I'm modding a Xaviere XV-870 and im new to changing pickups. First off is it even a "do it yourself" thing?

Secondly i played a guitar in a music store that had a Pearly Gates bridge and a Seymour Duncan JB in the neck. I liked it, but what are you guys favorite combinations? The sound im looking for is just the best clean sound i can get. best i can explain is THIS sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIwm7Z4G-j4

Distortion is nice, but not a selling point in this. I have to switch from single coil to humbuckers too. i get the feeling thatll be a bitch.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin
it's do-it yourself if you can solder (or even if you're willing to learn, but obviously don't start on your guitar, lol).

the xv870 is the strat-style one, right?

first thing to do is take off the scratchplate to see how the body is routed.

EDIT: that was some nice clean tone in that video I get the feeling that it's somewhat more amp-dependent than guitar- i could be wrong, but I didn't hear anything terribly guitar-specific in there, like the way when you hear a strat and if the person doesn't have a strat, that's the problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Seymour Duncan actually makes some of their popular humbuckers in single-coil format. You could get a JB Jr. for the bridge (single-coil version of the JB), and a Little '59 for the neck (single-coil version of the '59). That's a VERY popular pickup combination and those would both be a straight drop-in to your stock pickguard.

Just keep in mind, the JB can get kind of "ice-picky" with the highs. It would probably be even more prone to that in a strat-style guitar. As long as you're aware of that and adjust your amp settings accordingly you should be fine. Just don't jack your treble way up or you'll start to pierce eardrums...

EDIT: Here's a tone chart for Seymour Duncan's single coil pickups. You can listen to samples of them to see which ones give you the sound you're looking for:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/audio-samples/strat_replaceme/
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Mar 17, 2011,
That's a pretty basic clean tone. I've gotten a similar tone with EMGs on a Valveking, Ibanez stock pickups on a Vetta, Burstbuckers on a JCM, etc. What's your amp situation?

Also, I'm definitely checking out this band. I find that when bands know how to really get a nice clean tone and not abuse it, they're worth a listen or two.
Oh, and on topic, the DiMarzio Cruiser is a single sized humbucker (IIRC) that has amazing clean and dirty tones free of hum. Andy Timmons uses it as I recall.
Quote by trueamerican
That's a pretty basic clean tone. I've gotten a similar tone with EMGs on a Valveking, Ibanez stock pickups on a Vetta, Burstbuckers on a JCM, etc. What's your amp situation?

Also, I'm definitely checking out this band. I find that when bands know how to really get a nice clean tone and not abuse it, they're worth a listen or two.

yeah, that's what i meant when i said it was more amp-specific- if your amp has a nice clean tone with a similar tonality/voicing to that used in the video and you're using reasonably low output pickups (whether humbucker, fender-style single coil, p90 or something else), you should be able to get pretty close.

It's not one of those tones where you know it's awesome, but where you also know you need very specific gear to nail it.

And yeah, I really liked the intro- i wasn't so keen when the singing started (maybe it rocked up later, I didn't listen that long ), but yeah, i dug the intro a lot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, that's what i meant when i said it was more amp-specific- if your amp has a nice clean tone with a similar tonality/voicing to that used in the video and you're using reasonably low output pickups (whether humbucker, fender-style single coil, p90 or something else), you should be able to get pretty close.

It's not one of those tones where you know it's awesome, but where you also know you need very specific gear to nail it.

And yeah, I really liked the intro- i wasn't so keen when the singing started (maybe it rocked up later, I didn't listen that long ), but yeah, i dug the intro a lot.

We get it Dave, you're always right!

And I liked the song. I wasn't a huge fan of the singing style, but I thought it worked well with the music.

I also tried it, and got very similar tones from my Viper w/ EMGs on the neck position into my Spider III after fiddling around with the delay, bass, mids, and treble. And then my amp started picking up radio (not kidding). I don't think it matters at all what pickups you have (within reason, no dimebuckers in hurr) or really what amp. Just mess with the settings and you should find it IMO.
hehe

but yeah, it's a very nice, but pretty easy to get, clean tone

Which I guess is a nice change, most of the threads we have to tell the threadstarter that they actually need a dumble or something like that Kind of annoying to have to be the one to tell the cold truth all the time
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
hehe

but yeah, it's a very nice, but pretty easy to get, clean tone

Which I guess is a nice change, most of the threads we have to tell the threadstarter that they actually need a dumble or something like that Kind of annoying to have to be the one to tell the cold truth all the time

I wish I had a Dumble

Or a Randall. Because, y'know, some guitars can only sound good through a Randall
haha, did someone say that around here? I must have missed that
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, ill of course at least give this guitar's stock pickups a shot before trashing them. I actually hear a lot of good about them, i just dont trust it in a $160 guitar. Everyone is singing this thing's praise that reviews it. anyway, ill look into a few of these pickups and see what i like.

And yeah, i absolutely love the intro and the style of the song, im not too keen on his singing either, or for many of their other songs at that....this is some of my girl's music actually...you know how that is. i take what i can get
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin
The best combination ever is Vintage PAF in the bridge and EMG 81 in the neck. Thats my guitars' configuration
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
Quote by Dave_Mc
haha, did someone say that around here? I must have missed that

Dude... Rhythm in Jump, Dancing Close to You?
Quote by terribleguitar
The best combination ever is Vintage PAF in the bridge and EMG 81 in the neck. Thats my guitars' configuration

There is no "best combination ever." But if there were, it would be a D-Sonic in the bridge, a PAF Joe in the neck, and if there's a middle pickup, the Cruiser (I'd prefer an EMG SA, but that's a pain in the ass).
Quote by trueamerican
Dude... Rhythm in Jump, Dancing Close to You?

oh devries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
aw
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well, just as update, the Xaviere was sold out and it was already my 4th choice, so no Xaviere. They said all they had were B grade guitars now...and i dont really want to touch that. So now im going for either an Agile 2500, 3000, or 3100. The 3000 and 3100 come with Type V Alnico pickups, and i hear they are not bad at all so i might not change these. the 2500 would need a change.
You can never go wrong with a simple SD 59/59 set. Regardless of what genre you play. They'd go really nicely in an Agile too, probably.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by trueamerican
There is no "best combination ever." But if there were, it would be a D-Sonic in the bridge, a PAF Joe in the neck, and if there's a middle pickup, the Cruiser (I'd prefer an EMG SA, but that's a pain in the ass).

I was just kidding!
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12