I have been obsessed with learning guitar ever since I first picked one up about 15 months ago. It was a strat squire, a few months later I bought a mim strat and have used it until a few weeks ago when I bought a schecter hellraiser. Now my problem is the strings are so much further from the body than the strat I am having a hard time playing clean at all, I'm having problems muting strings, and anchoring is soo much different, my hand seems to be a mile away from the body. I know I know, I'm not supposed to anchor, but when ever I practice sweep picking I just can't play clean without anchoring my pinky. Is this a normal transition that I will get used to?
I would love to hear your guys oppinions on strings close to the body vs further from the body. I'm shure I'm not the first to encounter this problem so maybe someone with experience can enlighten me. I would hate to be pinned to one type of guitar, but maybe I will have to be I dont know please help a newbe.

P.S. I have kinda small hands if it matters at all.
You can get your guitar's action set more to your liking. Otherwise, you'll probably get used to it over time.

Personally, I like the strings to be closer to the body, but with raised strings, I just have to practice a little more slowly (to the point that it sounds clean).
umm 15 months of playing and you're sweep picking? Maybe it's not your guitar that's the problem; maybe your playing a bit too advanced or you could be a very fast learner.
Umm, you want to lower the action of the guitar. I won't explain how to do it as it's so easy to google. Try using the neck pickup for sweeping too.. sounds cooler to my ears somehow.
as far as not anchoring goes; plenty of guitarists anchor and have great technique. MAB for example, is amazingly fast and clean.
yea its just a simple action adjustment. action = distance between strings and body. lower action usually lets you play easier, but take away some sustain of your notes. nothing crazy. put your action too low, and your guitar will start to buzz. just go to that link whoomit gave and you should be good.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I may not be explaining myself very well. My action is great, this strings are super close to the fretboard like I love em, but the set neck sits pretty high off of the body so the strings at my picking hand are far from the body if that makes any sence.
Is it to early to sweep? I never took lessons or anything so that may be part of the problem. I mostly learn from youtube,tabs, and slowing songs down.
Last edited by cooper1965 at Mar 16, 2011,
Lots of responses from people who don't understand what you are referring to. A Schecter with its angled neck pocket and a Strat with a flat one will have drastically different measurements from the strings to the body of the guitar. This is NOT an issue about lowering action. I know exactly what the OP is talking about as I anchor my pinky as well and there is a HUGE feel difference when playing on guitars with angled neck pockets vs those without. Over time you will become more accustomed to it, but you will still find you prefer the ergonomics of one over the other.
totally differnt bridge set up is the problem so to speak. strats are flat and what you are playing now has a tune-o - matic type bridge (i assume). this can be a bit of a problem and i know what you mean. when i switch to my Esprit from my stratsw it takes a litle getting used to. your hand doesn't rest in the same manner and you will have to make some adjustments. perhaps beaking a bad habit will help or anchor your pinky on the strings behind the bridge.
Thank you for explaining it better webwarmiller. Wich style do you prefer, and do you think it will hinder my learning if I don't decide wich style I like quickly?
Quote by webwarmiller
Lots of responses from people who don't understand what you are referring to. A Schecter with its angled neck pocket and a Strat with a flat one will have drastically different measurements from the strings to the body of the guitar. This is NOT an issue about lowering action. I know exactly what the OP is talking about as I anchor my pinky as well and there is a HUGE feel difference when playing on guitars with angled neck pockets vs those without. Over time you will become more accustomed to it, but you will still find you prefer the ergonomics of one over the other.

Woops, shoulda paid more attention...
Good catch Webwarmiller
Quote by cooper1965
Thank you for explaining it better webwarmiller. Wich style do you prefer, and do you think it will hinder my learning if I don't decide wich style I like quickly?

I prefer the strings closer to the body, but can play just as well when they aren't. No, I don't think it will hinder you in the least.
^+1
I anchor too, and I'm used to guitars with little to no neck angle. When I play a guitar with a TOM bridge, it is a little awkward for a few minutes, but once you're used to it the transition is easy.
Thanks for the input guys, I do feel a little better. I just love the sound of my schecter, but i equally love the feel of my strat.
Quote by cooper1965
Thanks for the input guys, I do feel a little better. I just love the sound of my schecter, but i equally love the feel of my strat.

This is precisely what led Van Halen to build the now infamous Frankenstrat. He preferred the feel/playability of Strats but the sound of Gibsons and their HBs. So he installed a PAF into a Strat body and the rest is history.

Pretty much all my main guitars are HB equipped 'Strats'. Here's my #1 (made by me to the specs I wanted in a guitar)

Beautiful guitar !!! Just wow.....
You are the second person who has referred to van halen and my guitar prefrence.
About 2 months ago a cousin of the family who plays bass came over, and I played a bit for him. He said how the heck are you holding the pick that way, the only other person I ever heard of doing that was van halen. I would hold the pick with the pads of my thumb and 2 first fingers like i was making an eye shape. I have sice been holding it the "correct way".