).

i just dont want a guitar for 1000 euros that i cant use for a 100%, thats all
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Sledgeman

1: i like it, but it doesnt have the pickups or the trem i want, and i think that for a guitar that is even out of my budget, it should be 'perfect'. i am loving the look/body/awesome neck but i think i'll go with the ESP horizon II before this one

2: not digging the look, but its okay. but again the trem and pups. also, not thats a minus or anything, whats up with the 26.5 scale lenght? never played that lenght before. anyway, still going with the esp horizon II
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
The ESP looks great! Can you find that in Europe or do you have to import it from US? I'm not sure how it is in The Netherlands but i guess it's the same as in Sweden. You have to pay customs and taxes on everything imported from outside EU!? Can become a rather expensive guitar.

*Edit*
Ouch!! Found it on Thomann in different color. Beautiful but not cheap!

http://www.thomann.de/nl/esp_horizon_ntii_dkbsb.htm
Last edited by Sledgeman at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by bartnijman
1: i like it, but it doesnt have the pickups or the trem i want, and i think that for a guitar that is even out of my budget, it should be 'perfect'. i am loving the look/body/awesome neck but i think i'll go with the ESP horizon II before this one

2: not digging the look, but its okay. but again the trem and pups. also, not thats a minus or anything, whats up with the 26.5 scale lenght? never played that lenght before. anyway, still going with the esp horizon II

why don't you go to rockpalace ( they have ESP's )
and test out them...

buying a guitar without testing it isn't good...
you don't know if you are liking it...

Quote by Sledgeman
The ESP looks great! Can you find that in Europe or do you have to import it from US? I'm not sure how it is in The Netherlands but i guess it's the same as in Sweden. You have to pay customs and taxes on everything imported from outside EU!? Can become a rather expensive guitar.]

we have a shop here that sells it, and we have thomann off course
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
why don't you go to rockpalace ( they have ESP's )
and test out them...

buying a guitar without testing it isn't good...
you don't know if you are liking it...

we have a shop here that sells it, and we have thomann off course

yes, America: 1400 dollars, Holland: 1700 Euros
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
i know....
i have that too XD
with a carvin v3m head ( 600$ america and 1050€ europe :'( )

just buy a dutch-branded custom guitar XD ( can't name one )

but jacksons are great
i dunno about the wood etc, but i played one at feedback, and it felt GREAT ( 700 euro ) and maybe then a pick upgrade
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
i know....
i have that too XD
with a carvin v3m head ( 600$ america and 1050€ europe :'( )

just buy a dutch-branded custom guitar XD ( can't name one )

but jacksons are great
i dunno about the wood etc, but i played one at feedback, and it felt GREAT ( 700 euro ) and maybe then a pick upgrade

what jackson?
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
My ibanez...

Alder body.
quilt maple.top.
dimarzios
24 frets
original edge

more details are linked in my Sig.

Sure we could work something out....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Jackson Dinky MG Series DKMG BK Electrische gitaar

* Colour: black
* Construction Type: Solid body
* Neck construction: Bolted neck
* Strings: 6 strings
* Frets: 24
* Mensur: 25,5" / 648mm
* Body: alder
* Top: Flamed maple
* Neck: Maple
* Fret board: Rosewood
* Fretboard Inlays: Tooth position inlays
* Pickup: H-H, 2x humbucker
* Pickup Neck: EMG 85
* Pickup Bridge: EMG 81
* Pick up selecter: 3-way switch
* Controls: 1x volume, 1x tone
* Bridge / Tremolo: Floyd Rose style
* Hardware: black
* Specials: Reversed headstock

it seems great ( i didn't test loads of guitars in feedback, but you have to take a look at feedback )
it's a 10 minute walk from the station ( rotterdam noord )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
look at the cort x-3 its cheap, has a ffloyd copy, with the money you have left over you could upgrade to blackouts or emgs, change the floyd and probly have money left over, i have the x-2SA which has a really metal looking graphic and i love and i changed the p'ups to emg actives and its tone and sustain is amazing
Quote by Tom 1.0
My ibanez...

