Page 1 of 2
I am dog sitting for a friend and I was in my room playing my acoustic guitar and the dog came in, looked at me for a second and then walked out and she has been doing this everytime I play. It made me think; do dogs have a sence of music? Is it just noise to them? Do any animals know what music is?
Most likely. They can enjoy it I am pretty sure. Though of course all dogs have preferences, like humans. If a dog grows up hearing Metal, it will like metal.
Jazz, it will like jazz. Etc.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
I think they do. My dog barks when I listen to Dream Theater.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Quote by skylerjames13
Most likely. They can enjoy it I am pretty sure. Though of course all dogs have preferences, like humans. If a dog grows up hearing Metal, it will like metal.
Jazz, it will like jazz. Etc.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

Also are there any other known animals besides humans that make music?
Animals probably have no sense of what music is to them its probably just a sequence of sounds.
interesting fact: on sgt peppers lonely hearts club band,the last note fades out on a day in the life for so long that only dogs can hear it.
Give a man a fish and he'll be hungry tomorrow,but put his ass in fishnets and someone will buy him dinner-Gene Simmons
Last edited by the wako kid at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing

Anteaters.
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing

If he is, I can still see the sense in it. If an animal grows up hearing only one music, it will eventually like it. It will learn to. Also, birds make music. And screaming cats make albums. Ever heard of Barbara Streisand?

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing

...birds
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
I have dogs, they do that sometimes but they're used to it. They like acoustic better than electric, but in your case, they must have never seen it and are just wondering what you're doing.
If seals can dance with better rhythm than most white people, I think a dog can appreciate music to an extent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYNRYI7aW3k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALSx8wUMXc
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by wyldething
...birds

I always thought they weren't literally singing. I thought they meant like a bird "sings" not literally sings.
No my post was 100% serious.

Now that sounded sarcastic. God damnit.
I'm serious.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
I'm sure that most animals would have some sort of reaction to music, but not in the same way humans would. It's basically just sound, right? Loud noises might scare them, but gentle soothing sounds might calm them. They might respond to it, but not like a human would. I don't really know, I'm sure there's some scientific explanation behind it
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing
I always thought they weren't literally singing. I thought they meant like a bird "sings" not literally sings.

What the hell are you talking about, man?
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
my mum used to play some MIKA songs when we first got my dog (she was a puppy)

now, whenever those songs play she gets real excited and somewhat confused and spazzes out a bit like a preteen on cola.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Whenever I play Love? by SYL my dog howls at the harmoneys in the chorus, he does it every time and dosent do it for any other song.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
Quote by two_headed boy
this is dumb

I concur.

I'd much rather have sex with animals than listen to music with them.
last.fm[/url}
my cat normally runs away from everything, but if I'm playing guitar at all she'll come and sit on my bed and be all chilled out.
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing

I've read about birds that actually do have a sense of music though, but obviously not as we know it. It's to do with their mating calls.

And no, dogs don't.
You bloody fool.

Levitin would shoot himself if he saw this thread.
I would say that they hear the rhythms and sounds, but can't connect an emotion with it.

In other words, they hear the music, but it doesn't mean anything.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
My goat likes it when I play banjo.

No, I am not trailer trash. I live in the suburbs.
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing

Yeah, that makes sense
My dog likes to sit on my lap behind the guitar when I play, but I think he just likes the vibrations.
B|-----------------MEEDLY
G|-----------------------------MOODLY
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------WEE
A|DUN-DUN-----------------------------------------DEEWOP
E|DUN-DUN-------------------------------DOON
When I play guitar my dog and cat come in and lay down in my room, even if I'm playing metal. I think they like the vibrations man.
My cat curls up in my mandolin case while I play it.

Pretty fucking adorable.
A friend's dog howls every time someone plays the piano...my dog is deathly afraid of my guitar and runs away whenever I pull it out, so I don't know how to take that.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
All the dogs I've owned have liked being in the same room as whoever is playing music. Everyone in my family is a musician, which might have something to do with it. My oldest dog, Ted, likes to lie underneath the grand piano when my mum is teaching piano. Seems like it'd be too loud under there, but he likes it
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Dogs hearing range is like 40-60,000Hz.
I would go buck daft if I heard something that was three times as harmonically rich as I could even comprehend.

Of course for a dog to actually appreciate music of tis calibre it would have to be sampled at like 125,000 bits a second, otherwise there would be some mad sidebands in there that humans can't hear.

And of course the whole... dogs not being able to appreciate music thing.
One of our really good friends dog would sit in the back of his car and howl along to La Grange right on pitch every time they played it. So yeah, they probably do have a sense of music. Dogs are cool cats
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W