My main question is tuning stability. i know that it will stay in tune but will it stay in tune enough for me to do dive bombs and all that stuff. i know that the PRS tremolo isnt designed for all that but just give me a straight answer. im asking cos ive got a PRS SE Singlecut on its way and i want to make sure it stays in tune when i abuse the tremol. thanks!
Nope, a locking nut only works with trem systems that have fine tuners on them. The nut puts strings slightly out of tune when it clamps them, so without fine tuners on the bridge your guitar will be out of tune.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Mar 17, 2011,
If you find you're going out of tune, try rubbing pencil lead on the nut. It lubricates the movement so the strings don't catch.

You probably won't get much dive-bombing range on a Singlecut trem, though.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by Metalfan41
Nope, a locking nut only works with trem systems that have fine tuners on them. The nut puts strings slightly out of tune when it clamps them, so without fine tuners on the bridge your guitar will be out of tune.

good point. i just need it to stay perfectly in tune. i don't wanna have to mess with pencil drawing in the nut if i get locking tuners. but doesn't the locking nut put the strings out of tune if it doesn't have a retainer bar? if i had a retainer bar would it stay in tune then?
Quote by sonic_777111
If you find you're going out of tune, try rubbing pencil lead on the nut. It lubricates the movement so the strings don't catch.

You probably won't get much dive-bombing range on a Singlecut trem, though.

i'll make it get dive bombing range
Quote by Way Cool JR.
If you planed on abusing the trem a lot you realy should have bought a guitar with a Floyd. The SE will make you a great guitar quality wise but I don't think it will hold up to any trem abuse and stay in tune no mater what you do to it. IMO they are more for light use and vibratos not dive bombing thats where Floyd's come in to play.

yeah i know but its the closest im gonna get. oh well. don't worry, i'll be gentle. hahah
Quote by pyrofication
good point. i just need it to stay perfectly in tune. i don't wanna have to mess with pencil drawing in the nut if i get locking tuners. but doesn't the locking nut put the strings out of tune if it doesn't have a retainer bar? if i had a retainer bar would it stay in tune then?

All a retainer bar does is make sure all the strings have the same break angle behind the nut, it has nothing to do with the nut changing the tune of the strings. Floyd Roses originally didn't have fine tuners on them until everyone complained about how the nut made their guitars go out of tune, so they were added to the design, thus the Floyd Rose Original was born.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by pyrofication
i don't wanna have to mess with pencil drawing in the nut if i get locking tuners.

Rubbing a pencil in the slots is hardly a lot of work and it works like a charm.
My experience of PRS vintage trems is all good(American PRS here so not sure on SE trems construction), properly setup and lubed you can give it quite alot of abuse and still come back to pitch no probs.

You will need to make sure:

all 6 trem screws/posts are at the exact same height, lubed and that the knife edges are clean & lubed - I use chap stick for this and all knife edge lubing, its silicon baesd and non reactive on the finish and does not dry out over time.

The nut slots and the saddle string guides are well "penciled" and that there are no sharp edges anywhere that the sting can catch on.

With all that you can get a good approximation of a divebomb however the trem will not allow total slack on the strings due to how the trem screws which also double as the trem posts restrict movement, you will also get exactly a semitone of pull up when setup correctly.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Jun 29, 2011,
As a side note, have you considered a Whammy pedal that has a dive bomb feature? It may not be as organic or sensitive as using a trem/wham bar, but something to consider IF you have difficulties with your guitar.
Quote by Metalfan41
All a retainer bar does is make sure all the strings have the same break angle behind the nut, it has nothing to do with the nut changing the tune of the strings. Floyd Roses originally didn't have fine tuners on them until everyone complained about how the nut made their guitars go out of tune, so they were added to the design, thus the Floyd Rose Original was born.

and the point in making the break angle the same or more than the nut is... because if its less then clamping the strings down will put it out of tune.
Quote by xadioriderx
and the point in making the break angle the same or more than the nut is... because if its less then clamping the strings down will put it out of tune.

Actually, if it's less than clamping the strings down it will cause them to buzz on the nut.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
^Read again. He said "then" not "than". What he said is right. Of course what you said is right too, it just wasn't a correction of what his post.

Quote by Pikka Bird
^Read again. He said "then" not "than". What he said is right. Of course what you said is right too, it just wasn't a correction of what his post.

ohh thank you lol
i was trying to figure out how tightening them down with a less-than angle would make them buzz, but i get it now =p