What is it you're supposed to do to become better at it?
I've been transcribing and I'm getting alittle better, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Obviously you're supposed to be try to find the chords out and stuff by listening and then try to duplicate the sound on your guitar but is that it? Is there anything else?
Should I be listening to certain stuff?
Last edited by schism8 at Mar 16, 2011,
I rarely transcribe, but it seems a lot of it would just be experience, if you play a wide variety of guitar enough, you can usually tell tunings/note placement (within a certain genre).
Poop.

Yes, poop.
try to transcribe anything and everything you hear. Movie soundtracks, advertisement music, phone ringtones, heck everything you hear. That will improve your transcribing skills and also make you fammiliar with different kinds of music.
Listen to stuff then check tabs or sheet music etc. Other than that, practice like crazy. It's not a thing that can be picked up quickly, atleast by most people.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
So that's it? Just practice? the way I'm doing for example my current song I'm doing is "Strip My Mind" by RHCP. I've just began so I'm figuring out the opening chords. Anyways, I start the song and listen to the first chord, stop the song, try finding the chord out when I do(I gennerally play the chord over the chord when it's played in the song to make sure it's right), Do the same process with the next chord. This also applys with solos, only note by note.

Also, dhruvrajvanshi, how do I do that? Like try and transcribe it on the spot with-out, stoping it?!

Also guys I'm not trying to do this fast. I know it takes time and I'm willing to take the time to learn this.
I just want to know if I'm doing it right.

EDIT: Also, I do check my work usually from tabs off this site. Unless it's for example a improvised solo that is not on this site... tends to happen with a lot of RHCP solos. haha
Quote by schism8
So that's it? Just practice? the way I'm doing for example my current song I'm doing is "Strip My Mind" by RHCP. I've just began so I'm figuring out the opening chords. Anyways, I start the song and listen to the first chord, stop the song, try finding the chord out when I do(I gennerally play the chord over the chord when it's played in the song to make sure it's right), Do the same process with the next chord. This also applys with solos, only note by note.

Also, dhruvrajvanshi, how do I do that? Like try and transcribe it on the spot with-out, stoping it?!

Also guys I'm not trying to do this fast. I know it takes time and I'm willing to take the time to learn this.
I just want to know if I'm doing it right.

EDIT: Also, I do check my work usually from tabs off this site. Unless it's for example a improvised solo that is not on this site... tends to happen with a lot of RHCP solos. haha

Rhcp are great for this kind of stuff, very melodic. Not predictable but definitely simple. Keep at it

As for the solos without tabs, I'll tab any John solos if you ever need help with them. (Within reason, no 15 minute space jams )
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by Venice King
Rhcp are great for this kind of stuff, very melodic. Not predictable but definitely simple. Keep at it

As for the solos without tabs, I'll tab any John solos if you ever need help with them. (Within reason, no 15 minute space jams )

I plan on it.

And really? That'd be awesome. If I ever need help on one I'll def send you a message.
Yeah, I'm pretty good at John's solos, drop me a pm if you ever need help.

Oh, and learning theory helps alot, makes it seem less random etc.

EDIT: Also, singing notes helps, might seem stupid at first but will help associate intervals on fretboard with the sound in your head.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Last edited by Venice King at Mar 16, 2011,
Alright, will do.

Oh and yeah, I use theory. Took the guessing right out of Make You Feel Better when I found the key. Not that it's was insanely hard but it still made it easier.
pause if possible. Don't try to transcribe something you've just heard. Just pick something fammiliar like a T.V. commercial that sounds easy. Don't bother with keys first. Just get the melody right.
Quote by dhruvrajvanshi
pause if possible. Don't try to transcribe something you've just heard. Just pick something fammiliar like a T.V. commercial that sounds easy. Don't bother with keys first. Just get the melody right.

Bad advice in my opinion...
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by Venice King
Bad advice in my opinion...

actually, when I started, I was pretty much tone deaf. I would get frustrated because no matter which key i played in, it always sounded right to me. So I stopped bothering about keys. It didn't do any harm to me.
I must admit I've got the singing advice before I just never use it. I can't seem to be able to do it.... Like I try but it never matches up to what I want it to.

EDIT: @dhruvrajvanshi
I'm not trying to say your advice is bad but it seems like that would be very, very hard for a beginner to do, or maybe I'm not getting what you mean.

You mean just pick a song I know or from a commercial with-out hearing it and try and play it? Or you mean don't keep replaying a song like I'm doing and try and transcribe it?
Quote by schism8
You mean just pick a song I know or from a commercial with-out hearing it and try and play it? Or you mean don't keep replaying a song like I'm doing and try and transcribe it?

I mean easy stuff. And stuff that you're REALLY fammiliar with...like your national anthem or something...you get what i mean?
Quote by schism8
What is it you're supposed to do to become better at it?
I've been transcribing and I'm getting alittle better, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Obviously you're supposed to be try to find the chords out and stuff by listening and then try to duplicate the sound on your guitar but is that it? Is there anything else?
Should I be listening to certain stuff?

Start slowly, doing easy stuff.

Get it right.

Gradually increase the level of challenge in pieces you transcribe.

My only challenges are picking out precise voicings in advanced chordal (jazzesque) and hearing subtle things in a low mix. Fast things are also a challenge, not to play but to hear every last note.

That's it. You're supposed to get it right.

Sean