Page 4 of 8
Ugh.

If you guys are gonna take it upon yourself to nobly introduce a kid to "better music," at least give him something he can actually latch onto. Admittedly I don't know where the happy medium between n00bc0re and skramz is, and I wouldn't know what to recommend to him that he wouldn't find on the Wikipedia page for "punk rock." But I don't think this fellow did anything to deserve antagonism. Lord knows I'm all for trollin' folks that act like dicks, but I think the kind of attitude exhibited on the last page is a big part of the reason this forum is stagnant.

Regarding the notion of Bad Religion doing something in an "artsy" way or whatever he said, I can't help observing that Bad Religion is definitely one of the less artful bands I can think of.
He said Takaru sucked and that NOFX and Bad Religion were among his favorite punk bands. He said that The Ramones and Misfits weren't poppy. ****ing Christ this guy is a moron and deserves no defense.
I'm an asshole.

Just sayin'. We see a lot worse on a regular basis. He didn't start a stupid thread. He didn't ignorantly hate on emo. He didn't call anybody a poser. Etc. IMO he didn't say anything to deserve disrespect until after he was disrespected, unless liking surface-level music makes him incurably stupid. And even after that, he wasn't all that bad, relatively speaking.

Whatever, though. It's not really a big deal. I just thought the initial reaction, namely due's trollin', was a little bit presumptuous.
Quote by lookpizza
He said Takaru sucked and that NOFX and Bad Religion were among his favorite punk bands. He said that The Ramones and Misfits weren't poppy. ****ing Christ this guy is a moron and deserves no defense.

Completely true.

I'd have probably just recommended him to Propagandhi and Latterman, though.
I only recommend people things they'll actually like if they're cool.

edit: and the only way to prove you're cool is to like the music I rec'd that I didn't think you should.. it's kinda a vicious cycle.
I'm an asshole.
Last edited by lookpizza at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
Ugh.

If you guys are gonna take it upon yourself to nobly introduce a kid to "better music," at least give him something he can actually latch onto. Admittedly I don't know where the happy medium between n00bc0re and skramz is, and I wouldn't know what to recommend to him that he wouldn't find on the Wikipedia page for "punk rock." But I don't think this fellow did anything to deserve antagonism. Lord knows I'm all for trollin' folks that act like dicks, but I think the kind of attitude exhibited on the last page is a big part of the reason this forum is stagnant.

Regarding the notion of Bad Religion doing something in an "artsy" way or whatever he said, I can't help observing that Bad Religion is definitely one of the less artful bands I can think of.

ya know, you're right. his favorite bands aren't all that different when i first got into punk. i remember being a butthurt NOFX and Sex Pistols fan talking shit to everyone on this board a while back about "troo punx" and all that bullshit. i just needed some time to grow up a little (still not a whole lot) and experience other music. it helps getting out and involved in a real scene too. that was probably my biggest problem at the time, i lived my "punk" lifestyle through a computer and wikipedia articles about punk. i even remember being 13 and completely ignoring someone's suggestions to listen to op ivy, choking victim & LOC cause i was too busy w/ my sex pistols horseshit. 3 years later, i started listening to em and regretting ignoring that person
I said cycle not circle, and it's definitely a process I repeat over and over again.
I'm an asshole.
Somewhat related, because this thread made me think of what bands got me into punk. If I remember right, someone told me Screeching Weasel came out of Chicago, and I listened to them and enjoyed it. Then I bought a Minor Threat album on a whim.

5 years later, here I am. I actually still enjoy some NOFX and Screeching Weasel.
Last edited by BK202 at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by lookpizza
But nobody goes from Bad Religion to Takaru.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lookpizza
I only recommend people things they'll actually like if they're cool.

edit: and the only way to prove you're cool is to like the music I rec'd that I didn't think you should.. it's kinda a vicious cycle.

Which is fine, but surely you didn't jump from the first punk band you heard, to the music you recommend now?

No one will jump from Bad Religion and NOFX to most of the bands you recommended. They won't. I guess it's not our responsibility to "nurture people's tastes", but we can at least recommend folk something they might like that we used to, or still, like.

I don't know, it's not exactly a right/wrong scenario anyway.
anyway i'll recommend my current top few of late for you punkrockboi, just try em all out, and listen to more than just one song, you wouldn't judge NOFX by "I Gotta Pee" would you?
Dead Milkmen
Night Birds
The Ergs!
For Science
Psyched To Die
Quote by jakesmellspoo
rancid sucks. seriously though, branch out. if you think NOFX is so great, try something new and you'll be surprised when you realize there are tons of way better bands out there who actually give a **** about the music they make

EDIT: also, can someone please tell me a good music/ media player (not iTunes) to replace Windows Media Player? i swear i'm ready to throw my computer against a wall. no matter how many ****ing times i correct the album info it keeps ****ing changing it back, even for the actual files. i ****ing hate windows.
Get Winamp. It is really good.
I dont even know what punk rock is anymore. All I know is I like the bands that I like.

@jakesmellslikepoo
Thanks for the straight recommendations. I'm really liking Dead Milkmen.

also, Due 7, those bands are sick too.
Guitars: Epiphone Slash AFD Les Paul, Schecter Omen-6, and Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Amp: Jet City JCA20H with JCA12s cab
Pedalboard: Crybaby Classic, Boss DS-1, Korg Multi FX, BBE Boosta Grande, Rocktron HUSH Pedal. ProCo Rat.
Last edited by Punkrokkboi at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by Adarsh
Which is fine, but surely you didn't jump from the first punk band you heard, to the music you recommend now?

