alright, Im thinking about getting a Boss Gt-10 guitar processor and i was wondering a few things

1) how easy is one of these to set up because i have seen alot of demos and there are a ton of wires going every which way?

2) how much of an influence will my guitar and pickups have on the sound since all the sounds will be all presets?
3) will it sound better if i play it through my macbook pro with garage band, external speakers or should i plug it straight to my peavey vypyr 15w?

any help is appreciated

Gear:

Ibanez: S570DXQM
Seymour Duncan Invader: Bridge
Ibanez Infinity 1: Neck
Peavey Vypyr 15W
DR Strings 9-42
Why do you want it? Do you want it for the effects, or the amp modelling?
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Before you decide to buy it i think you should check out the Line6 HD 500
Quote by Shredder425

1) how easy is one of these to set up because i have seen alot of demos and there are a ton of wires going every which way?

2) how much of an influence will my guitar and pickups have on the sound since all the sounds will be all presets?
3) will it sound better if i play it through my macbook pro with garage band, external speakers or should i plug it straight to my peavey vypyr 15w?

the EZ create mode is good, people do not give it enough credit.

In my experience with 3 sets of pickups and 2 guitars, i cant tell the difference. People with more experienced ears will disagree heavily on this though.

depending on how loud your external speakers get, its hard to say still. i played through AV40 monitors and even a stereo boombox and it was OK. I plugged it into a crate flexwave 2x12 and it sounds better. i do not recommend both your setups for the best sound though.

if you use your external speakers, you will really have to dive into the speaker cab sims(which i now believe is a weak point of the GT10)
For effects alone, the GT-10 kills about every other sub 500 dolalr MFX out there.
Amp sims and cab sims however are on the weak side.

If you want good amp sims, but are willing to put up with less of them, the DigiDesign (thats the company right?) Eleven Rack is one of the best in that price range.
The Digitech RP1000 is also good if its low-mid gain amp models that you want, with effects on par with the GT-10, but with less flexibility and raw features/tweakability. However its high gain amp models, though better than the Boss's, lose out to the POD HD500.
The HD-500's high gain amp models KILL. Best way to put it.
Effects are quite good, however you sacrifice quality for flexibility here. Its got all the bells and whistles of the GT, but effects dont sound as rich or lush as the GT or the RP. And low-mid gain amp models are a bit lacking, though thats jsut my opinion.

Try out all three, take the one that suits your needs better.

And to really take advantage of a modeller that doesnt model poweramps, and only models pre and EQ sections as all these three do, you need a tube poweramp through a proper speaker cab.
How much can you spend? And your styles of music/current gear?