Hello there bass forum, I hope you lads and ladies have a wonderful day.

So, let's get the important stuff out of the way first: I'm cheap.

Second: I have a decent guitar rig, but no proper bass amp. Seeing as I adore the sound of my guitar amp when playing my bass through it, I thought I'd just use it. But word on the street is I might blow my speakers doing that. So I figure if I buy a proper bass cab, I should be safe (don't see how I could damage the head playing bass through it).

Good idea, bad idea?

Thinking about picking up a used 2x10" or 1x15" cab for that matter.

If it makes any difference (and for those of you who know about guitar stuff), the amp head is a Laney GH50L, basically a heavily modified Marshall JCM800 2204.

Thanks in advance fellas.
As far I know, if you use bass with a combo guitar amp designed for guitar, you could damage the SPEAKER, because it's not built to handle bass frequencies. So I think a bass cab would work.
Yep, it should work. Make sure to match the impedance mind. Quite a few bass players have used guitar heads with bass cabs, and a guitarist or two for that matter. Give's it a lot grit.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
My next purchase is going to be a guitar head.
I currently have three 300W cabs and no bloody pre-amps. I have just sold my other head and my remaining one is dying on me.

I prefere the tone from guitar pres for some reason. Maybe it's because when I was learning I used a 15 watt guitar amp.
Yeah, it sounds a whole lot different than a proper bass-head for sure. Gritty with lots of mids. Not as stable or powerful concerning the low-end though, but I can live with that. It's also not very powerful for a bass rig, but so far it's been loud enough.

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciated.

Can anyone recommend a decent cheap 2x10" or 1x15" cab while we're at it? I'll be buying it used preferably and would like to keep it under 200€ if at all possible.
Try a Hartke VX for an amazing cab for the price.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I haven't many good things about the VX series... But do keep a look out for all Hartke stuff, Ashdown, Warwick, Laney and Peavey. Stay away from Behringer.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Thanks.

I've heard some complaints about Laney's bass equipment (mostly the amps, not sure about the cabs). Any insights on that? (I'm not necessarily opposed to buying a Laney cab, I guess I just can't really evaluate if they're good or not.) I'll be honest, I don't know much about bass at all. I do know about Behringer's reputation, however.

The other brands, yeah, checking the usual sites for some used stuff. How about Hughes & Kettner? There's plenty of old, discontinued cabs from that brand available.
Quote by TheQuailman
Yeah, it sounds a whole lot different than a proper bass-head for sure. Gritty with lots of mids. Not as stable or powerful concerning the low-end though, but I can live with that. It's also not very powerful for a bass rig, but so far it's been loud enough.

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciated.

Can anyone recommend a decent cheap 2x10" or 1x15" cab while we're at it? I'll be buying it used preferably and would like to keep it under 200€ if at all possible.

Is used peavey common and cheap there? Here in the states, you could probably find a used 2*15 or 4*10 for around $150us (even cheaper for a single 15 or 2*10 like you mentioned). It's really sturdy stuff with decent sound.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 17, 2011,
Peavey isn't as common as, say, H&K or Warwick, but I've seen some of their lower-end cabs go for under 200€. Definitely looking into it.