No one will jump from Bad Religion and NOFX to most of the bands you recommended. They won't. I guess it's not our responsibility to "nurture people's tastes", but we can at least recommend folk something they might like that we used to, or still, like.

I don't know, it's not exactly a right/wrong scenario anyway.

Absolutely not, but I did approach music with an open mind and if someone would've showed me the music I listen to today, back then... I probably wouldn't of missed so many awesome shows.
I'm an asshole.
Quote by lookpizza
Absolutely not, but I did approach music with an open mind and if someone would've showed me the music I listen to today, back then... I probably wouldn't of missed so many awesome shows.

That's true, but I also feel if someone had shown me the music I listen to now, I wouldn't have had the maturity to appreciate it at the time.

Saw a couple of decent bands last night, I recommend The Living Daylights (from Lincoln) and Taking Chase (from the 'burgh). The former being a catchy-ish 4-piece punk band who could get slightly repetitive while still being interesting enough to listen, and the latter being a somewhat modern-day hardcore influenced 5-piece punk band who are just, erm, very good.
Quote by Adarsh
That's true, but I also feel if someone had shown me the music I listen to now, I wouldn't have had the maturity to appreciate it at the time.

I had my bad taste in music stage from like 8-12, I was listening to what I would now (at 23) consider decent music by the time I was 13 (isn't there an age limit on this site?). I've just been spending time since then finding more and more bands and genres to add to my figurative (and literal) collection. I don't understand your logic, I don't need past experience in a genre to appreciate a good band.
I'm an asshole.
Quote by lookpizza
I had my bad taste in music stage from like 8-12, I was listening to what I would now (at 23) consider decent music by the time I was 13 (isn't there an age limit on this site?). I've just been spending time since then finding more and more bands and genres to add to my figurative (and literal) collection. I don't understand your logic, I don't need past experience in a genre to appreciate a good band.

My logic is more that, currently (at 20), the music I listen to IS slightly different from that at 12-14 - I was still on Bad Religion and NOFX at 13, and only went deeper than when I was about 15.

I guess people just reach their definite opinion on what they like, at different times.
all it usually takes for me to get into a band is hearing one i already like do a cover of that band. it helps a lot. Lagwagons cover of Want, the Ergs cover of Blockhead. listening to bands that get along w/ each other and play together often helps too, but can work negatively too if you listen when a band you like talks shit about another band (learned to stop doing that)
I'm a phase listener, I've gone through so many stages and then I had a realization 2-3 years ago where I was going to stop caring about how technical, crazy, generic, or any other buzz word for over analytic music listeners and just listen to what my mood tell me to listen to.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
i hate it when people over analyze music. i tried to get my friend (who listens to pretty much only Yes and Rush, but likes the Dead Kennedys) to listen to this surf band Mirrors & Wires. he watched a shitty quality video on youtube and his first comment was "their drummer sucks"
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
I'm a phase listener, I've gone through so many stages and then I had a realization 2-3 years ago where I was going to stop caring about how technical, crazy, generic, or any other buzz word for over analytic music listeners and just listen to what my mood tell me to listen to.

Well yea everyone is like that, but what your listening to at the moment shouldn't wholly reflect what music you think is good.
I'm an asshole.
Last edited by lookpizza at Jul 16, 2011,
Quote by Adarsh

Saw a couple of decent bands last night, I recommend The Living Daylights (from Lincoln) and Taking Chase (from the 'burgh). The former being a catchy-ish 4-piece punk band who could get slightly repetitive while still being interesting enough to listen, and the latter being a somewhat modern-day hardcore influenced 5-piece punk band who are just, erm, very good.

I'm seeing The Living Daylights in a couple of weeks, should be good.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
So I'm new to the Punk genre and I'm looking for stuff to begin with. I'm downloading Fugazi's Reapeater album right now. What else should i look at getting?
Quote by WalidTheBoy
So I'm new to the Punk genre and I'm looking for stuff to begin with. I'm downloading Fugazi's Reapeater album right now. What else should i look at getting?
That's a great choice. Here are some others you will probably like if you enjoyed Fugazi.

Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy
Minor Threat - Complete Discography
Fuel - Monuments To Excess
My favorite hardcore bands would be Black Flag, the Circle Jerks, the Subhumans (UK), the Misfits, Gorilla Buiscuts, early NOFX, and some Rancid.

Favorite Ska would be Operation Ivy, Reel Big Fish, the Suicide Machines, and the Exposed.
Quote by lookpizza
Wasn't Frenzal Rhomb like the Nofx from Austrailia?

yeah, kinda. they're on fat wreck too.
Quote by due 07
That's a great choice. Here are some others you will probably like if you enjoyed Fugazi.

Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy
Minor Threat - Complete Discography
Fuel - Monuments To Excess

THANK YOU I was just about to ask about recommendations for Fugazi-ish music. I just got the Minor Threat Discography on vinyl a couple days ago.
Quote by lookpizza
Well yea everyone is like that, but what your listening to at the moment shouldn't wholly reflect what music you think is good.

agreed, but that self analyzation stage of recognition to what you believe is good music makes you A) appreciate the music you now listen to, even more and B) Recognize some of the crap you thought was awesome, was really just a recycled version/something that just isn't very good
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god