I realized this a few days ago in Math.
It's just me, and two friends. (Small school) And I was working hard to be the first done.
I saw that friend A was close to being done, so I sped up to try and pass him, which I did.

I was trying to beat him. But why? It's only math, who cares if he finishes first right? It was mostly sub consciously I think, but then I realized what I was doing.

Do people always try and be better than others?
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Obviously. It happens in just about every species.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Being better than the rest = having the biggest dick around = regarded as something good if you ask me.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
it's part of how people influence each other - it's called social facilitation. to be blunt, when you are around others, various aspects such as the presence of others, the worry of being evaluated, or the distraction caused by others presence causes us to either succeed at a task or fail at it. it's been found that the presence of others often causes us to try and do better.

thats a very dumbed down wa of putting it, and there are obviously other ways of looking at it an other explanations, but look it up. it's an interesting read.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I always want to be better at everybody else at everything I just dont make it obvious and imoo its not that bad of a thingg
It's the automatic response for me. It's not something I like, and I try to supress it most of the time.

I tend to enjoy life more when I'm in a cooperative mood rather than a compeditive mood.

When I start secretly "competing" with my girlfriend on things then I know that I've gone too far. That's my canary in the mine, anyways.
Last edited by Luncbox1 at Mar 16, 2011,
Humans are selfish by nature. We should have stopped being competitive once we found a way to mass-produce food.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
If there is anything to make Maths fun, do it.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
If there is anything to make Maths fun, do it.

Right now we are rotating/flipping shapes and colouring them.

Grade 10 math ftw.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
I've found from expirience that it's basic human nature to be competitive. That's why every guy pulls the "I'll kick your ass" "Ha! yeah right I'll **** you up"
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing
I've found from expirience that it's basic human nature to be competitive. That's why every guy pulls the "I'll kick your ass" "Ha! yeah right I'll **** you up"

I think that's just anger, and trying to be tough.
Though I suppose it could tie in with my topic.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing

This. But I think that society is responsible about this you know, we are always trying to have the best car, the best job, the best girlfriend, the biggest dick.
Quote by barden1069
Humans are selfish by nature. We should have stopped being competitive once we found a way to mass-produce food.

Na we won't.
How often do you go hungry? We'll stop being selfish when we evolve out of it. It's a leftover trait from when not being selfish meant starvation. With B&Ms, Poundlands and LIDLs it's not possible to go without food in a first world country.

Or the Christian alternative - God made us that way.
Quote by Casketcreep
Na we won't.
How often do you go hungry? We'll stop being selfish when we evolve out of it. It's a leftover trait from when not being selfish meant starvation. With B&Ms, Poundlands and LIDLs it's not possible to go without food in a first world country.

Or the Christian alternative - God made us that way.

And yet he makes it a sin. Wtf god.
I don't believe in god anyways.

I believe in Science. That shit is crazy interesting.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
shit is natural.
but can be defied by conscious efforts.

the pressures that are put on an individual by the societal mass are no doubt a contributing factor to that particular individual's failures and successes which is why usually the individual who can most easily transcend these pressures by means of simply not giving a **** usually excel in life.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
It's an evolutionary trait that's actually not surprising at all. People are competitive, because, simply put, in the end they want to be the best candidate for getting laid, subconsciously or not.

You'll find that competition tends to be strongest among those of their own gender.
Quote by SlayingDragons
It's an evolutionary trait that's actually not surprising at all. People are competitive, because, simply put, in the end they want to be the best candidate for getting laid, subconsciously or not.

You'll find that competition tends to be strongest among those of their own gender.

Thanks for condensing my two posts into one.
Quote by Casketcreep
Thanks for condensing my two posts into one.

Oh, sorry yo, I didn't even read through the thread, I just kinda posted.