Page 2 of 8
yo, what's that band that kinda sounds like leftover crack vox? it's like crazy horse, or something with horse in it
Hello. I need recommendations (a couple singles, maybe an album) for these bands:
Agnostic Front
Bouncing Souls
The Lawrence Arms
Prophagandhi
Naked Raygun
Circle Jerks
Suicidal Tenancies
Dead Kennedys
Misfits
Suicide Machines

Thanks!
Quote by whoisthisagain
Hello. I need recommendations (a couple singles, maybe an album) for these bands:
Agnostic Front
Bouncing Souls
The Lawrence Arms
Prophagandhi
Naked Raygun
Circle Jerks
Suicidal Tenancies
Dead Kennedys
Misfits
Suicide Machines

Thanks!

*Agnostic Front - "United Blood" (EP).
This is really the only thing by them I enjoy, they were never one of my favorites.

*Naked Raygun - "Throb Throb" (full length)

*Circle Jerks - Group Sex (full length... well actually it is only about 15 minutes long, so almost EPish)

*Suicidal Tendencies - self titled or "How Can I Laugh...." (both full lengths)

*Dead Kennedys -" In God We Trust, Inc." (EP) or "Plastic Surgery Disasters"
Yeah, most people will go with "Fresh Fruit..." here. While that one is great, I just have more of a taste for "Plastic..." Both these releases are combined now, so just search the latter and you can get both together.

*Misfits - "Static Age" (full length) or just get lazy and download "Collection 1" and "Collection 2".

The others I do not know enough about to say. Not into them for the most part.
Quote by whoisthisagain
Agnostic Front
Bouncing Souls
The Lawrence Arms
Prophagandhi
Naked Raygun
Circle Jerks
Suicidal Tenancies
Dead Kennedys
Misfits
Suicide Machines

Thanks!

How I Spent My Summer Vacation by The Bouncing Souls. It was my first. Good album.

Discography by Propaghandi. Yeah I know, not helpful at all

Apathy and Exhaustion by The Lawrence Arms. Some might say Oh! Calcutta!, but I like this one more.

Group Sex by Circle Jerks. Definitely.

Also, Fresh Fruit is totally the best DKs album. Not Plastic Surgery
Yeah, I noted that most people would say that. It is for sure a great album and should be listened to. I just find myself going back to PSD more and more now. I suppose I should of added for the sake of newcomers to the band, Fresh Fruit would be the better starting point, or even Give Me....

I love both albums a lot actually. I just think PSD is skipped over by many people who never seem to get past the 2 albums I mentioned above. I just want to see it get listened to by more people.
Quote by whoisthisagain
Agnostic Front
Bouncing Souls
The Lawrence Arms
Prophagandhi
Naked Raygun
Circle Jerks
Suicidal Tenancies
Dead Kennedys
Misfits
Suicide Machines

Thanks!

The Blame - Agnostic Front
I Wanna Know - Agnostic front
Two Sided Politics - Suicidal Tendencies
Suicides an Alternative - Suicidal Tendencies
Too Drunk to F*** - Dead Kennedys
Hatebreeders - Misfits
Last Caress - Misfits
Agnostic Front- Live At CBGB's
Circle Jerks- VI
Suicidal- Lights Camera Revolution
Dead Kennedys- In God we Trust
Misfits- Walk among us

I also need Recomendations for myself

Bands that sound like THe Descendents, Flatliners and Dear Landlord

Also- Bands that sound like Social Distortion, Nothington and Off with their heads.

Thanks
Quote by Grawgos
Agnostic Front- Live At CBGB's
Circle Jerks- VI
Suicidal- Lights Camera Revolution
Dead Kennedys- In God we Trust
Misfits- Walk among us

I also need Recomendations for myself

Bands that sound like THe Descendents, Flatliners and Dear Landlord

Also- Bands that sound like Social Distortion, Nothington and Off with their heads.

Thanks

Rivethead, Banner Pilot, The Copyrights and House Boat all have members in common with Dear Landlord and OWTH. In fact, you can just look at the members of those bands and then find other bands that they were in.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Thanks for the recommendations.

I was looking around Itunes and I came across a band that seemed to be right in the middle of nothington and flatliners, so I grabbed that.
The band is The Riot Before, the album is Rebellion. It's pretty cool so far.
Quote by molly bee
wait. Plastic Surgery Disasters is better than Fresh Fruit.

dats da troof

This grrrl knows what's up.

Fresh Fruit is pretty good, but for me, Plastic Surgery Disasters is the album that sets Dead Kennedys apart from every other punk band. It's got some of the best guitar work this side of '77. It's been a while since I've thought about DK or their influence on me, but that album definitely shaped the way I play guitar. More so than any other album, save maybe Gang of Four's Entertainment! or The Smiths' self-titled. And that's something! It was the peak of their career, and everyone knows it, even if they won't admit it!
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at May 19, 2011,
I came across the first page of the old rec thread on wayback machine btw. In case someone would like to edit it in or something, I don't know, could help a bit.
Last edited by BlacksailsTippa at May 19, 2011,
Quote by neidnarb11890
This grrrl knows what's up.

