I've never needed to change strings on my jaguar until now, ive always used a stratocaster before. I have no clue how to do this correctly, the tuning pegs have a hole on top of them, and not on the sides like usual. I figure you put the end of the string down the hole and somehow hold it down while turning the tuning peg, but i just can't manage to do it, and ive already broken one string. Anyone?!
Vintage style tuning pegs. You need to pre-cut the strings before you put them on. This video explains it very well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDQMzQOZ1SM it;s how I figured out how to re-string my Tele.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
They are Kluson style tuners so just like a bass you've have to cut the strings to length.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Okay i managed to put them on, but i didn't pre-cut them... does it really matter? And my guitar sounds really weird, it might be cuz i am using ernie ball super slinkys? (used thicker before) or is it because i didn't cut them?
Quote by SupaScoopar
Okay i managed to put them on, but i didn't pre-cut them... does it really matter? And my guitar sounds really weird, it might be cuz i am using ernie ball super slinkys? (used thicker before) or is it because i didn't cut them?

I've never been able to put a set of strings on my Tele without pre-cutting them first. That may be why is sounds weird. Superslinkys shouldn't make it sound weird as the Jaguar comes standard with 9's.
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

Quote by offthewall91
I've never been able to put a set of strings on my Tele without pre-cutting them first. That may be why is sounds weird. Superslinkys shouldn't make it sound weird as the Jaguar comes standard with 9's.

Well somehow i did x)
I guess i gotta take them off again and cut them. I have to measure the lenght by 2 tuning pegs right?
Last edited by SupaScoopar at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by SupaScoopar
Well somehow i did xD

How many times did you have to wind the string to get it the right length? xD When I first changed the strings on my Tele (before I knew I was suppose to pre-cut them) Every time I would get close to one wind the string would pop back out.

How you managed to string the whole guitar like that is beyond me.

EDIT: If you could straighten the strings out from where they have been wound around the peg yes. But it would probably be easier if you just bought a new set to re-string it with.
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

Last edited by offthewall91 at Mar 16, 2011,
Dono how many times i had to wind them, but with the thickest strings it's like one layer around the tuning pegs and more over that again, didnt really thinkg about it until now :s
low on cash, so i'm gonna try to straighteen the strings, any ideas?
A few of my guitars have Kluson style pegs...when you precut them, you get the best number of windings for the tuning pegs...All of that plays a role in the guitar's sound with that style tuning peg. It will look way better when you precut them too. Measure the first few to two pegs up...when you do the B and the small E, line the B up at the top of the headstock and the E at just an inch over the top. As far as making the strings straighter...just pull them pretty hard before you cut them...it should get you close enough to make it work. When you tune it, the strings should straighten up just fine.
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
Last edited by Andian03 at Mar 16, 2011,
Which tailpiece do you have...a hardtail or the tremolo?
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
Quote by SupaScoopar

Weird like brighter? New strings sound like that...

Dont use 9s on a jag. Use 10s at least. Short scale + 9s = floppy strings.
I managed to get them off and cut them, and put them on again, works perfectly now ^^
Quote by SupaScoopar
I managed to get them off and cut them, and put them on again, works perfectly now ^^

Just remember, always pre-cut the strings when it comes to vintage style tuning pegs.
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291