Page 1 of 2
I'm using a Schecter c-1 elite w/Duncan Distortions

After the first hour of playing around with the 6505+, I had mixed feelings. Keep in mind I was coming from a 3-channel Mesa Dual Rectifier. People said how easy the 6505+ was to dial in, I beg to differ. My old Dual Recto was much easier to dial in for me. I still don't have the 6505+ where I want it.

I happen to love the clean/crunch channel on this amp. I don't know what people are talking about not being able to get clean tones from it. Even with hot pickups I was able to get very nice cleans, awesome blues, and amazing crunch tones.

The lead channel was a little different. I like my mids scooped from 0-2. I just had a hell of a time getting a ball ripping distortion tone I liked. I've almost got it perfect now, but it was a challenge. Anything over 5-6 on the gain is pretty much useless IMO. You will not need any sort of distortion pedal with this amp.

My complaint about this amp. I had my Mesa head in the exact same spot as this 6505+, and It was whisper quiet, no hums, feedback,etc. Everything was going smooth on the 6505+ until I tried the effects loop with my Hardwire delay and reverb. All I get when the effects loop is engaged is a loud hum. I tried different cables, different pedals, etc.

I was about to send this amp back until I tried one more thing. I moved my whole setup to a different room and most if not all the hum was gone. WTH? I never had one problem with my Mesa.

Can anyone advise on this issue?

All In all, I still have mixed feelings about this amp, IDK what I'm going to do yet...
You need more mids for a start mate. Also what cab are you using?

The 6505s are a loud amp, its just the way they were designed, they should give you a free ISP Decimator when you buy one.

They are great amps but vastly different to a Mesa and if you were expecting similar results to your old amp, well you wont ever like the 6505. They are completely different.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The whole appeal of the 6505's comes from their midrange. I've never used one with the mids below 6. Borrow a good EQ pedal off someone (if you don't already own one) and scoop the mids with that if you must, just crank them on the amp and give it some time for the beauty to sink in.
if you like 0-2 mids you are tone deaf
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

My biggest issue with this amp is the effects loop hum. When I moved my setup to different room (not where I want it), it was almost gone. It only happens when the effects loop is engaged.

Any ideas on how to stop the effects loop hum?
noise gate.

Nothing else to do really.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Mids.... use them.

I was having trouble cutting through at band practice recently, and I bumped the mids up a bit... presto. And I didn't even have them scooped. Just the normal Mark IV "V" formation on the EQ.

As far as the hum from the loop... maybe try a decimator. Try jumping the FX send directly to the return and see if it still hums. If so, it's nothing to do with your pedals. If not, then something in your chain is causing it. Could just be preamp noise, or low frequency feedback.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Get an EQ pedal and noise gate.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Yes I tried moving the ground switch.

I must be getting interference from somewhere. It's just I never had this problem with the Effects Loop in the Mesa.

Like I said, moving the whole rig to another room canceled out the hum. Could higher quality Planet Waves cables make a difference? (I'm using live wire now)
I love my 6505 head. I agree that the clean channel gets a lot of unjustified hate. Though it definitely isn't a Twin Reverb, I can get some pretty nice cleans using my strat and chorus and delay pedal.

Ditto on using the mids. Never understood why so many people scoop the mids on this amp.

Oh and yeah, look into getting an ISP Decimator.

My Gear

Peavey 6505 head
Mesa 2x12 Recto Cab w/ Celestion V30s
Carvin Legacy 2x12 Cab w/ Celestion V30s
Fender American Standard Strat w/ Bare Knuckle Sinner
Malekko Ekko 616
BOSS CE-1
Dr. Scientist RRR
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by wick001
My biggest issue with this amp is the effects loop hum. When I moved my setup to different room (not where I want it), it was almost gone. It only happens when the effects loop is engaged.

Any ideas on how to stop the effects loop hum?

Probably something to do with your electricity supply. I get shitloads of hum on my MG near a wireless router, or when I get a text on my cell.
Quote by wick001
I'm using a Schecter c-1 elite w/Duncan Distortions

After the first hour of playing around with the 6505+, I had mixed feelings. Keep in mind I was coming from a 3-channel Mesa Dual Rectifier. People said how easy the 6505+ was to dial in, I beg to differ. My old Dual Recto was much easier to dial in for me. I still don't have the 6505+ where I want it.

I happen to love the clean/crunch channel on this amp. I don't know what people are talking about not being able to get clean tones from it. Even with hot pickups I was able to get very nice cleans, awesome blues, and amazing crunch tones.

The lead channel was a little different. I like my mids scooped from 0-2. I just had a hell of a time getting a ball ripping distortion tone I liked. I've almost got it perfect now, but it was a challenge. Anything over 5-6 on the gain is pretty much useless IMO. You will not need any sort of distortion pedal with this amp.

My complaint about this amp. I had my Mesa head in the exact same spot as this 6505+, and It was whisper quiet, no hums, feedback,etc. Everything was going smooth on the 6505+ until I tried the effects loop with my Hardwire delay and reverb. All I get when the effects loop is engaged is a loud hum. I tried different cables, different pedals, etc.

I was about to send this amp back until I tried one more thing. I moved my whole setup to a different room and most if not all the hum was gone. WTH? I never had one problem with my Mesa.

Can anyone advise on this issue?

All In all, I still have mixed feelings about this amp, IDK what I'm going to do yet...

rule #1 with the 6505: dont try and get a scooped tone, its not gonna happen
rule #2 with the 6505: no point in putting the gain anywhere past 6, but even though there is a lot of unusable gain, there's just as much usable gain
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Meh, the 6505+ has tons of mids. You can't scoop that amp, even if you put the mids at 0.