Fresh Fruit is pretty good, but for me, Plastic Surgery Disasters is the album that sets Dead Kennedys apart from every other punk band. It's got some of the best guitar work this side of '77. It's been a while since I've thought about DK or their influence on me, but that album definitely shaped the way I play guitar. More so than any other album, save maybe Gang of Four's Entertainment! or The Smiths' self-titled. And that's something! It was the peak of their career, and everyone knows it, even if they won't admit it!

This whole post makes you seem like such a poser.
I'm an asshole.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
What the fuck. Hating on Plastic Surgery Disasters? I can totally see how one can like Fresh Fruit better, but PSD is at least close. If you think Fresh Fruit is that much better than their other albums, you're not a tru fan. Only poseurs just listen to the "classic" album.

I would still recommend Fresh Fruit as the first album for a newb, though, because it's, y'know, the band's first album.

Plastic Surgery Disasters sucked. It was annoying garbage. Most of that album sounds like the Animaniacs tried to make a punk record.

edit: also In God We Trust, Inc. > PSD
I'm an asshole.
Last edited by lookpizza at May 19, 2011,
Fresh Fruit always was and always will be their best album. I wouldn't say PSD sucks, but it isn't nearly as good. Fresh Fruit is one of my faves eva.
PSD is an underrated album. Better than "Frankenchrist" and "Bedtime for Democracy" and almost close to "Fresh Fruit....". Better than "In God We Trust, Inc."... that is a great breakneck style EP in the style of DC hardcore at the time... and "We've Got A Bigger Problem Now" is my favorite version of Uber Alles.... but on the whole, "Plastic..." beats it.

"Forest Fire", "Moon Over Marin", "Halloween" and "Riot" are some of DK's best songs. Those alone top IGWT..
My second favorite DK album is probably Bedtime for Democracy. It's got a real nihilistic feel to it, considering the band would soon implode.

I love the way it criticizes the punk scene at the time as well. They did it without it being tiresome. Probably the biggest problem with the album is sheer number of songs makes a lot of them seem like filler.

In fact, even though I like PSD a lot, I like Fresh Fruit, In God We Trust, and Bedtime better.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at May 19, 2011,
Give Me Convience.. is a great compilation as well. Worth owning just for "Pull My Strings", "Too Drunk to Fu*k" and "Police Truck".

Would love to see the video for "Pull My Strings", some of the impact is lost without the video to go with it, not much, but some.

"Pull My Strings" is one of the best attacks on mainstream pop culture.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
I only listened to Frankenchrist once, and I wasn't paying much attention. Bedtime indeed has too many songs. I found it grating (like all of the DKs' work) but not particularly enjoyable (like the best of the DKs' work).

Give Frankenchrist another listen. It's almost my favorite DK album.

Plastic Surgery Disasters tops the list.
I like Frankenchrist... it just sticks out like a sore thumb amongst their work to me though... which is not a band thing, i like that they can try something new and not repeat themselves... shows more signs of a group trying to evolve and throw listeners off with each album. Black Flag would do that as well.

Frankenchrist is probably my least favorite, but still a good listen from time to time.
Quote by CoreyGregory
I need some reccomendations.
Bands that sound like Fake Problems, Against Me, or Gaslight Anthem

The Riot Before

Edit.
Oh yeah, check out Apologies, I have none aswell.
Last edited by BlacksailsTippa at Jun 4, 2011,
Right, thought I might as well share stuff here - here's some bands I've seen locally recently who are worth mentioning!

The Murderburgers - the best Pop-punk I've heard out of Europe, and they have a live show to match it (well, surpass it)

http://www.myspace.com/themurderburgers

Pianosa
- Saw them recently, they put on an intense-as-**** live show. Hardcore in the vein of Minor Threat and F-Minus. They just released a free release, which you can check here:

http://leporkrecords.com/2011/06/06/

Black Volvo - Dutch Punk Rock, they were pretty good live. Their recordings aren't quite as good, but worth a listen.

http://www.myspace.com/blackvolvo

Iron Chic - American gruff melodic punk ala Latterman and Lawrence Arms - I couldn't catch them (they played a Glasgow show which I couldn't get to) but their free-to-download album was brilliant (which you can download for free on their 'bandcamp' page!

http://ironchic.bandcamp.com/album/not-like-this

Grand Hotel Paradox - a miiinor bit of self-promotion here; this is a band I started briefly, but left when I moved to Edinburgh. They released a 4-song release which is absolutely awesome, that I'm very very impressed with, so thought it was worth sharing!

http://grandhotelparadox.bandcamp.com/

Check it out! I was considering starting a new thread along the lines of "local bands you see and want to share" but I thought the Punk Recommendations thread will do, what do you think?
Quote by Adarsh

Iron Chic - American gruff melodic punk ala Latterman and Lawrence Arms - I couldn't catch them (they played a Glasgow show which I couldn't get to) but their free-to-download album was brilliant (which you can download for free on their 'bandcamp' page!

http://ironchic.bandcamp.com/album/not-like-this

Oh man, it really sucks you couldn't see them, they were totally awesome when I saw them. Who were they playing with?
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Man, I just remembered that Orange existed. What a terrible band.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Depending on the song, yeah.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by BK202
Someone should recommend punk that I can put on a cassette and play in a boombox while playing basketball.

...Suicidal Tendencies?