I'm having a weird issue with my Gibson SG. The intonation is perfect all over the next except on the first few frets. If I play an F bar chord A note on the G string is extremely sharp. It's very noticeable and it sounds horrible.

I'm wondering if the nut is the problem and if the strings are sticking in there. I only use 10 gauge strings so I didn't think it would be an issue.

Do you guys/gals think the nut is the problem? If so, any solutions?
Master of the obvious here, but if the intonation is off, then it's off. The G string needs to be re-intonated properly (I think I just made up a word). Use a chromatic tuner and recheck the note and harmonic at the 12th fret. To the cent. And recheck all the strings...if it's apparent mostly when playing a chord it could be that the intonation on one string is slightly sharp while the adjacent string is slightly flat, making the chord sound dissonant. Important to do this last, however...after you are sure you have your action, string gauge, and neck relief all where you want them first.

If you have one of those guitars that just won't intonate properly for some reason, a pro installer can give you the Buzz Feiten http://www.buzzfeiten.com/ system, but I wouldn't waste the cash if you don't absolutely need to. I think it's between $120 - 150 USD to have installed.

Good luck
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by dkunick
Master of the obvious here, but if the intonation is off, then it's off. The G string needs to be re-intonated properly (I think I just made up a word). Use a chromatic tuner and recheck the note and harmonic at the 12th fret. To the cent. And recheck all the strings...if it's apparent mostly when playing a chord it could be that the intonation on one string is slightly sharp while the adjacent string is slightly flat, making the chord sound dissonant. Important to do this last, however...after you are sure you have your action, string gauge, and neck relief all where you want them first.

If you have one of those guitars that just won't intonate properly for some reason, a pro installer can give you the Buzz Feiten http://www.buzzfeiten.com/ system, but I wouldn't waste the cash if you don't absolutely need to. I think it's between $120 - 150 USD to have installed.

Good luck

I don't think that's the issue, as I said, "The intonation is perfect all over the next except on the first few frets."
Sounds like the nut sluts might be too low/not low enough. If they aren't cut right it throws off your intonation like that.
Quote by samhell
Sounds like the nut sluts might be too low/not low enough. If they aren't cut right it throws off your intonation like that.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I guess I'll have a luthier take a look at it as I'm not really equipped to start filing away at the nut.
Its a nut slot depth problem. Take it to a tech and have the issue addressed. The action at a particular point in the neck can affect the intonation at that point. Intonation is a compensation game. You will never truly have it perfect all over the neck because fretting a string changes its tension more or less than is expected depending on the action. For instance if you set the intonation and raise the action you may find that the notes are sharp in certain places. I find the G and B strings to be particularly sensitive to intonation issues. Maybe it is because of the chords I make and all that
Quote by shiner_man
Yeah, that's what I thought. I guess I'll have a luthier take a look at it as I'm not really equipped to start filing away at the nut.

Good idea. I build guitars so I have all the tools and whatnot but a set of nut files are a worthwhile purchase if you plan owning a few guitars and playing them for more than a few years.