I am thinking of taking my 4-string frettless bass and have it tuned to BEAD but an octive up. I asked at guitar center yesterday if they had a 5 string piccolo bass set and they didnt have any, and he told me to "make" a set. With that in mind what string sizes would i need to achive this seemingly awesome idea into a reality?
you'd probably want between .055 and .080 depending on your tightness preference for the B string.

I reckon I'd try somewhere around .065 first.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
^Waaaaaaaay too heavy imo
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
^Waaaaaaaay too heavy imo

you would only have to tune up a full step, which I guess could make things pretty tight. but I think if you got a thin set you shouldn't have any problems.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I'm using the d'addario piccolo set and a .028(i think) for the C (tuned ADGCF). You should be fine using the standard set, as the only string that felt like it might break is the F (which isn't a problem for you).
The one thing to watch is that if you tune it up, the strings will stretch and you can't tune it lower without them being all floppy. Also, the .020 is wierd and unwound, so it souds really bright compared to the others (to me anyway)