Hey UG.com

So, i'll start by posting a "shredding" video of mine, so that you guys can see what i have learned, and what i need to learn:

Shredding

so, as you can see, i really need improvment, cuz my playing is really mediocre, so don't go around saying that it is cuz i know it.

I just wanted advices on what to learn next, and how to improve what i already know....

thanks

PS- i messed up and posted this on another the "electric guitar" category xD
He ment that you shouldn't post the same stuff in another forum part... *facepalm*
What he ment was that you should look at the other threads, because there are hundreds of them.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Last edited by Kalo Hanaka at Mar 17, 2011,
Oh damn mate

I was looking at it and I was like

Ok, let's think that you have the speed and physical strength, and you have the technique. But you can't really put it to use, so start learning from those who have put it to use, learn solos and songs of the artists you like, by learning their licks and parts you will come to understanding how to write something like this.
slow the **** down.

you cant play and your already trying to "shred"

theres a difference between playing random notes as fast as you can and shredding

learn the major scale all over the neck

learn about modes and how they are used

decrease speed by approx. 200 bpm

edit:

buy some fucking strings, they cost $8.
Last edited by rickyj at Mar 17, 2011,
idk i feel like i can feel your guitars bad action through the video. thats probably cause your missing two strings and everything making it worse but yeah if you learn what youre doing because it seems kinda like random playing in the video, you can pick and choose better notes to play at those speeds
Essentially what people are saying:

Slow down. A lot.

Learn your theory.

Practice, Practice, Practice.
Quote by Wisthekiller
I'll repost what I put in your other thread

You need to learn how to play the guitar.

You need to stop arsing about making noise for the sake of pretending to "shred"

"Speed" is nothing without accuracy or musically, neither of which you manage to exhibit in that video. So, the brutal truth is, you CAN'T shred, and you're nowhere near close to being good enough so stop trying for the forseeable future and concentrate on things that matter and will actually help you improve.

Slow down and focus on playing accurately, playing melodically and most importantly LISTENING, both to what you're playing over and what you're actually creating. That video was nothing more than random noise, and you're not yet at the point where you're technically good enough or musically experienced enough to create anything at that speed.

Follow the chords you're playing over, and choose your notes based on how they function over the backing as well as with each other. Listen to what you're creating and ask yourself questions like "Does this fit, does this sound good...does this even sound like music?". Those things are far more important than "Is this shredding?"...shred is a meaningless word anyway, it pretty much applies to any fast, technically accomplished guitar music.

And the important bits there are "technically accomplished" and, most importantly, "music".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
+1 at the Seagull
Quote by Wisthekiller
understand that note selection is EVERYTHING. Marty friedman is one of my favorite guitarists solely because his solos in megadeth are both technical and memorable as hell. look at the notes he chooses in certain spots even for split seconds its fantastic. he could play something slow and be just as effective because of his note choice
AHAHAHA LOOL

you guys said that i was playing random notes, and that is exactly what i was doing, i tought that shredding was like improvisation or sumting like that.

What i wanated to know was what i could do to start actually learning to play the guitar, i already knew i couldn't play it well, so i posted it here, cuz i knew i'd get bad reactions, but i also knew i'd get advices like the ones i actually got, specially from steven seagull, but from all you guys.

thanks people, thanks a lot
Quote by zurgoku
AHAHAHA LOOL

you guys said that i was playing random notes, and that is exactly what i was doing, i tought that shredding was like improvisation or sumting like that.

Improvising isn't random notes.
If you go to a comedy improv night, they don't pick out random sentences do they? No it all fits together based on the situation, etc.

Like music. Kinda.
Most music.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
Quote by rickyj
slow the **** down.

you cant play and your already trying to "shred"

theres a difference between playing random notes as fast as you can and shredding

learn the major scale all over the neck

learn about modes and how they are used

decrease speed by approx. 200 bpm

edit:

buy some fucking strings, they cost $8.

Are you sure the TS is anywhere near being ready to lean about modes?

The TS would be much better off and have a sense of accomplishment learning box patterns and some simple songs.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
I have three good tips... major scales for one! That really helps having structure in notes while improvising. Two... your going to seriously need to get the two strings! You have to have chores or something right? Also... most of all... covers, covers, COVERS! (only when you have all strings, if you don't have them all then it'll be hard to find anything to play!) Do covers of bands you want to be like. If the song is too difficult, just slow down the speed until you can play it. If you keep doing covers you can pick up techniques from the bands and figure out more common tunings used for the style of music your into (I'm assuming your metal so some popular tunings would be cgcfad and dadgbe). Keep practicing man.
anyone can shred random notes dude, start learning lead scales.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED