Ok, so i thought this would fit in here since it was about pickups. so here goes.

im in 8th and doing a report on the history of the electric guitar for a research project.
i found that the first electric guitar was the Rickenbacker Frying Pan (using a rickenbacker horsehoe magnet i think) designed by George Beauchamp. But what i wanna find out is who invented/created the first magnetic pickup. and while im asking, i think ill ask who invented the humbucker?
i was hoping someone on here would know created the first magnetic pickup. cuz i cant find it on the internet.

help me out if ya can!
The humbucker was definitely invented by Seth Lover in '59 (or at least that was the first model year, since every vintage pickup is supposed to be a '59 model). As far as the first magnetic pickup, I'm not sure, but I'd guess Rickenbacker had something to do with it.

Good luck
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
i thought there was some debate as to whether it was seth lover with the PAF or gretsch (i forget the guy's name, he was pretty famous too ) with the filtertron who invented the first successful guitar humbucker.

But according to wiki, it was invented much earlier than either of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbucker#History
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The humbucker was definitely invented by Seth Lover in '59

Nope, wrong I'm afraid. The Humbucker was actually invented by Raymond J. Butts (Well he was awarded the patent first), who later worked for Gretsch.
so are you EDIT: well assuming wiki is correct, which is probably a pretty big assumption
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 17, 2011,
If you want something better documented history in the same field check out the invention of the microphone - specifically the condenser mic invented in 1916 at Bell labs. Copies of the original patent can be found floating on the interwebs
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more