Hey guys total noob here

Is there such thing as a guitar being to good for a certain amp?

I have a schecter damien 6 and i play through a peavey vypyr 30....I don't know why it doesn't sound good when i kick it in distortion.

EX) when i play crazy train(no palm muting at all), that beginning riff sounds all messy.

if you hit 2 notes you get extra sounds between them(like the delay and reverb is max, which is not btw) Just want to make sure it's normal, and what suggestions do you guys have?
Bad amps sound cheap.
Bad guitars sound cheap.
Your setup will only sound as good as the weakest link.

Try your guitar in another amp at some point with better specs. If it sounds better, it's probably your amp. If it sounds the same, it's your probably guitar.

You really need to post a sound clip and it'll help everyone decide what the weak link is. I don't fully understand what you meant, so sorry to not be too much help ):
yh, the thing with bad amps is that they can make even the best of guitars sound shit
also, the right settings wont cover up bad technique... (just a thought cause you say "total noob")
---
Turn the gain down. Metal doesn't require as much gain as you may think it does.

Best thing to do is post a sound clip and/or snapshot of your exact settings on your amp as that will help us determine what your problem is.
There's a number of things here.

1) Make sure your technique is good.
2) Make sure you're not using too much gain. More gain = more harmonics = more 'noise'.
3) Make sure your settings are appropriate for the song.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Robfreitag
also, the right settings wont cover up bad technique... (just a thought cause you say "total noob")

oh ya for sure..i know that...but im talking like basic stuff.

D--------7-----7-----7-----------------------
A--55-----55----55--------------------------

play this (fast), with distortion with out muting anything...tell me if you get extra noise between the notes. (like as if the bass "D" note was being hit while you hit the "A" note)
I blame the lack palm muting. Try it again, the peavey isn't that bad and if it still sucks try difrent settings.
I get this with my Little Fender 15 watt..........I have a Warlock, B.C.Rich.......And i cant get anything to sound decent, dont even mention palm muting.......
I have moderately bad gear as well but I can get a awesome tone out of it. Turn down the gain a bit and play with the settings ALOT, the vyper 30 has so many different amps and settings to play that I know its not the amp or guitar because they're both good enough to get a really amazing tone out of. It's either you arent good or you just havent given enough time to play with your amp. its really all about slaving over all those settings on the amp, my 15 peavy and guitar sounds better then my rhythm guitarist who has a 60 watt with tubes even when the tubes are all warmed out and mine is a solid state

yeah the above was a bit over redundant but anyway just play with your settings more the peavey has a tone for everyone

EDIT: I didn't bring up the guitar at all because I know from experience that the damiens are quality guitars and are worth your buck as are most schecters
Gear
- Synyster Schecter Standard
- Peavey Vyper 15

I'm currently using Cubase 5 for any recording purposes.
Last edited by !Mike! at May 26, 2011,
Quote by edi7
oh ya for sure..i know that...but im talking like basic stuff.

D--------7-----7-----7-----------------------
A--55-----55----55--------------------------

play this (fast), with distortion with out muting anything...tell me if you get extra noise between the notes. (like as if the bass "D" note was being hit while you hit the "A" note)

Just a question, but if you're not palm muting that, are you lifting your finger off the frets when you change notes?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by edi7
Hey guys total noob here

Is there such thing as a guitar being to good for a certain amp?

I have a schecter damien 6 and i play through a peavey vypyr 30....I don't know why it doesn't sound good when i kick it in distortion.

Your kit is fine. It's at least one if not two notches above the standard mass produced starter kits on the market.

Quote by edi7

EX) when i play crazy train(no palm muting at all), that beginning riff sounds all messy.

if you hit 2 notes you get extra sounds between them(like the delay and reverb is max, which is not btw) Just want to make sure it's normal, and what suggestions do you guys have?

Worry more about technique that your gear. Crazy train is all about being precise if you play it sloppy it'll sound like mud...

EDIT

Quote by Raijouta
There's a number of things here.

1) Make sure your technique is good.
2) Make sure you're not using too much gain. More gain = more harmonics = more 'noise'.
3) Make sure your settings are appropriate for the song.

+1

Crazy train and 80s metal in general don't take near as much gain as many noobs think.

Still Fly from The Devil Wears Prada and meetalcore in general are a far heavier tone.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at May 26, 2011,