asking this because i'm looking for a new,solid, guitar without spending too much. The guitar i own now is probably worth $100($95 maybe)and it's very bad. But according to reviews of cheap guitars, the ratings were only a 7.0--8.5 range mostly, some going into 9, but those are people who have the "lucky" guitars. So i want to know should i buy a expensive guitar to save myself trouble or buy a cheap guitar and hopes it plays well?
Well they give it a high rating like that because for the price, its the best on the market. You really can't buy a better guitar for $100 probably.

For a second electric on a budget - I'd say buy a used guitar in the $250-300 price range (so new it was $350-500). I just sold my old guitars in that price range, one of which was a really awesome Schecter. I still have guilty thought about getting rid of that guitar.
I got a cheapo strat knockoff from a mate, it sounded pretty crappy, but the neck was nice. So i resorted to replacing hte pickups, and now its one of my best guitars in sound. I put some "might mite" hotrails in, it was like $60 for a set of three, well worth it
Buy somethin' YOU enjoy playing. **** the price tag.

Though if the body is made of Alder that's always good lol
Im going to agree with CSMusic on this one. I wanted a strat type guitar real bad to fill a hole in my collection. I had 800.00 to spend so I go shopping and played some really nice guitars through out the day. I wound up buying a 120.00 strat knock off because I loved the neck (12' rad) and the alder body had a very nice sunburst paint job. I bought a pre-wired pickguard for 50.00 and now I play it every day. Even after I get around to changing the awful bridge, stays intoned but has no sustain, and the tuners it will be a really nice axe.
Is buying a cheap guitar the right choice? Yes if you like it and it plays/sounds good, and you'd be open to the idea of modding.

Is buying a mid-range guitar the right choice? Yes if you like it and it plays/sounds good, you'd be open to the idea of possibly modding and you can afford it.

Is buying an expensive guitar the right choice? Yes if you like it and it plays/sounds good, and you can afford it. You might consider changes to match your preferences.
The amp is what really matters. I have a cheap guitar that I believe sounded like crap through another cheap practice amp, then I bought a more expensive guitar, still sounded like crap. However, I run those guitars through my Peavey 212 (Great IMO) and I love both guitars now. Though, my cheap guitar is worth more that 100$.
Last edited by Kortez3000 at Mar 16, 2011,
Do whatever the hell you want. I personally like Jack White's philosophy on this, though. You can get any guitar to sound the you want, you just need to work harder with some than others. But the more work you put in, the more you get out of it. Eddie Van Halen would still sound like Eddie Van Halen if he was playing some cheap-ass guitar he put together himself. And yes, I know, that's exactly my point.
I've been down the cheap guitar road, and I have to say no. It's just not worth it for all of the upkeep and hassle involved, and on top of that they usually play like shit. Save up, and get a guitar worth $500 or more. That's about $300 used.

Quote by CSMusic

No it's not.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by GimmeRock
asking this because i'm looking for a new,solid, guitar without spending too much. The guitar i own now is probably worth $100($95 maybe)and it's very bad. But according to reviews of cheap guitars, the ratings were only a 7.0--8.5 range mostly, some going into 9, but those are people who have the "lucky" guitars. So i want to know should i buy a expensive guitar to save myself trouble or buy a cheap guitar and hopes it plays well?

There's nothing wrong with a cheap guitar. By now you should be able to play a bit so just try some out. If they feel good and sound good to you, go for it. If you play a guitar on a shelf that you like and it's in good condition, TAKE THAT GUITAR. Getting one that's still boxed or other than the one you played likely means disappointment for you. If you get the one that you played and liked, you'll be happy. If there's minor damage that doesn't bother you too much just ask for a discount
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
don't trust online review ratings
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
don't trust online review ratings

This.

You don't need any qualification to write a guitar review online.
Proof: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Revenge-Warlock-Electric-Guitar?sku=512679

TS, with a cheaper guitar, the thing that matters most is if it works. If it does, the next most important thing is if it feels good, man. If it feels like it was made for your hand (my Viper felt that way) go for it. You should mod cheap guitars as long as the body and neck are decent, can mod mid-range guitars (things like pickup changes, tuners, finishes), and shouldn't be modding a high-end guitar except for pickups.
yeah, pretty much.

or maybe if you want to put in NOS capacitors or something for the tone knobs, or want to put in a treble bleed cap or something. or fit locking tuners, say.

But yeah, a high-end guitar should basically be perfect as-is apart from the electronics (which should still be good-quality, but just may not suit your tastes).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CSMusic
Buy somethin' YOU enjoy playing. **** the price tag.

That isn't very practical advice TS is asking where's the line between decent tone / playability and waste of money

Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Well they give it a high rating like that because for the price, its the best on the market. You really can't buy a better guitar for $100 probably.

For a second electric on a budget - I'd say buy a used guitar in the $250-300 price range (so new it was $350-500). I just sold my old guitars in that price range, one of which was a really awesome Schecter. I still have guilty thought about getting rid of that guitar.

That's actually really good advice.

I found an Ibanze rg370 / Jackson JS32R thread maybe it will help.

[url="https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26708432#post26708432[/"]Ibanez RD37 vs Jackson JS 32R
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Mar 17, 2011,
ok but the only problem i have now is going to guitar center. their guitars have been touched and abused by tons of players alike. since guitar center pretty much has a good selection but finding a good guitar in working condition is going to be difficult. as i mentioned, tons of players(young and old)have touched and sometimes abuse a guitar. from that point on, if you do buy the guitar, it may be low quality.
I wouldn't go there to see if you like the setup. I'd go to see if you like the neck and general feel of the guitar. Whenever I'm testing out a guitar at a store, I first play acoustically. I like to see if I like the guitar first, and then if I like the pickups and amp it's playing through.

At many of the guitar stores I've been to, there are many guitars that aren't properly tuned. And if the offending guitar has a tremolo.... So I've learned to play acoustically and almost silently to see if I like the feel.
A chain guitar store like Guitar Center is likely to have many out of tune guitars and many guitars that just aren't set up at all. The neck is the most important part of a guitar to like. Just see if you like it.
There are cheap guitars..... and there are inexpensive guitars.
World of difference....
There is arange of guitars branded Fame... which are hand build in Poland... made for the Music Store in Cologne, Germany.
Nice instruments at a decent price.
Not sure if they are an option...but.....if they exist then there must be others that are worth owning...
Quote by GimmeRock

The best beginner guitar is the Yamaha Pacifica.
Around 200 or 250 bucks.

Google it for reviews... you will se that it's THE beginners guitar.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by NHECOS
The best beginner guitar is the Yamaha Pacifica.
Around 200 or 250 bucks.

Google it for reviews... you will se that it's THE beginners guitar.

I've played quite a few. They're quite good for the price. Still not THE beginner's guitar. There's no such thing.