Hi,
So the other day I was watching few videos of Michael Angelo Batio etc. Now they are very fast like hell and they sound awesome. I realize playing fast is not the problem. I can learn to play fast but I wanna sound good like Angus young and stuff. I know all the techniques and scales and I know how to execute them really well but I don't sound good. I wanna sound good!!!!! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
ACE AND THE ASS
sorry for jumpin slightly off topic, but chuckles im trying to much improve and speed up my 3 notes per string alt picking, can u suggest any excercise..please
cheers buddy
cheers shall i concentrate on my right hand first, then my left will soon follow?

my left struggles to keep up with my right most times>
Last edited by Danslash at Mar 17, 2011,
Thanks for the Angus stuff guys But what about Michael Angelo!!!!! What should I do to make my shredding sound good!!
ACE AND THE ASS
Quote by metalmetalhead
maybe ear training? articulation? alot of licks have a different sound when played fast maybe you just need to give it a little more time?

Some links you can suggest maybe???? Or some stuff like I should really keep in mind??
ACE AND THE ASS
Well for ear training i just learn music by ear rather then tabs. Like zelda and star wars.

The articulation is the way you pick the notes. you can pick them soft or hard. It will sound wimpy or aggressive.

ear training helped me out tons as far as improvising and solos go. It doesnt matter how long you have been playing. If you have never learned music by ear start simple. Plus its alot funner to play slow songs at the right speed then to play fast songs very slow.

search transcribing and articulation for more details.
Quote by ady.gravity
Thanks for the Angus stuff guys But what about Michael Angelo!!!!! What should I do to make my shredding sound good!!

Note: It´s not the shredding that alone makes it sound good in his playing, it´s what´s played below it.
Try check out chord progressions for songs you like.
Quote by Sickz
Note: It´s not the shredding that alone makes it sound good in his playing, it´s what´s played below it.
Try check out chord progressions for songs you like.

You are right but Alone Rhythm sounding good doesn't makes the song good on whole even the solo or shred should sound good not just fast
here check this out and then give me some advice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb5QaCfm7bg
ACE AND THE ASS
Quote by Freepower
Well, why don't you sound good? There's a million reasons why and we can't help you with all of them...

Umm I guess I mentioned I know the techniques and the scales So what do u think can be the reason. I dont want lesson just tell me what I might be doing wrong and then I'll improve it
ACE AND THE ASS
ACE AND THE ASS
Quote by metalmetalhead
You need to learn some scales and music by ear. It sounds like your just doing the same thing over and over H'ons and P'offs. you gotta slow down and play music not exsersizes.

I know the scales but I hard it hard to implement it
ACE AND THE ASS
Quote by ady.gravity
So here's the link of an MP I recorded it features a short so called shred and a solo
http://roomp3.com/mp3/34157/Adgravty/Close/

Don't speed up your recorded tracks, it's not big and it's not clever.

And don't put them on that god-awful site, just upload them to your profile. Regardless of the sped up recording you weren't really playing anything, you were just spamming random notes as fast as you could.

Forget speed because that's the least of your worries, you need to learn to listen first...listen to what you're playing over and figure out what sounds will work over what's already there, and listen to what you're actually creating, and if it's mindless shit stop doing it

Put your guitar away, put on a fairly simple backing track and simply sing a solo over it, because that's your biggest problem - you're not thinking musically. Don't do anything complicated, just sing a melody that fits over the chords and listen to how those sonds you create interact with the backing. If you can't make music without a guitar you'll never be able to make music with one.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Don't speed up your recorded tracks, it's not big and it's not clever.

And don't put them on that god-awful site, just upload them to your profile. Regardless of the sped up recording you weren't really playing anything, you were just spamming random notes as fast as you could.

Forget speed because that's the least of your worries, you need to learn to listen first...listen to what you're playing over and figure out what sounds will work over what's already there, and listen to what you're actually creating, and if it's mindless shit stop doing it

Put your guitar away, put on a fairly simple backing track and simply sing a solo over it, because that's your biggest problem - you're not thinking musically. Don't do anything complicated, just sing a melody that fits over the chords and listen to how those sonds you create interact with the backing. If you can't make music without a guitar you'll never be able to make music with one.

thanxx I knew it was shit but I needed some advice and I got a good one thanks
ACE AND THE ASS
Quote by metalmetalhead
You need to learn some scales and music by ear. It sounds like your just doing the same thing over and over H'ons and P'offs. you gotta slow down and play music not exsersizes.

So I too your advise and downloaded a backing track and improvised solo over it. Its not good but i made some progress i guess. Tell me whatya think http://roomp3.com/mp3/34163/Adygravity/Final/
ACE AND THE ASS
who's Surely?
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
Quote by ady.gravity
So I too your advise and downloaded a backing track and improvised solo over it. Its not good but i made some progress i guess. Tell me whatya think http://roomp3.com/mp3/34163/Adygravity/Final/

It wasn't great at the start, then again you wouldn't necessarily expect it to be - but it got better as you went along. Granted there were a few bum notes in there and it was a bit scaley at times but equally there were some really nice ideas in there where you could tell you were listening to your backing and finding things that worked well.

What's worth doing is sitting there just listening back to it a few times and making note of the bits that sound wrong or didn't work, figure out why they didn't work and see if you can change those bits around so they sound better. Don't just beat yourself up though, identify the parts where it all sounds like it comes together and really works well. The important thing is that it shows you've do have some musical instincts there, once or twice you hit on a really nice sounding motif, realised it sounded good and ran with it for a little while, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - if you listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird solo that's pretty much all they do for 8 minutes!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It wasn't great at the start, then again you wouldn't necessarily expect it to be - but it got better as you went along. Granted there were a few bum notes in there and it was a bit scaley at times but equally there were some really nice ideas in there where you could tell you were listening to your backing and finding things that worked well.

What's worth doing is sitting there just listening back to it a few times and making note of the bits that sound wrong or didn't work, figure out why they didn't work and see if you can change those bits around so they sound better. Don't just beat yourself up though, identify the parts where it all sounds like it comes together and really works well. The important thing is that it shows you've do have some musical instincts there, once or twice you hit on a really nice sounding motif, realised it sounded good and ran with it for a little while, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - if you listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird solo that's pretty much all they do for 8 minutes!

thank you very much. you really inspired me
ACE AND THE ASS
Thats much better. A long with what seagull said. When your inspired to learn a new song try it by ear.

I just learned a few zelda songs the other day they are cool. lord of the rings is cool. and its all melodic too.
Quote by metalmetalhead
Thats much better. A long with what seagull said. When your inspired to learn a new song try it by ear.

I just learned a few zelda songs the other day they are cool. lord of the rings is cool. and its all melodic too.

Thanxx. can you suggest me any website fsom where i can download more backing tracks
ACE AND THE ASS
Agree with learning songs by ear, it will make you much better.
Then again, if you want to make good shred, learn the solos of bands you like, aswell as the chord progressions below the solo.
It will make your lick vocabliary bigger and learn you stuff you like.
After learning solos of many diffrent bands you like and get that into your playing your more and more getting an own style.

That is my advice, good luck man!