Well, after about 8 years of playing, trash talking fenders and gibsons, saying my Schecters and Fernandes could take them any day of the week i have hit a wall. I use my Schecters for metal only, and im in a metal band so i really would rather not go taking them out of tuning and do all that transitioning. I have a habit of buying guitars for specific uses. Im about to get involved with some soft, indy type songs an a cover band of the calmer stuff...i feel like i need a guitar that fits that. I dont plan on using this nearly as much as the Schecters so i don't need to break the bank. After attempting to use an old Ibanez RG120 i realized this just isnt going to work. I searched the local classifieds and craigslist, came across a strat for $300 and figured its a little more than i wanted to spend but that would just be on point with what i need. Got all excited, got home, called the number....the guy claims i have the wrong number. The ad says no emails....so that's shot.

I dont really know if that one was a deal or not anyway though, as i said, ive never stepped into the bluesy kindve old school side of the guitar world. I headed to the music store and tried a strat. That one was an American strat or something. I fell in love. I've yet to play a Les Paul but ive always heard good things.

So, if i want to spend minimum money, on used or whatever, and im looking at only strats and les pauls, what should i look for? I dont want to spend too little and get something that falls short. I tried that before with the RG and it didnt work out...but then again i dont need another $1000 guitar. So i guess what im asking is what models should i stay away from if im looking for a kindve bluesy guitar with a fantastic clean sound...distortion is not a selling point at all with this one besides just the fact of versatility.

Also if you think im in the wrong brand, make some suggestions. Im lost in this genre. haha. Thanks a lot guys, you're always fantastic help here at UG!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin
Look man, I'm completely anti-Fender and Gibson - I think they are dinosaurs that price more for the brand name than the quality of their instruments, so I'm immediately going to suggest if you go Fender then go with a Squier Bullet - the pickups are kind of bland, but if you don't like them go buy some GFS Alnico V's for like 60 bucks, then you are still under 200$. People will say oh, Squier Bullets are trash blah blah blah, and maybe they were at one point, but I've tried several newer models and they are all really nice. My other suggestion is to check out Xaviere XV-870's from www.guitarfetish.com. They are about the equivalent of a MIM strat, but they are also under 200$. If you just have to have a nicer strat, find a used G&L Legacy - this is the company Leo Fender started because he didn't like the strats being made under his name and he started a new company with George Fullerton to correct some issues and make a better guitar. The tribute series new is the same price as a MIM strat but made with better wood, quality control and electronics. The used ones you can find on eBay for usually 2 - 3 hundred bucks. Give the finger to Fender and Gibson.
Quote by katalyzt13
Look man, I'm completely anti-Fender and Gibson - I think they are dinosaurs that price more for the brand name than the quality of their instruments, so I'm immediately going to suggest if you go Fender then go with a Squier Bullet - the pickups are kind of bland, but if you don't like them go buy some GFS Alnico V's for like 60 bucks, then you are still under 200$. People will say oh, Squier Bullets are trash blah blah blah, and maybe they were at one point, but I've tried several newer models and they are all really nice. My other suggestion is to check out Xaviere XV-870's from www.guitarfetish.com. They are about the equivalent of a MIM strat, but they are also under 200$. If you just have to have a nicer strat, find a used G&L Legacy - this is the company Leo Fender started because he didn't like the strats being made under his name and he started a new company with George Fullerton to correct some issues and make a better guitar. The tribute series new is the same price as a MIM strat but made with better wood, quality control and electronics. The used ones you can find on eBay for usually 2 - 3 hundred bucks. Give the finger to Fender and Gibson.

Dude, i swear, you took the words right out of my mouth. Your opinion of these two is the same as mine. I will definitely give these guitars a shot you mentioned.

However, i have seen mexican strats for pretty reasonable prices. are they decent quality?
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin
sorry but squier bullets are bottom of the barrel beginner guitars. crap wood, electronics and pickups. by the time you replace everything on them you might as well have just bought a better guitar to begin with. if you want to go the mod route at least get a squier infinity series or better yeat a standard. squier also has the CV series that are being praised by many fender players. MIM strats are generally of good quality however you do have to play a few to find the right one for you.
Squier Bullets aren't bad for beginner guitars but if you're really looking for something that'll last go with a used MIM Fender Strat and swap out the pickups later on if you feel the need.
Fenders will just have better wood than Squiers but if you don't care about tone much a Squier might do.

Les Pauls and Strats have a very different clean sound. I'd suggest trying both types out and see which one you prefer because both have been used in blues. You could also check out some Telecasters.
Guitars
Fender MIM Strat (Modded)
Tokai Love Rock
Squier Strat (Modded)

Effects
Boss DS-1, DD-7, RC-20XL
EHX Big Muff, Electric Mistress
Digitech Whammy

Amps
Vox VT50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Quote by Avs
Squier Bullets aren't bad for beginner guitars but if you're really looking for something that'll last go with a used MIM Fender Strat and swap out the pickups later on if you feel the need.
Fenders will just have better wood than Squiers but if you don't care about tone much a Squier might do.

Les Pauls and Strats have a very different clean sound. I'd suggest trying both types out and see which one you prefer because both have been used in blues. You could also check out some Telecasters.

thing is i cant try both. my town has the highest unemployment rate in the state and businesses dont thrive too well. The guitar stores around here sell nothing but low end jacksons, ibanezs, and epiphones. I was lucky to try a fender strat. the one i tried was american and had duncan pickups in it and i fell in love. i think i might actually go the Xavier route the guy above suggested. these things seem to be really nice.
If you want to hear the difference between the sound of a Les Paul and Stratocaster look them up on Youtube or find sound samples on google. Just remember that Youtube or low quality mp3's won't do the guitar tones justice but should give you some idea of how they differ.
Guitars
Fender MIM Strat (Modded)
Tokai Love Rock
Squier Strat (Modded)

Effects
Boss DS-1, DD-7, RC-20XL
EHX Big Muff, Electric Mistress
Digitech Whammy

Amps
Vox VT50
Orange Rockerverb 50
You can just get the standard MIM strat for a decent price on CL or something, maybe change the tuners or something so it doesn't go out of tune as much. I'd keep looking for a decent strat used if you're not really into the whole bluesy scene like you said. Just something reliable for what you're doing right now with your indie band or whatever.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
First off, let me say that despite what some other people say in this thread, do not buy a Squier Bullet. Even if that's the only thing in my post you listen to, just don't buy one. Sure, they're gonna seem nice enough in the store, and probably hold up to some MIM Strats, but let me tell you, in 3 months you are going to hate the shit out of the ****ing thing, and you will probably swear off Strats forever. Which is unfair to a vast majority of Stratocaster which will actually last a while.

Secondly, I have heard not very good things about the build quality of Xaviere Guitars, mostly that the require a massive setup (huge intonation problems, filing down the frets, replacing the nuts, tuners and most of the hardware, pretty much everything but the pickups) to make them playable. But, seeing as I've never ordered one myself (my friend ordered a Jazzmaster copy and he said it was a nightmare to setup and that's my whole experience), don't take my word for it.

My last advice is that Strats (even just Fenders) come in all sorts of conditions and sizes, so it's best to play a guitar (not the same type of guitar, the actual guitar that you're going to own) before you buy it. That being said, if you're willing to drive to maybe Greensboro, NC, there's a Guitar Center there (Sorry, I checked your profile for your location). They might not have the best service, but every single one I've been in has had an excellent collection of Squiers, Fenders, Gibsons and Epiphones.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
i generally feel the same. fenders and gibsons are real nice, but i wouldnt pay retail for them. and G and Ls embarass fenders.

and for a high end gibson...give me a PRS please.