one of my strings broke. I wasnt playing hard or anything. they are three months old.
did I wait to long to change them? three months doesnt seem very long. waht do you think?
Three months is way too long for strings to live.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
yes, 3 months is quite a long time, i change my strings every 2 months, and i clean them properly and they get pretty bad by 2 months
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Three months between string change is long for me. They start feeling rusty and sounding dull. You can change them whenever, as string breaking isn't a big deal, I myself change them very often though. Therefore, I very seldom break strings.
Dude three months is pretty long. Where exactly did it break ? At the bridge I'm guessing? Maybe one of your saddles has a burr in it like mine does. Anyhow you should definitely change strings after 3 months. I try to change them once a month ^^.
Quote by Roc8995
Kirk Hammett should just build a wah into his goddam shoes.

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
replace them more often, Einstein
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
I change them once a year as i don't play in a band or anything, and setting up intonation is a pain in the ass
i change them when i feel i need to : /

thats usually around 3 - 6 weeks.
I Am Hated
7 String Legion

Ibanez RG1527 prestige (BKP Aftermath)
Ibanez MTM2 black (rockmonkey SoB)
Ibanez MTM2 white (Blackout AHB-3)
Squier "custom" strat (Hot Slag)
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w 112
Pitchblack
TS-9
NS-2
MXR 10 band eq
Quote by Silent Murder
I change strings once every year.

Although, I'm not picky about my tone.

Quote by thomasamagne
I change them once a year as i don't play in a band or anything, and setting up intonation is a pain in the ass

I change the strings on my guitars once a year.

I'm picky about my tone and i have band practice at least once a week, plus the ocasional gig every now and then.

D'Addarios are amazing. They feel fresh and sound great even after months of use.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
strings do seem to be more likely to break the older they get.

But i mean depending on your climate and the chemical makeup of your sweat, 3 months is fine. If they still feel and sound fine after 3 months, there's no need to change them. Some players prefer the tone of older strings.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i already have strings on order and its no problem to change them. I was just wondering if I waited to long and I got my answer. Ill know not to wait so long now. thanks all.
Last edited by craig_chapman at Mar 17, 2011,
I haven't changed strings (except high E, which has broken two times) in all the time I've been playing, and that's like two and a half years.
I have no sig
I never understand how people can go through strings so fast, to the people who change strings every week, how often do you play?
I change strings when ever I feel like it. Maybe every 2 months or so. Sometimes longer sometimes less.

I usually don't change them until they start to not stay in tune anymore, which for EB Regular Slinkys is like 12/14 weeks.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
i leave my strings on until they start to develop intonation problems. old strings tend to screw up the intonation and make it seem flat. some dumbass guitar techs even set the intonation on guitars with old worn out strings on, by moving all the saddles as far inwards towards the neck as possible.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
changing strings once a year? that's like wearing the same underwear for a month
Quote by fergus74
changing strings once a year? that's like wearing the same underwear for a month

i guess my logic is like changing underwear when it starts to smell... yep, sounds about right
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by zincabopataurio
I never understand how people can go through strings so fast, to the people who change strings every week, how often do you play?

+1

i mean my own reasoning is that i absolutely loathe changing strings because I'm terrible at it, but also if it takes me half an hour or an hour to change strings, that's half an hour or an hour I could be playing.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by fergus74

I'm not sure whether I should ask what the hell you do with your strings, or what they hell you do with your underwear o_O
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I usually average anywhere between 10-30 hours of playing a week, mainly on one guitar. Sometimes I change strings out every week. sometimes they last me a few weeks. I play them until they start feeling and sounding crappy. Ernie Ball strings seem to wear the fastest for me.

There's no rule as to how often you need to change them. Play them until you don't like the sound or feel, or they break. If old, rusty, crud caked strings don't bother you, then leave them on for a year. Different climates, playing styles, pick attack, sweatiness of hands, dryness of skin, and countless other factors will affect how long your strings last.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by obeythepenguin
Guitar strings are cheap anyway -- it's not like they're bass strings at $40 a pop.

Amen to that.

My bass has had the same strings on it for thirty years. Those strings are older than I am!
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I change mine when they i start to see them discolouring
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
Quote by jpatan

There's no rule as to how often you need to change them. Play them until you don't like the sound or feel, or they break. If old, rusty, crud caked strings don't bother you, then leave them on for a year. Different climates, playing styles, pick attack, sweatiness of hands, dryness of skin, and countless other factors will affect how long your strings last.

exactly
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I change mine about twice a year on all of the 4 guitars I'm using. When you notice that the strings won't stay in tune, intonation problems and bad tone - you change them, it is as simple as that. I play quite hard and do a lot of bends - on extra light gauge of strings; but I rarely break a string. Not much hand-sweat to mention.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I dont change strings that much but when they start sounding dead to me is generally when i'll change them which usually depends on how often the guitar is played. If i break a string the whole set will be changed. Also i dont change strings all that often since i have so many guitars and most of them have double locking trems so i only really do it when i really start to notice ahaha.
I do have more guitars then some of the people on here that change them regulary and i also dont play as much as i should so yay

I also personally do not like the completely bright sound you get as soon as you change the strings. A day or two of breaking in is when it starts sounding sweet to me...
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Mar 18, 2011,