The thing is beautiful and from what I've heard, sounds amazing. I want it soooo bad. But, I want to buy and was wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper price/place where I can get it (with the pickup) for under $799? Maybe coupons or something for Musician's Friend, American Musical Supply, or Zzounds? Or a store near the central coast of California? If you can help me at all that'd be great. Thanks.

-Joe

And if you haven't heard it yet... here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZBq5_aBGbU
Probably your friends at sam ash.

/cheapplug
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Alex Hutchings and a couple other geniuses (craig and luke from the end of that video) from Roland came to my college and gave a masterclass (advert) showing their technial wizardry on both their effects and their instruments. It was awesome.

I dont know anything really about that product, but it looks like you'd need to be a genius/spend a lot of time with the manual to really get the most out of it.

You seem to know a bit about this item;
Jus wondering - See other than doing all the cool tone altering trumpet/piano etc sounds with the use of the pickup, does this machine also have all of the same functions as a Boss ME70 (which I understand is really different and about a quarter of the price of that guitarsynth)? I imagine it does (and a lot more) but just wondering, because I have an ME70 and If I were to replace it with one of these id like it also to have the same functions. Do you need to use it in conjunction with the synth pickup (other than for certain effects obviously)?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by Hydra150
Alex Hutchings and a couple other geniuses (craig and luke from the end of that video) from Roland came to my college and gave a masterclass (advert) showing their technial wizardry on both their effects and their instruments. It was awesome.

I dont know anything really about that product, but it looks like you'd need to be a genius/spend a lot of time with the manual to really get the most out of it.

You seem to know a bit about this item;
Jus wondering - See other than doing all the cool tone altering trumpet/piano etc sounds with the use of the pickup, does this machine also have all of the same functions as a Boss ME70 (which I understand is really different and about a quarter of the price of that guitarsynth)? I imagine it does (and a lot more) but just wondering, because I have an ME70 and If I were to replace it with one of these id like it also to have the same functions. Do you need to use it in conjunction with the synth pickup (other than for certain effects obviously)?

It has many of the functions that the ME 70 does. I don't know exactly how in depth the effects can be customized to your likings but I do know there are a lot on here and you can at least control the levels on them.

As for overdrive/distortion, you have plenty of options. The GR 55 let's you customize everything in that category. You can customize specs on the unit up to the guitar you use, pickups on the guitar, pickup selection, and amp models. Here's a guy who goes through a lot of the basics in the GR 55 and he has tons of in depth videos showing how you can customize your sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqR2qWUSVyU
If this thing is legit do we have a potential axe fx killer on our hands...
Guitars
Amps
Looks cool, if you get it post a review.
A bit pricey for me though.
would you need a cabinet and poweramp to run this?
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Guitar wankery at its finest. looks pretty sweet though
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Matt15f

Eh, I don't know. It's like they just took a couple of their regular multi effects pedals and combined it with a GR-20. In any case, if you ask me the main reason anyone would buy this (or the GR-20) is to get the synth sounds with a midi pickup. Personally, I wouldn't say this and the AxeFX are in competition.
Quote by ChrisBW
Eh, I don't know. It's like they just took a couple of their regular multi effects pedals and combined it with a GR-20. In any case, if you ask me the main reason anyone would buy this (or the GR-20) is to get the synth sounds with a midi pickup. Personally, I wouldn't say this and the AxeFX are in competition.

Yea, I mean the concept is great, it models the guitar type, the pickups, and the amp. But maybe the quality isn't there, I just thought it was a great idea.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by constructbot

I'm almost positive you don't. The guy in the video (In the 2nd comment) is just running it through a small Fender combo as far as I can tell.
I liked how they cut to the bass for a 5 second demo of farting noises haha
Mah Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Yamaha F-310
Kustom Arrow 16DFX
Quote by RDX1138
I liked how they cut to the bass for a 5 second demo of farting noises haha

You didn't watch the entire videos then
WARNING: Really long geeky post regarding the GR-55. I will be writing a full review and posting sound clips when I get some time, so I thought I would start getting my thoughts together here.

Quote by lightningjoe88
The thing is beautiful and from what I've heard, sounds amazing. I want it soooo bad. But, I want to buy and was wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper price/place where I can get it (with the pickup) for under $799? Maybe coupons or something for Musician's Friend, American Musical Supply, or Zzounds? Or a store near the central coast of California? If you can help me at all that'd be great. Thanks.

Picked one of these up last week (well, ordered it at the end of January the first day it was available to pre-order in Canada).

It was $699 CAD for the version without the pick-up and cable, I own a synth access Godin so there was no reason to pay the extra $100. Can't help you where to buy in the United States. I will tell you that more than other manufacturers, Roland controls their retail prices so generally there is very little difference between outlets.

Quote by Hydra150

It does require a lot of time (which is currently in short supply for me right now) to learn this product. The GR-20 was pretty much plug and play, this one I had to follow the step by step instructions to match it with my SA guitar. You even have to match your pick up manufacturer with the unit as well as set each string level individually. With the GR-20 you only had to set individual levels if there was a problem.

Also the patch list (synth sounds) are set up in banks marked "LEAD", "RYTHM", "OTHER" and "USER". Then they are numbered rather arbitrarily something like 15-2 in an order that makes no sense. The GR-20 had the banks in sound groups (like "Piano" and one number to identify the patch, which seemed easier. The patch list lives on my music stand for this thing.

Trying to get more than a stock sound from the GR-55 requires some reading of the 88 page manual. You can try and do the guy thing of just playing around with it, but you really would miss most of the features.

Quote by Hydra150

Not super familiar with the ME70 except for Roland propaganda but understand it is basically a guitar effects generator taking the place of most of a pedal board. The GR-55 has 42 different amp simulations (and 16 speaker set ups) and a bunch of effect settings including OD/DS (25 different types), WAH (6 types), COMPressor, LIMITER, OCTAVE, PHASER, FLANGER, TREMOLO, ROTARY, UNI-V, PAN, DELAY, CHORUS and EQ (4 band, stereo).

These effects can be applied using either the synth pickups or onto a "dry" guitar signal from the regular pick ups. Signal path is selectable.

Quote by constructbot

There are two output signal paths.
The main output (Stereo) can be 2 PCM (synth tones), Modeling Tone Guitar and/or Normal Guitar Pick up. Basically you can set up four distinct tones/sounds though this. I route this through a small Mackie mixer into an old Dynaco Stereo 400 solid state power amp from the 1970s into a pair of Traynor YT-12 (2x12) cabs with coaxial speakers (not the original Norelco spinners).

The other is "GUITAR OUT" which connects to your regular guitar amp and can be "dry" or have the "modelling" and "effects" on it. This is from your regular guitar pick ups (also the dry "acoustic" piezo pick up sound if you have a Synth Access guitar like my Godin xtSA). I run this line through an MG100DFX so if something goes horribly wrong on the signal paths during testing and blows the guitar amp, I wouldn't care. For performance it becomes a '65 Twin Reverb RI.

You can also output MIDI signal to another synth or software synth generator. Unlike the GR-20, the MIDI in does NOT allow you to use a MIDI keyboard to drive the GR-55.

Quote by lightningjoe88
I'm almost positive you don't. The guy in the video (In the 2nd comment) is just running it through a small Fender combo as far as I can tell

You can configure the GR-55 to run through a regular guitar amp through the synth Output, but you lose a lot of the bass dynamic and heaviness of the patches. It does sound thin in comparison to a rig that can handle the full range the unit produces. In a pinch, I run it into a Roland CB-100 bass cube that sound passable.

Quote by ChrisBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt15f

You are correct, this is not specifically an "effects" type unit, multi or otherwise. Guitar synths are their own animal and have their own uses. They have a distinct sound and feel, but are more closely related to their keyboard driven cousins than an "effected" guitar.

My Observations So Far

Pros:

Ultimate control over the patch sounds,
Back up of user created/modified patches,
Lots or sounds/tones/effects on multiple signal paths,
Better display and controls than predecessors,
Computer connection for patch management and maintenance,
Built in looper,
Controllable backing track playback,
Metal construction not plastic like the GR-20,
Mute (selectable) when using the tuner,
Amp Modeling (COSM) and multi-effects, and
lot's of other toys.

Cons:

Overall complexity of the unit is sometimes overwhelming,
Expression pedal is metal and has sharp pinch points for fingers and toes,
Built in patch organization, and
Trying to justify the cost of what amounts to a big toy.
Last edited by Quintex at Mar 18, 2011,

Its that part that Im finding most troubling - I just had to put it out of my mind and remind myself that GUITARS sound awesome with a far simpler rig.

If I won the lottery, however ....

Edit: Quintex, that Godin that you have looks interesting - do you happen to know if those, or a similar synth enabled axe, are availiable in lefthanded?
Last edited by Hydra150 at Mar 18, 2011,
Quote by Hydra150
Quote by Quintex

Its that part that Im finding most troubling - I just had to put it out of my mind and remind myself that GUITARS sound awesome with a far simpler rig.

If I won the lottery, however ....

Edit: Quintex, that Godin that you have looks interesting - do you happen to know if those, or a similar synth enabled axe, are availiable in lefthanded?

I actually use the synth quite extensively for background and ambient sounds/music for video productions I work on so it does get used to generate revenue. I am more comfortable noodling around on a guitar to get sounds/music than I am on a keyboard.

As for the Godin xtSA left hand version, my regular supplier of all things music could not give a definitive answer on its existence. You might want to send an e-mail to info@godinguitars.com and ask them directly. I will warn you that getting a response from them is kinda of hit and miss since they do not sell directly.

Just as a side note, even when I am playing without my synths the Godin has become my guitar of choice to play even just clean through the Twin Reverb. It is a "real" guitar that has a synth option.