I was reading an old interview with Dave, the lead guitarist (former) of Sum 41 and he talked about his home studio.

Here are a few things he mentioned:

Line 6 POD X3 Live Guitar Multi-Effects Pedal
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-X3-Live-Guitar-MultiEffects-Pedal?sku=150377

Marshall JMP-1 Tube MIDI Guitar Preamp
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-JMP1-Tube-MIDI-Guitar-Preamp?sku=180410

Yamaha AW2816 16-track recorder
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/recorders/aw2816/?mode=model

Now i'm extremely ignorant when it comes to this subject, can someone explain how these items would connect and work with each other?

This interview is from around 2000 so is the Yamaha 16 track even needed/used anymore? or can things be recorded with just something like Garage band etc?
Or could the Yamaha possibly work with a program such a garage band?

I really have no idea what i'm talking about , so some guidance would be extremely appreciated.
Theres a lot of way he could do it, id guess he uses the marshall preamp first, puts the line 6 in the FX loop, then uses the emulated speaker outs straight into the 16 track.

No you dont need the 16 track. The POD can be hooked up to PC via USB, so you could use that for recording most likely. Or you could invest in a good audio interface with an instrument input.
So you could record directly onto a computer with just the POD and nothing else? What purpose would the Marshal Preamp serve then?

Again super ignorant here, what do you mean by an audio interface?
I believe so, im not familiar with line 6's hardware though. I do recall them having recording software with the PODs.

I'm guessing the marshall probably has better amp sims, and better cabinet emulation, and he uses the POD just for effects.

An audio interface is basically a USB/Firewire/Whatever sound card, they have built in preamps (better than the ones that are in your computer soundcard) for mic/instrument/line inputs. It allows you to set the gain of whatever you plug in, and convert analogue signal into digital so it can be read by the computer.

I use the original digidesign Mbox so i can use Pro Tools too. I usually use this to mic my amp or use the instrument input with guitar rig on my computer for my amp sims and cabinet emulation.

So if I understand this correctly, all of these should work, correct?

Guitar > Marshal Preamp> digidesign Mbox > Computer > Protools

Guitar > Marshal Preamp > Line 6 POD > Computer > Protools

Guitar > Mashal Preamp > digidesign Mbox > Line 6 POD > Computer > Protools

Guitar > Line 6 POD > Computer > Protools

Thanks for explaining all this btw
Last edited by L.A.P.D. at Mar 17, 2011,
They all would, but I don't see why you would do it the third way.
Last edited by Khann at Mar 17, 2011,
Well to use Pro Tools you need to use Digidesign/Avid hardware (Audio interface). Unless you get the newest version (PT 9). So you wont be able to use the pod straight into the computer with it.

There are other recording programes you can use where you dont need to use there hardware like Reaper, Sonar, Logic, Cubase, Ableton, the ways you described should work with these.

^You could use the inserts on the mbox to do it that way. Should make it a bit cleaner because it isnt going through the mic preamps.

THeres more audio interfaces than the mbox btw. I just use it because I like using Pro Tools and it has the features I need.Theres the Tascam US122, Presonus Audiobox, Focusrite Saffire, Mackie Onyx, Alesis Io2 are all good quality interfaces.
Last edited by beckyjc at Mar 17, 2011,
^ Good point. I was just assuming when using Pro Tools he meant "my DAW".
Quote by Khann
They all would, but I don't see why you would do it the third way.

with the 3rd way, wouldnt the line 6 give more effects to choose from?

Quote by beckyjc
Well to use Pro Tools you need to use Digidesign/Avid hardware (Audio interface). Unless you get the newest version (PT 9). So you wont be able to use the pod straight into the computer with it.

There are other recording programes you can use where you dont need to use there hardware like Reaper, Sonar, Logic, Cubase, Ableton, the ways you described should work with these.

^You could use the inserts on the mbox to do it that way. Should make it a bit cleaner because it isnt going through the mic preamps.

THeres more audio interfaces than the mbox btw. I just use it because I like using Pro Tools and it has the features I need.Theres the Tascam US122, Presonus Audiobox, Focusrite Saffire, Mackie Onyx, Alesis Io2 are all good quality interfaces.

So if I used Reaper, I could go Guitar > Line 6 Pod > Computer > Reaper with no issues?

Also, what are you refering to in the bold there?
Yeah, but like i said before i belive line 6 probably allready have there own recording software with the POD so you wouldnt need reaper.

You could also just get the Line 6 pod studio audio interface and use your computer (with the line 6 software) for effects/amp sims/cab sims.

If you look on the back of the mbox picture above theres two jacks labeled "insert". These are stereo jacks and you use a y splitter (cable that converts 1 stereo jack to 2 mono jacks) to attatch the line 6 pod. Works the same way and effects loop on an amp does, since the inserts are after the mic preamp.
Quote by beckyjc
Yeah, but like i said before i belive line 6 probably allready have there own recording software with the POD so you wouldnt need reaper.

You could also just get the Line 6 pod studio audio interface and use your computer (with the line 6 software) for effects/amp sims/cab sims.

If you look on the back of the mbox picture above theres two jacks labeled "insert". These are stereo jacks and you use a y splitter (cable that converts 1 stereo jack to 2 mono jacks) to attatch the line 6 pod. Works the same way and effects loop on an amp does, since the inserts are after the mic preamp.

http://line6.com/podstudioux1/

With that I could go Guitar > PodStudio > Computer > Podstudio interface

That's pretty cool, i'll have to look into that.

Also, could you ellaborate/dumb down the last paragraph there? XD I really didn't understand what you were saying
Going guitar>pod>computer>reaper could give you latency issues, depending on your sound card. What that is, in case you don't know, is when you hit a note on your guitar there is a slight delay before you hear it through the monitors. It basically makes playing on time, and recording impossible. Using a recording interface like becky posted eliminates the latency, because they have all the sound processing onboard, and are much faster than PC sound cards (unless you have a REALLY good one).

So ideally you'd have a setup something more like...

guitar > pod > interface > PC > DAW of choice.

EDIT: unless by pod you mean a pod recording interface like pod farm,or whatever it's called. In that case, disregard everything about latency.

The insert jacks allow you to put effects and other processors in after the preamps so they don't get distorted. basically one end of the insert cable is balanced, so it has 3 conductors. The tip signal is the send like an amp's FX loop, and the ring is the return, which sends the signal back to the interface so you can record.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Mar 17, 2011,
Quote by jpatan
Going guitar>pod>computer>reaper could give you latency issues, depending on your sound card. What that is, in case you don't know, is when you hit a note on your guitar there is a slight delay before you hear it through the monitors. It basically makes playing on time, and recording impossible. Using a recording interface like becky posted eliminates the latency, because they have all the sound processing onboard, and are much faster than PC sound cards (unless you have a REALLY good one).

So ideally you'd have a setup something more like...

guitar > pod > interface > PC > DAW of choice.

That said, you could monitor the Pod directly, and it wouldn't really be an issue.
Guitar > Podstudio interface -> Computer -> Ableton Live (Included software) then youd just add the pod farm plugin for the effects/amps/whatnot

In a gutiar amp an effects loop is there so you can use effects without colour or distortion from the preamp after the effect. Instead the effects are "inserted" after the preamp, ergo it sounds cleaner and doesnt overdrive the preamp. The insert jacks work on the same principal.

The insert jacks are balanced/stereo, so they can handle two hot signals, that would be your send (Signal out from after the preamp) and return signal (back into the unit). Youd need a cable to split these to two mono jack plugs so you can use them. (Send -> input of line 6 pod, return -> output of line 6 pod). THen plug your guitar into the coresponding source input.

I dont know if that helps.

Edit: I wouldnt of thought youd get latency issues using the Pod. i figured it'd act like an audio interface since it does pretty much the same thing.
Last edited by beckyjc at Mar 17, 2011,
Quote by beckyjc
Guitar > Podstudio interface -> Computer -> Ableton Live (Included software) then youd just add the pod farm plugin for the effects/amps/whatnot

In a gutiar amp an effects loop is there so you can use effects without colour or distortion from the preamp after the effect. Instead the effects are "inserted" after the preamp, ergo it sounds cleaner and doesnt overdrive the preamp. The insert jacks work on the same principal.

The insert jacks are balanced/stereo, so they can handle two hot signals, that would be your send (Signal out from after the preamp) and return signal (back into the unit). Youd need a cable to split these to two mono jack plugs so you can use them. (Send -> input of line 6 pod, return -> output of line 6 pod). THen plug your guitar into the coresponding source input.

I dont know if that helps.

Edit: I wouldnt of thought youd get latency issues using the Pod. i figured it'd act like an audio interface since it does pretty much the same thing.

So if I bought just the Podstudio, the software included with that is all I would need to start recording?

Regarding the lag, it says the Podstudio comes with Pod Farm 2.0, so that would make sure there is no lag?

Also, so when you want to used an effects pedal or something after a preamp, you would go Preamp > Effects Pedal > Back into Preamp?

Again thanks for all the help guys
Yes.

No, pod farm 2 is just a plugin that you would use in combination with the recording software to get your amp sims and effects.

The audio interface itself is what prevents latency, because it connects to your computer via USB and is much faster at converting analogue to digital than a stock soundcard.

Yeah.
Quote by Khann
That said, you could monitor the Pod directly, and it wouldn't really be an issue.

What do you mean by that?

Quote by beckyjc
Yes.

No, pod farm 2 is just a plugin that you would use in combination with the recording software to get your amp sims and effects.

The audio interface itself is what prevents latency, because it connects to your computer via USB and is much faster at converting analogue to digital than a stock soundcard.

Yeah.

ahhh, so basically using any audio interface, like POD studio or digidesign Mbox you have will make sure there is no lag?
Quote by L.A.P.D.
What do you mean by that?

He means using the headphone output on the POD to monitor/listen to what youre playing rather than using the headphone out on your computer. You will do this with all audio interfaces anyway.

ahhh, so basically using any audio interface, like POD studio or digidesign Mbox you have will make sure there is no lag?

Yep, thats the idea.
Quote by beckyjc
He means using the headphone output on the POD to monitor/listen to what youre playing rather than using the headphone out on your computer. You will do this with all audio interfaces anyway.

Yep, thats the idea.

Ohhh okay, That makes sense. I assume if you listen to the output on the POD you will be able to hear any effects the software put on it?

I appreciate all help guys