I have the mids on my 5150 at 4 and it slices through a mix like the miracle blade perfection series
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Meh, the 6505+ has tons of mids. You can't scoop that amp, even if you put the mids at 0.

I have the mids on my 5150 at 4 and it slices through a mix like the miracle blade perfection series

yeah i agree, when you turn the mids way down on a 5150 it reacts differently than most amps do. it doesn't really give you a scooped tone, it just gives you a crappy tone
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I suppose I figured out the problem with the effects loop hum/buzz.

I must be getting interference, because when I arrange the cables a certain way the noise is gone. Very strange considering my Dual Rec didn't do this at all, and I'm using quality cables.

Anyways, I still don't know how I feel about the amp. I like it, not love it. I kind of miss my Dual Rec now...
Why did you decide to trade? Just curious. I'm starting to consider trading my 5150 and VK for a Triple Rec, maybe.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I love the 6505, I am selling my ENGL and then come Summer will be buying a 2nd hand 6505

I think they are a definite love or hate hate thing.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Offworld92
Why did you decide to trade? Just curious. I'm starting to consider trading my 5150 and VK for a Triple Rec, maybe.

I sold it just because I got bored with it and wanted something else to play around with.

Now having compared it to a JCM2000 DSL, Peavey Windsor(lol), and this 6505+, I really miss that Mesa Dual Rec.

The cleans were amazing, the raw/vintage/modern modes were amazing, I just loved the sound of it. Such a versatile amp.

Maybe I'll spring for the Roadster and never look back...
It's funny how everyone has their own opinions on everything, but what get's me is the people who put down those opinions like their's are better or more important.

If you like scooping the mids, scoop them, if you want them on 10, so be it. ME personally, I don't like them above 4 on this 6505+, sweet spot is around 2 for me.
Opinions are like Clits.

Every Cunts got one.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by wick001
I sold it just because I got bored with it and wanted something else to play around with.

Now having compared it to a JCM2000 DSL, Peavey Windsor(lol), and this 6505+, I really miss that Mesa Dual Rec.

The cleans were amazing, the raw/vintage/modern modes were amazing, I just loved the sound of it. Such a versatile amp.

Maybe I'll spring for the Roadster and never look back...

so basically you are Tom1.0?

srsly, in the other thread when you said you sold the dual rec and cab for $1800 i thought that was a good deal. but one you may regret as the dual rec is a great amp that other amps don't really impersonate that well...

you may want to consider some engls, soldanos, diezels, fortin or vht amps next time around.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I think i'll hold on to this 6505+ for a bit, it's kind of growing on me. I also like the extra $1000 in my pocket from the mesa... haha
Quote by gregs1020
so basically you are Tom1.0?

srsly, in the other thread when you said you sold the dual rec and cab for $1800 i thought that was a good deal. but one you may regret as the dual rec is a great amp that other amps don't really impersonate that well...

you may want to consider some engls, soldanos, diezels, fortin or vht amps next time around.

HEY!

Be quiet Grandad.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Opinions are like Clits.

Every Cunts got one.

well...i just think it's the funniest setting.

that amp is for lolz right.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
an $800 6505+ is no bargain imo.

a $1100 Soldano Hot Rod 50+ is.
a $1000 Peters Custom Dual Channel is.
a $1050 Splawn Competition is.

raise the bar d00d. i don't care if the bands play live with 6505s and 5150s all the time. (I seriously doubt those guys use those heads at home ) just sayin'.

notanedit: Tom, i'm still a few years from being a grandad, i hope.
Quote by gregs1020
an $800 6505+ is no bargain imo.

Nope, but a $500 one is.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
well..the 6505+ is a love hate kind of amp. i played it the first time and i loved it. i bought it. i sold it. with the money i got from my tax return, selling the 6505+, and selling my G-major Mki. i bought a BBE sonic maximizer and a 6534+!! LOVE IT
Quote by MatrixClaw
Nope, but a $500 one is.

right, for a "plus" sure. there is a $550 5150 head sitting my clist, it's been there for weeks. i'm still convinced that's overpriced.

if it hits $400 i'm buying it and ebaying it immediately lol.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/msg/2265182850.html
Quote by gregs1020
right, for a "plus" sure. there is a $550 5150 head sitting my clist, it's been there for weeks. i'm still convinced that's overpriced.

if it hits $400 i'm buying it and ebaying it immediately lol.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/msg/2265182850.html

I think the problem here is that he's had it listed for weeks and still hasn't put up a picture.

If he listed that on a guitar forum, that amp would be gone within a day at that price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I think the problem here is that he's had it listed for weeks and still hasn't put up a picture.

If he listed that on a guitar forum, that amp would be gone within a day at that price.

SSSHHHHH!

imma do that when it hits $400.
Quote by wick001
Where you would guys classify the 6505 series in terms of music type?

it's an amp that excells at metal tones, if i'm reading your english correctly.
It's good that you are getting closer to achieving the tone you want. One issue with the 6505+ is that its more high mid focused and not low mid focused like your Dual Rec or even like the standard 6505. I'm sure if you had the standard 6505 head you'd be able to find your tone a LOT quicker. The 6505 however doesn't have the cleans that the 6505+ does so that is a potential problem.

I say if you like the Dual Rec so much more then grab another one or try a Roadster out or something. Dual Rec and roadster are more versatile than the 6505's , no question but that doesn't mean that these amps are hard rock/metal machines only, I've seen 6505's do all genres, with the right settings.

Let us know what you decide to do and we all wish you luck in purchasing a new amp or not :-)
Page 1 of 2