After waiting for several weeks, my order from China has finally arrived. I am now the proud owner of an Erhu. The Erhu is a chinese 2 stringed fiddle that dates back thousands of years. I've really wanted to play it for a while now so I'm very excited to start learning. After messing around with it for 45 minutes or so I managed to finally get it in tune and play (horribly) twinkle twinkle little star. There are no frets, or even a fingerboard. You just press on the strings and bow it to make it sound. Hopefully I'll be able to play it decently in a couple months

And without further adieu...here it is:

And for those curious what it sounds like, here you go!

Does anyone else play any obscure or uncommon instruments?
Check out my band Disturbed
Reminds me of Hero.

Very cool

*almost miss fassa bullshitting about playing billions of pointless instruments.*

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by SlayingDragons
Oh, so that's what makes those bad-ass sounds? I always thought it was a type of woodwind.

Do want.

Yeah, for the longest time I thought it was some sort of wind instrument, too. It just has a very sweet, soothing sound that you wouldn't expect based on how it looks.

The tuning pegs are extremely sensitive on this thing. One very slight twist can knock it 2 steps out of tune. It's ridiculous.
Last edited by StewieSwan at Mar 17, 2011,
Quote by SlayingDragons
Oh, so that's what makes those bad-ass sounds? I always thought it was a type of woodwind.

Do want.

Me too.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
I have always wanted to play the bagpipes. More likely though is the ukulele, or the mandolin.

The other cool one is the japanese (maybe chinese) sitting down string intrument (the play it in hero). I dont know what its called though...
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by shikkaka
I have always wanted to play the bagpipes. More likely though is the ukulele, or the mandolin.

The other cool one is the japanese (maybe chinese) sitting down string intrument (the play it in hero). I dont know what its called though...

Both japan and china have large stringed instruments you sit down to play. You are most likely thinking of the Koto (Japanese version.) The chinese version is called a Guzheng.
Quote by Tom 1.0

*almost miss fassa bullshitting about playing billions of pointless instruments.*

sounds nice, i have a sitar but thats not really uncommon.
now extra flamey
Quote by Tom 1.0
Reminds me of Hero.

Oh yeah she can also speak every language... ever ...
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
That's pretty sick. It'd be the coolest thing to be able to play one of these proficiently.

It'd earn you a new level of getting to be stuck up about music
Quote by StewieSwan
Both japan and china have large stringed instruments you sit down to play. You are most likely thinking of the Koto (Japanese version.) The chinese version is called a Guzheng.

sweet! ebay here I come!
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Nice!
I've heard some recordings of Erhus (I think they were Erhus in the songs. idk) and they sound cool.

Also, not exactly obscure, but I'll be starting sitar lessons sometime soon
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Last edited by mcjosh at Mar 17, 2011,
The instrument that makes that sound looks like that? I was imagining an oboe-type thing. Either way, great acquisition, man. I hope you dazzle us with your skills in the future.

My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
an instrument i saw a man playing the otherday that sounded beautiful was a strung dulcimer amazing sound!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
哇!!!我很喜欢你新的二胡!我要一个!
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
i've always wanted to learn erhu (among many, many other instruments). you lucky duck... er... swan.

HNED!

also, this is relevant, though it is a kokyū, which is a close cousin of the erhu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV2b-_a8Pto
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Mar 17, 2011,
Quote by Snowman388
哇!!!我很喜欢你新的二胡!我要一个!

Google translate is awesome, yes.
LOVE ANTHONY GREEN?
Quote by sneyob
I am slightly disappointed =w=eeze took me out of his sig.

But that's okay.

^Consolation Sig
That is a beautiful instrument. I myself have been considering getting one for a while, now. If I do learn another instrument, it'll be something outside of classical anyways.

Let us know how difficult it is to learn it in the next few months.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Dude.

Videos.

NOW.

All I can play is twinkle twinkle little start and a D major scale. Perhaps I'll post a video in a year or so
damn you TS

that instrument makes me crave Shenmue II

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by StewieSwan

I want a Koto something fierce. Thing looks and sounds badass.
Shit. That's badass.

How much did it cost and where did you get it from? I have a mandolin and a ukulele, which are only partially obscure, if that.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
Shit. That's badass.

How much did it cost and where did you get it from? I have a mandolin and a ukulele, which are only partially obscure, if that.

With shipping it was around 400 USD. I had to import it from Singapore.
I would love to learn how to play a Chinese Zither/Guzheng:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m19ExsVkdM4

Or for something a bit more traditional:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtATge0LG2w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7LJj7pFKAM&feature=related

But for now, I'm considering the harmonica.

That Erhu will be amazing!

Quote by Erik_Aero
While my erhu gently weeps

Lol.
Oh flange.
Last edited by ChristophskiSav at Mar 17, 2011,
I play the steel guitar, and some mandolin. nothing too exotic.
I'd like to take up the concertina, though. damn things are expensive.
Also interested in the banjo.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne