Hey so yea pretty straight forward Ts7 or Ts9?

I heard that when your just using it as a boost it doesn't really make a difference, and that is my primary use and maybe just to get a very light breakup type sound. Other than the boost what/how does the Ts9 excel at where that Ts7 doesn't?

Used or New: Used definitely.
Genre: Mainly for my own metal needs, but i do play a lot of different genres. Mainly trying to get a really tight and nice sounds gain. Bands like Parkway drive, Periphery, Unearth, Trivium etc. But i also play stuff like Jimi hendrix, RHCP, Rage against the machine, Radiohead etc.
City: austin
budget: 50$ (I'm pretty broke at the moment). P.S i'm looking at a Ts7 for 30$ right now.

Amp: Peavey 3120
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Mar 17, 2011,
bump? I'm planning on getting the Ts7 tomorrow so help is appreciated. Please.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
I know this isn't really helping, cause I've only had first hand experience with the TS9, but you can google or youtube it. Sorry for no first hand experience.
music = happiness

THAT IS IRRELEVANT TO THE CONVERSATION... unless you want to make it relevant
They're exactly the same when the TS7 is in TS9 mode. Freq response is the same, distortion level is the same, output level is the same, etc. I've heard of noise issues with some TS7s but the one I owned and the ones I've used weren't any noisier than the TS9s I've played/the 808 RI I've owned and where considerably quieter than the vintage 808 I owned.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
okay thanks you soo much. I'm gonna be getting the TS7 for 35 dollars tomorrow. Not to bad of a deal i guess.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by mmolteratx
They're exactly the same when the TS7 is in TS9 mode. Freq response is the same, distortion level is the same, output level is the same, etc. I've heard of noise issues with some TS7s but the one I owned and the ones I've used weren't any noisier than the TS9s I've played/the 808 RI I've owned and where considerably quieter than the vintage 808 I owned.

by the way what is the hot mode like?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Not a lot of difference, will be near impossible to notice if you're just using it as a boost. It's my understanding that there's only a few components different between a TS7 and a TS808.
okay thank you very much.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
one last question

Should i get a TS7 for 35$ or a TS9 45$? I mean if they are the same thing i will just get Ts7 but considering everything? Resale value/looks/built quality etc.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
TS9 is built a bit better. For $45 I'd take it over the TS7.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
TS9 is built a bit better. For $45 I'd take it over the TS7.

Alright thanks.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
i had the TS7 and i found it a little white noisy-ish not as clean of a signal as i hoped. you cant honestly all think they integrity of the internal parts are same grade as a TS9, there not, circuit may be same. but there close enough for entry level. i will recommend a bad monkey to you. the extra tone controls are the best thing i ever added to my gear setup, i can have way more parameters to adjust then a regular Ts7 with just one tone control either left or right.
Quote by surface54
i had the TS7 and i found it a little white noisy-ish not as clean of a signal as i hoped. you cant honestly all think they integrity of the internal parts are same grade as a TS9, there not, circuit may be same. but there close enough for entry level. i will recommend a bad monkey to you. the extra tone controls are the best thing i ever added to my gear setup, i can have way more parameters to adjust then a regular Ts7 with just one tone control either left or right.

Are the parameter that helpful. I've never tried a Od before so idk. I mean is that distinctive in dialing in tone?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Carbon film resistors are carbon film resistors. There's really not much difference in thermal noise between various brands/production runs. The film caps used are fairly quiet too. The TS7 even uses the mojo JRC4558 IC that the TS9 doesn't.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Carbon film resistors are carbon film resistors. There's really not much difference in thermal noise between various brands/production runs. The film caps used are fairly quiet too. The TS7 even uses the mojo JRC4558 IC that the TS9 doesn't.

Since i'm going as cheap as i can get(as long as its within reason for quality) its down to the Ts7 or Bad monkey.

how do they compare?

P.s and the guy with the Ts9 bailed he wants to sell it for 60 now.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
^You can build a TS to whatever specs you want for 60, so for me that would be a no go.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Don't buy the TS9 for $60. Since you can score the TS7 for $35, just go for that.

Also, I think you should consider the Bad Monkey as well. I own that, it's great, plus it's cheap. What, $40 brand new? I also like how it has a low & a high adjustment knob. It makes for a little more precise tone-shaping.
I'd get a TS7 over a TS9 any day of the week. Sounds exactly the same, but twice as versatile.

I've never played the Bad Monkey, but I've listened to many clips of it A/B'd with a TS7, and it sounds really similar, but it has less gain.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
hey so i tried it out and it didnt really feel any different. The volume just went up and nothing really changed in my tone other than a lot of feedback.

Maybe i'm looking for a Eq.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit