So I'm in Champaign-Urbana visiting University of Illinois since I'm considering going there; I had some free time so I went to CV Lloyd's guitar shop to check it out

Had lots of more high end stuff (Prestige ibanez, gibsons, prs, Mesa, orange, high end Marshall) and was pretty sweet

I tried out the following

Ibanez XPT 707FX
Ibanez MBM1BK Matt Bachand signature
Marshall JVM 210 into a new 1960 lead cab
Mesa mark v into a mesa 2X12
Line 6 Pod HD 400

So after trying all this, I found the following:

I like ibanez style guitars a lot, and probably will never go for different neck dimensions regardless of company
The mark v was quite versatile, but very much a tweaker's amp
The JVM sounding really good, but only 3 of the 4 channels were useable IMO
The pod was pretty good, certainly a step up in quality from the X3 and XT series, not as good as an axe fx or real amp, but good none the less

Now where does this leave me?

I've realized that I personally like both british and American voicings and would be happy with either so long as the eq affects the tone sufficiently (a la mark v graphic eq) but, at the same time, I find the mark v to be a tad bit limited in it's high gain sounds

So, know of any amps that have a wide eq range like the mark v, and can do cleans to high gain excellently? Only 2 channels NEEDED

Proposed budget is 2000-2400 preferably less, in teh US, used is an option, and I play mainly metal, rock, classic rock and metal, some blues and punk, and a bit of jazz and ska infrequently

Stuff I'm considering right now:
Axe fx ultra
Baron DHG with a clean head (could use suggestions for a cheap latter)
Blackstar series One 200
Splawn quickrod

Thanks
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Last edited by Metalmaker at Mar 17, 2011,
A used Road King II would do you nicely. You've got some extra channels to play around with when you get bored too. The Roadster would be a good choice too but it doesn't reconfigure the power section for different tones.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
A used Road King II would do you nicely. You've got some extra channels to play around with when you get bored too. The Roadster would be a good choice too but it doesn't reconfigure the power section for different tones.

I have seen the beast that is the road king II, and it looks good, but you think a tubescreamer would sufficiently tighten it up for when I need a tight sound? Also, I'm a bit afraid of the characteristic high end sizzle and "fizz" for the dual recs, should I be?
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
The Road King is real tight on it's own already, you shouldn't really need a Tubescreamer to tighten it up though you can if you want. It's a completely different amp when compared to the standard Dual Rec. The voicing is very different and doesn't have the fizz in the high end.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
The Road King is real tight on it's own already, you shouldn't really need a Tubescreamer to tighten it up though you can if you want. It's a completely different amp when compared to the standard Dual Rec. The voicing is very different and doesn't have the fizz in the high end.

It does sound most beast, but I'd like some cheaper options, would an any of the other amps I was looking at be suitable?

EDIT:

Thinking more, the road king is a bit too expensive, even used, it'd be awesome but I'd rather cheaper, also, the Matt bachard signature guitar I played had an emg 81 and 60 combo in it, but I noticed it was quite a bit lower output compared to the d activators in the xpt 7 string
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
Last edited by Metalmaker at Mar 17, 2011,
I can recommend the Roadster, I have it. Can do anything.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
2nd hand 2 channel dual rec and my Jc.....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Axe FX Ultra - Definitely out of budget as you need a power amp as well
Baron DHG - Dunno, never played or heard any clips
Blackstar Series One 200 - Doesn't do what you want, IMO sounds like a JCM2000
Splawn Quick Rod - Does British tones but the clean channel doesn't sound anything like an American voiced amp.

The Road King is definitely in your budget if you look around. I know mexican_shred got his for like $1400. Used ones never go for more than $2200 and that's a really high price. The Roadster averages around $1400-1500.

The Custom Audio OD100 and its variants do a good Deluxe/Twin clean channel with a rodded Marshall dirt channel, though they cost a bit more than the Road King new and used when you can find them.

The Bogner Shiva has a great rodded JCM800 type gain channel and while the clean channel isn't really American voiced, it's very nice. They're several hundred cheaper than the Road King, both new and used.

If you want to use your XXX as a power amp, you can pick up a CAA 3+SE preamp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Axe FX Ultra - Definitely out of budget as you need a power amp as well
Baron DHG - Dunno, never played or heard any clips
Blackstar Series One 200 - Doesn't do what you want, IMO sounds like a JCM2000
Splawn Quick Rod - Does British tones but the clean channel doesn't sound anything like an American voiced amp.

The Road King is definitely in your budget if you look around. I know mexican_shred got his for like $1400. Used ones never go for more than $2200 and that's a really high price. The Roadster averages around $1400-1500.

The Custom Audio OD100 and its variants do a good Deluxe/Twin clean channel with a rodded Marshall dirt channel, though they cost a bit more than the Road King new and used when you can find them.

The Bogner Shiva has a great rodded JCM800 type gain channel and while the clean channel isn't really American voiced, it's very nice. They're several hundred cheaper than the Road King, both new and used.

If you want to use your XXX as a power amp, you can pick up a CAA 3+SE preamp.

Well this is helpful, but perhaps my reasoning for each will show why I was considering each

NOTE: I don't personally care whether the anomie British or American voiced, as long as the eq gets a fairly wide range like on the mark v

Axe Fx: I might still need a power amp, but it would have everything except speakers and a power amp if needed, this means effects too, plods I could go for a standard if I wanted even cheaper

Blackstar: I thought that the ISF knob would help with different voices and it had the gain I needed

Quickrod: I know splawn is pretty good and it looked like the more versatile of the splawns

Also, what you think about the modular stuff? Egnater and randall? If I were to get it modded I'd go salvation mods

What about these amps?
Fryette/VHT sig x
Egnater Armageddon
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
I dunno. I just don't feel like the AxeFx is that great of an option for most people.

The ISF knob is just talk. It doesn't actually make it sound British/American voiced. It slightly changes the tonestack operation which gives a slightly different freq response. I thought the one I played was really meh and not worth the price at all.

The Quick Rod is a great amp, don't get me wrong. But 311 (who owns one), will agree with me that the cleans aren't very flexible and are pretty dark. The EQ isn't nearly as powerful as a Mark series, though TBH it doesn't need much flexibility to sound good. It does need a bit of volume though, IMO.

The modular stuff is cool. The Egnater stuff sounds killer right out of the box, the Randall stuff is okay and can be improved if you know the specific sounds you want. Tone shaping isn't that versatile but if you don't like it, you can swap modules.

The Sig:X is really versatile, though I've never actually played one. Like all Fryettes, it's very tight, dry and articulate, which may be a plus or minus. I've heard it's very bright which may or may not be your thing. I think AcousticMirror and AngryGoldfish have played them and could comment further.

AFAIK, the Armageddon isn't out yet.

You may also want to look into the EVH 5150 III. The cleans are killer and it can go all the way up through modern metal with quite a bit of flexibility. It can sound a bit fizzy with the wrong cab and EQ settings though. It's picky and they don't have the best manufacturing consistency.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I think the Armageddon will be worth the wait. I really like the Renegade but it is not a metal amp - at least not modern metal. The cool thing about the Renegade is that you can run EL34s and 6L6s at the same time and set up each channel for american or british tones. With a boost it can do KSE type stuff. It also can take KT88s or whatever else you want to throw at it. Based on what Egnater has done with this, the Tourmaster, the Tweaker and Rebel, my guess is that the Armageddon will be killer. I'm not familiar with the modular stuff. I know Randall licenses the technology from Egnater. I don't know, when I hear people talking about these amps and getting the modules modded etc it just seems like a money pit going that route and people end up wanting the real deal. The person to talk to about this (and the Barons) is Kyledm. He's owned the Randall RM and several Barons.

Baron might be a great way to go I just know very little about them. Clips have been awesome so far.

I own a Quick Rod and can tell you that they are a beast of an amp and have serious serious mids if you are into that. It will cut through a mix like nobody's business. It can get to KSE territory without a boost but really tightens up nicely with a clean boost. Like Matt said, the cleans are kind of lackluster. Marshall cleans I'd say. Also, you can't really dial the mids out if you are into scooped tones. If that is what you wanted more of (not saying you do) tone wise then a Nitro might be more for you. The build quality of the Splawns is amazing and Scott Splawn is very accessible and customer focused. With the Gears, I would agree that the Quick Rod is very flexible and can take KT88s with a resistor mod. The good thing about Quick Rods is that there lots of them out there on the used market and you can find them starting at $1,000. The older ones lack the Gears but also hear they are more toneful.

Speaking of Marshalls you said only 3 of the 4 channels on the 210 were usable. The 210 is a 2 channel amps so maybe you were thinking of the 410. IMO only 1 maybe 2 channels of the 410 are useable. The rest of them and the modes are just different amount of what sound like diode clipping to me. Clean channel is nice though.

Never played a Sig X but I hear it is the bees knees.

I guess I'm just not a Mesa guy. I mean I love listening to the lead tones of the Mesas (like MOP) but as a practical daily amp I just never gelled with them. Except the Electra Dyne (go figure )

Running a AxeFx or CAA into your XXX as a power option is a neat idea too.

Good luck

Edit: Yeah, I agree with you Matt. The Splawns can also be considered dry, articulate and bright. For some reason, probably my tube choices, is that I can get some nice dark and saturated tones out of mine with what I consider some pretty tight chugga chugga stuff.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 17, 2011,
I played a jvm 210, because it had two channels but two modes per channel

I am quite interested in the Armageddon, at least until reviews and demos are available to hear

Spawns were just something I thought I'd look into since their quality is well known

Modular I agree with you completely, just throwing the idea out there

Baron I know I'd like quality wise and as far as base tone goes, but idk how wide of sounds I could get

As of now, the most suitable options to me would be one of the following:

1: axe fx (used in some way)
2: mark v (if I find the lead channels are able to get the variation I'd like)
3: sig x (need to hear more to see if it is really all that)
4: armageddon (here to wait to see if it's as good as we hope)
5: Completely custom amp from CEC or baron or someplace similar (would like to avoid for obvious cost reasons)
6: blackstar series one 200 (if I can play a blackstar something and see it is satisfactory)

Any other options/ideas?

Thanks so far by the way
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
There's actually a place in Central Illinois that sells high end gear?

I must remember this...
I pride myself on my humility.
the modular egnater is definitely out of your budget if a roadking is.

the randall stuff isn't bad and it's dirt cheap too.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Check out Hughes and Kettner! The Switchblade, Trilogy, and Tri amp, all run el34 power tubes that give it that brit amp warmth and tightness, into American style circuits. Also they are crazy versatile and sound awesome.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
If i were you,i would have saved a bit more and bought an axe with power amp
Just throwing this out there, the Brigand might be worth looking into.......... its still in development though. If you have the money I would at least read some of Craigs info about it.

Other than that, the Mark series mesas are notorious for being hard to dial in. It may work great for you if you had more time to spend with it.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
$2400? Used Engl SE, Diezel Herbert (or VH4 if you open your budget a bit, hell... An Einstein would probably be a great choice too), or a Bogner XTC if you want more of a classic Marshally sound.

Just depends on which of those genres you listed is more important. Having a versatile amp is great, but having to cater to that many genres equally, means you're going to have an amp that's a jack of all trades, master of none. Whenever i hear someone mention a bunch of genres, it sounds to me like theyre not experienced enough of a player to know what they want yet, and probably shouldn't be investing that kind of money in gear.

If you truly do play that many genres, equally, and need great tones for all of them, the Axe-FX is really your only choice.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Mar 18, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
$2400? Used Engl SE, Diezel Herbert (or VH4 if you open your budget a bit, hell... An Einstein would probably be a great choice too), or a Bogner XTC if you want more of a classic Marshally sound.

Just depends on which of those genres you listed is more important. Having a versatile amp is great, but having to cater to that many genres equally, means you're going to have an amp that's a jack of all trades, master of none. Whenever i hear someone mention a bunch of genres, it sounds to me like theyre not experienced enough of a player to know what they want yet, and probably shouldn't be investing that kind of money in gear.

If you truly do play that many genres, equally, and need great tones for all of them, the Axe-FX is really your only choice.

true. since all of those genres use amps...and amps can be made to do all sorts of things that other amps can do....

you can add pedals or whatnot on top....

unless you play every genre in one song. in which case **** ya...learn how to program midi and grab an axe.

also british and american voicing still makes no damn sense to me.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer