explosions? nothing? wait you're talking about the box right?

don't worry the cardboard box can hold any tube.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
that's the kind of thing where i'd say, if you have to ask, don't do it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
the tone will be horrible. try light bulbs instead. very bright.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by AcousticMirror
explosions? nothing? wait you're talking about the box right?

don't worry the cardboard box can hold any tube.

i guess i should have been more specific. i mean switching the 6L6 tubes for el34s in my amp.
Quote by Kortez3000
Depends if your amp can handle different tubes, not all can.

no, its just a 6L6 amp. i was just wondering what would happen if i put in the el34
Quote by Blompcube
that's the kind of thing where i'd say, if you have to ask, don't do it.

+1

Unless your amp is designed to take both 6L6 and EL34 (and very few are) that is the more difficult direction to go. It takes more than just a simple rebiasing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by sethp
no, its just a 6L6 amp. i was just wondering what would happen if i put in the el34

Blown tubes and a waste of cash
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Cathbard
+1

Unless your amp is designed to take both 6L6 and EL34 (and very few are) that is the more difficult direction to go. It takes more than just a simple rebiasing.

+2

You can't ask a question like that and not even supply us with what amp it is. I know it is hard, but you'll have to be more specific that 'it's a 6L6 amp'
Take it to a tech and have them do it for you, unless your amp is auto-biasing or has an EL34/6l6 switch on it. It's best to read the manual before you do anything.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+2

You can't ask a question like that and not even supply us with what amp it is. I know it is hard, but you'll have to be more specific that 'it's a 6L6 amp'

mesa 50 caliber +
Iirc the 50 cal doesn't have a 6L6/EL34 switch on the back (correct me if I'm wrong) which means you would have to change the screen resistor, connect up the suppressor grid and install a bias pot. Not a job for beginners. As well as that, EL34's draw more heater current so you may very well blow the power transformer even if you did do these mods.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 17, 2011,
Edit ^ what Cath and fly said

It looks like the 50 cal is fixed bias based on my quick research so you would probably need a bias trim pot installed. Taking it to a tech is your best idea. I would also poke around on the boogie boards. This is a good start too:

http://www.guitargeek.com/chat/amplifiers-9/el34s-mesa-30365/
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=mesa+50+cal+EL34&cp=16&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=mesa+50+cal+EL34&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=ca8cfe5d59ff26b
http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-n.htm
EDIT: By pretty sure, i meant total guess on THD's Yellow Jackets. Which, after further reading, is not what your looking for.
Last edited by nickdohle at Mar 17, 2011,
yea, EL34s need an extra wire between pin 1 and 8. 6L6GC amps would've ignored this wire since it's internally connected.

also, EL34s require a bigger screen resistor. 6L6GCs often use 100R, EL34 you want 470R ~ 1k because the screen current is much bigger than in 6L6GCs.

lastly EL34s require a lot more beef in the heater supply. i believe 6L6GCs pull 0.9A per tube, EL34s pull 1.5A... so if you have a quad, 6A - 3.6A, a quad of EL34s require 2.4A more than what a quad of 6L6GCs require.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
If it isn't broken, don't fix it.
That's my advice to you.

Why do you want to put EL34's in your amp?
Any particular reason or is this because you want a change for no real reason?
..I was watching my death.