Alder body.
quilt maple.top.
dimarzios
24 frets
original edge

when he can give you 1200 for that, it's a KILLER DEAL ( and angus hates you more )

i'm gonna sleep LOL
BYE XD
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
Jackson Dinky MG Series DKMG BK Electrische gitaar

* Colour: black
* Construction Type: Solid body
* Neck construction: Bolted neck
* Strings: 6 strings
* Frets: 24
* Mensur: 25,5" / 648mm
* Body: alder
* Top: Flamed maple
* Neck: Maple
* Fret board: Rosewood
* Fretboard Inlays: Tooth position inlays
* Pickup: H-H, 2x humbucker
* Pickup Neck: EMG 85
* Pickup Bridge: EMG 81
* Pick up selecter: 3-way switch
* Controls: 1x volume, 1x tone
* Bridge / Tremolo: Floyd Rose style
* Hardware: black
* Specials: Reversed headstock

it seems great ( i didn't test loads of guitars in feedback, but you have to take a look at feedback )
it's a 10 minute walk from the station ( rotterdam noord )

amazing...

i'll check it out.
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Tom 1.0
My ibanez...

Alder body.
quilt maple.top.
dimarzios
24 frets
original edge

sorry, i would rather buy from a store with insurance and all that...
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Mason 95
look at the cort x-3 its cheap, has a ffloyd copy, with the money you have left over you could upgrade to blackouts or emgs, change the floyd and probly have money left over, i have the x-2SA which has a really metal looking graphic and i love and i changed the p'ups to emg actives and its tone and sustain is amazing

the thing about cheaper guitars is that they dont only have non premium parts, the building quality (so the overall quallity) is much lower then lets say an ibanez prestige with the same specs...
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Quote by bartnijman
sorry, i would rather buy from a store with insurance and all that...

Fair play.

Pm freepower about me if you like.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I know the S5470 is out of your pricerange, but I'd seriously suggest saving up for one, I got one myself and I seriously can't imagine ever replacing it
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
funny thing is that by being so amenable regarding the specs, it's actually making it very hard to narrow anything down. Don't get me wrong, it's cool that you're so easy-going- plus it also means that if a good deal comes along on a random guitar you can take advantage of it- just it makes it hard to think of anything offhand.

With $1200, and for the type of music you're playing, personally i'd try to get a vigier for that kind of money, though that might be pushing it. Some of the french-made Lags can be had for around that kind of money too (certainly the older New Old Stock ones), but I've only tried the Chinese-made ones (which were nice, but hopefully the French ones are nicer).

Failing that, MIJ Ibanez Prestige or one of the higher-end MIJ neck-thru Jacksons would probably be my choice. Assuming there's not something obvious that I'm missing.

EDIT: if you can stretch to 1300 euro or so you can get an esp MII on thomann... that would also be well worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 16, 2011,
see apart from the mahogany/ebony neck my guitar is bang on the money lol

oh well

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Dave_Mc
funny thing is that by being so amenable regarding the specs, it's actually making it very hard to narrow anything down. Don't get me wrong, it's cool that you're so easy-going- plus it also means that if a good deal comes along on a random guitar you can take advantage of it- just it makes it hard to think of anything offhand.

With $1200, and for the type of music you're playing, personally i'd try to get a vigier for that kind of money, though that might be pushing it. Some of the french-made Lags can be had for around that kind of money too (certainly the older New Old Stock ones), but I've only tried the Chinese-made ones (which were nice, but hopefully the French ones are nicer).

Failing that, MIJ Ibanez Prestige or one of the higher-end MIJ neck-thru Jacksons would probably be my choice. Assuming there's not something obvious that I'm missing.

EDIT: if you can stretch to 1300 euro or so you can get an esp MII on thomann... that would also be well worth considering.

the esp MII, you mean this one right?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_m_ii_seymour_duncan_rw_blk.htm

it looks great.
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
So, i have narrowed it down to this:

Ibanez S5470, 1500 USD, have to ship it too.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S5470-Prestige-Electric-Guitar?sku=518112
(Invalid img)

ESP LTD Deluxe MH-1000, 800 USD, have to ship it. Enought money left to upgrade (pups for example)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-MH1000-Electric-Guitar-with-EMGs?sku=512954

ESP Horizon NT-II, 1400 USD, have to ship it.
http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_900270483?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=bingshop

Jackson SL3MG Soloist, 1200 Euro
http://www.thomann.de/nl/jackson_sl3mg_soloist_bk.htm
(Invalid img)

B.C. Rich ASM Pro, 700 USD, have to ship, enough left for upgrades
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-ASM-Pro-Electric-Guitar?sku=516093
(Invalid img)

Jackson Dinky MG Series DKMG, 850 USD, have to ship, enough left for upgrades
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DKMGBLK/
(Invalid img)

ESP M-II, 1300 Euro
http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_m_ii_seymour_duncan_rw_blk.htm
(Invalid img)

I CANT CHOSE
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Horizon NT-II.

though all those guitars are widely available in Europe so why you think shipping from the states, with no insurance or warranty is a good idea, is beyond me.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Mar 17, 2011,
The best choices are the Ibanez, Horizon, M-II, and Jackson Soloist.

The M-II will give you that Metallica sound. The only real differences between the M-II and KH-II are that the KH-2 is bolt on and has an EMG 60 in the neck.

The Ibanez Prestige is incredible. Oli Herbert uses one, and it gives him a pretty great variety of tones. And it has a great trem. I've played the S5470 and want it. A lot. But it's out of my price range However, I don't know if it's meant for crunchy thrash metal.

Horizon has no trem, but it plays like butter, sounds even better, and IIRC is a set-thru neck, which is, IMO, the best of both worlds between neck-thru and set-neck. Plus, it's beautiful.

The Soloist is a very solid choice as well. I don't think it's as good a choice as the others.

I do think Tom 1.0's Ibanez would be a good idea, and he lives in Europe, which makes it easier than the US. Just think about it.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Horizon NT-II.

though all those guitars are widely available in Europe so why you think shipping from the states, with no insurance or warranty is a good idea, is beyond me.

thomann: 1700 euros
states: 1400 dollars

unless you can prove me wrong. and if you can, and i hope you can, i'll give you a virtual coockie
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by bartnijman at Mar 17, 2011,
Quote by trueamerican
The best choices are the Ibanez, Horizon, M-II, and Jackson Soloist.

The M-II will give you that Metallica sound. The only real differences between the M-II and KH-II are that the KH-2 is bolt on and has an EMG 60 in the neck.

The Ibanez Prestige is incredible. Oli Herbert uses one, and it gives him a pretty great variety of tones. And it has a great trem. I've played the S5470 and want it. A lot. But it's out of my price range However, I don't know if it's meant for crunchy thrash metal.

Horizon has no trem, but it plays like butter, sounds even better, and IIRC is a set-thru neck, which is, IMO, the best of both worlds between neck-thru and set-neck. Plus, it's beautiful.

The Soloist is a very solid choice as well. I don't think it's as good a choice as the others.

I do think Tom 1.0's Ibanez would be a good idea, and he lives in Europe, which makes it easier than the US. Just think about it.

thanks, those 4 were indeed the ones i was most looking at.

of course, i'll see if i can try them somewhere.

in case i cant, do you know other guitars that might FEEL the same? feel as in, how it plays (neck fret access etc).
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Quote by bartnijman

unless you can prove me wrong. and if you can, and i hope you can, i'll give you a virtual coockie

My guitar.

I really need it gone, if you want references for my decency feel free to pm Freepower, he is a mod here for check my ebay profile..

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/tom1312424

i would sell for spot on your budget of 1200, a ****ing steal.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by bartnijman

Correct me if i'm wrong. First of all, interstatemusic.com doesn't ship outside US as far as i can tell. And even if they do, if you add costs for shipment, customs fees and 19% VAT, it's what you have in the Netherlands isn't it?, a $1400 guitar will end up costing at least $1800. Still cheaper than here but be sure to read upp on all the costs before you import.
For your money, TS, Tom's J Custom Ibanez is your best best. 1200 Euros is well worth it.

But if you really don't want to buy it, then I have to say that it's not worth importing a guitar. If you're going to the US soon, I'd wait, bring your shitty guitar in a flight case, buy the guitar you want, place in flight case and then go back to your country. It works.

But if you're not going to the US anytime soon (more than likely), go for the Soloist or M-II. They're quite similar guitars, actually, so I'd just base it on if you prefer the ESP neck or the Jackson neck.

(Also, TS, I just followed the instructions in your sig )
I don't understand how V's aren't easy to access all 24 frets O_o

They really, really are.

But yeah, go with the MH-1000, I have one and it hasn't failed me, ever.
Another thing you should look at is the MH327, it has 27 frets and wicked tone, I have one as well and it is absolutely perfect.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Page 1 of 2