Hey guys, I'm actually wondering... about preamps/boosts.

Is it better to have a preamp in the guitar or in a pedal?

If it's in a pedal, does a boost pedal or eq pedal do the same thing to give that boost effect?

Trying not to have a too complicated setup, so I'm asking to prevent having more than one pedal that essentially does the same thing.

Thanks !
Quote from TGM "We're all musicians, we should protect our ears like we protect our dicks."
well i mean if you take the exact same circuit and put it either in the guitar or the pedal, i'm guessing it doesn't matter. I guess you could argue that it's better in the guitar because it's buffering the signal before it hits that 10 or 20 foot lead.

But yeah I mean normally it's not going to be the exact same circuit in the guitar or on the ground. Personally I'd go for a pedal because you have a lot more options and can pick and choose the exact one you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I guess that's true for the pedal thing, I can find a bunch of preamps in a pedal... but I can only find a few that are able to be put into the guitar.

Would an EQ pedal like a GE-7 with the levels boosted or a boost pedal give the same results as a preamp though?
Quote from TGM "We're all musicians, we should protect our ears like we protect our dicks."
not sure... as far as i'm aware you can set an eq to function as a boost (as you said), but i'm not entirely sure what the difference is between a preamp and a boost... maybe a preamp can be plugged straight into a power amp? Not sure, so don't quote me, lol.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Active pickups have a built in pre amp.
EDIT: Technically a pre amp is something that boosts a signal to line level before it goes to a poweramp. So technically EMG's do not have pre amps
For all practical purposes, anything with increases signal strength ALONE is a boost. Anything which modifies tone well, is a pre amp.

My DigiTech RP500 acts as a pre amp when hooked to a poweramp. But it cannot function as a pure booster as it modifies the tone.
A pure clean boost will just bump volume before it hits the amps pre amp section or a pedal.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Mar 17, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Active pickups have a built in pre amp.
EDIT: Technically a pre amp is something that boosts a signal to line level before it goes to a poweramp. So technically EMG's do not have pre amps
For all practical purposes, anything with increases signal strength ALONE is a boost. Anything which modifies tone well, is a pre amp.

My DigiTech RP500 acts as a pre amp when hooked to a poweramp. But it cannot function as a pure booster as it modifies the tone.
A pure clean boost will just bump volume before it hits the amps pre amp section or a pedal.

yeah i get confused because preamp is used to define booster for some reason. when i think preamp, personally, i think of an axefx or a marshall JMP-1
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
yeah i get confused because preamp is used to define booster for some reason. when i think preamp, personally, i think of an axefx or a marshall JMP-1

Depends on the context.
An LPB-1 is a clean booster.
A Digitech RP500 into an Engl E840 is a pre amp.
A JMP-1 into above Engl is a preamp.
A TS9 directly into a poweramp is a pre amp (though not a very good one)
You can use a pedal either as a pre amp or a booster.
However, as a pre amp it MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT sound good. Also, you will lose a LOT of volume. And its pretty much impossible to get a normal amp to go into powertube break up with a single pedal. Nowhere near enough output.
EDIT: If you want to you can even drive a solitary speaker with an active pickup and a line booster
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Mar 17, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Depends on the context.
An LPB-1 is a clean booster.
A Digitech RP500 into an Engl E840 is a pre amp.
A JMP-1 into above Engl is a preamp.
A TS9 directly into a poweramp is a pre amp (though not a very good one)
You can use a pedal either as a pre amp or a booster.
However, as a pre amp it MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT sound good. Also, you will lose a LOT of volume. And its pretty much impossible to get a normal amp to go into powertube break up with a single pedal. Nowhere near enough output.
EDIT: If you want to you can even drive a solitary speaker with an active pickup and a line booster

Oh ;D! Thanks for the clarification! I was thinking of getting one of those EMG built in guitar preamp thingys.... but I guess I'll settle for an EQ and see if I need anything afterwards.

My pedal board is growing slowly...
Get the Seymour Duncan preamp thing, you can add it to your existing pickups. Its better than a volume booster- since the singal is boosted before hitting the cable, ist going to be less noisy. EMG's are quiet for a reason.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Get the Seymour Duncan preamp thing, you can add it to your existing pickups. Its better than a volume booster- since the singal is boosted before hitting the cable, ist going to be less noisy. EMG's are quiet for a reason.

Oh, I'll look into it thanks for the suggestion!