Page 1 of 2
Hey,

I have always liked the looks of Fenders and I also really like the feel of them, even though I have only ever played them the wrong way as I am a lefty.

I do play blues, however I mostly play metal and I was wondering if a Fender could be set up to play Lamb of God, Gojira and Cannibal Corpse kind of music.

I have read in other threads that it is better to just get a Jackson or ESP, but I own an Ibanez and I just really prefer the feel of a Fender.

So other than pickups, would it be necessary to change other aspects of the guitar such as the neck?

Thanks.
I guess that it would be smart to maybe get a lefty strat, so that you can get the higher fret access. But, Jim Root plays a tele, so they're not incapable of doing metal. It's really all dependent on what you're comfortable with.
I'm FAT!
It's preference. Someone might like everything about the fender for metal. Personally, I'd change the pickups, neck, body, tuning pegs, fretmarkers and plectrum.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Heavier strings might help, thicker picks help. An HH strat with EMGs or DiMarzios should do you well.
Humbucker in the bridge position and you should be good to go! Metal, no problem.
The Strat shape is oh so comfortable to sit down and play for hours, looks cool, a classic and neck shape feels pretty fast too.
I have an old Yamaha which is a Strat shape copy, with the usual 3 single coil pickup setup, no humbuckers, and it sounds decent through a good distortion pedal. Definitely not a modern metal beast, but a unique aggressive sound when played through the right gear.
Thanks for replies.

So if I get a Strat, what mods would make it better for metal? Because it obviously wouldn't be perfect straight out of the shop.
Cheers for listening to Gojira

You could scallop the neck and go for an Yngwie Malmsteen style of tone, but other than that, the neck shouldn't be a problem. Fenders are really well made guitars, you could make do with what ever you have. But you should probably get yourself a good set of EMG's to get that metal tone. I suggest getting a pair of 81's and 89's, leaving your toggle switch in the middle and try this amp setting...

Bass about 7
Mid about 5
Treble about 7

This will give you a semi scooped tone, but not enough to make it sound like crap. If you want a Gojira, Lamb of God style tone, try those settings

If you are going through a pedal such as a Line 6 POD XT or Digitech RPhowevermanynumbersthey'reuptonow you should set it to a good thrashy setting, like the XT's Master of Puppets or the RP's SANDMAN. On top of this, turn your amp to these settings

Bass about 7
Mid about 4
Treble about 2

This will give you a Brendon Smalls (Dethklok) style tone.

If you want a Cannibal Corpse type tone, get a fuzzy sounding amp, crank the gain and bass, and sound like crap. <- sorry about that, I love Cannibal Corpse, but whoever mixes their music should be shot, he's doin' it wrong, kimosabi.

Hope this helps!
I believe the guys from Iron Maiden play strats don't they?I would think that a pickup change along with maybe some locking tuners.Have fun,play what you like with what you like.
I have a 6505+... I was thinking about maybe putting in a JB 4 or a SD 59 in the bridge, would this be a good idea?
I play my American standard (with a single coil in the bridge) and can get fairly heavy tones out of it, most definitely lamb of god. Its just a matter of Eq'ing

Guitars:
Fender American Standard Strat 2009 Limited Edition
Ibanez Gak30

Amps
Jcm 800 2203 '82

Pedals:
John bull jr overdrive
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Boss TU-3
Boss CH1

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/hereliesnuggetband
You could use a decent distortion pedal with no adjustments to the guitar what so ever, but I'm not a fan of pedals, especially the blues player in me. It's best to just buy a good Marshall Amp and play with the tone until you find one you like. Don't waste your money on a whole bunch of modifications that will do you no good if you ever need to play something outside of metal
Jim root Tele/Stratocaster, need i say more?
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Yes, John5 too, he plays a tele. It's definitely possible, a hum in the bridge would work wonders, and it will be twangier than a LP, but it's doable by any means.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Ywgwie Malsteem plays a strat that's 100% stock except for the scalloped neck. My view is that you can play whatever on whatever, your only issue I could forsee is noise from the singles.

No he doesn't. Yngwie uses mostly vintage strats with their fingerboards scalloped, jumbo frets, hum-cancelling dimarzio pickups (HS-3 in the bridge, and YJM in the neck).
You can play anything on anything, question is if you'll like the inherent tone and feel.

The Fender Stratocaster is less popular in metal simply because of what it is--it's a 22 fret guitar with pretty lame upper fret access, a medium sized neck, a small fretboard radius, and a vintage trem. Strats are usually built like their vintage ancestors, and most people can't see past that and inevitably opt for an Ibanez or an ESP or some other 24-fret, Floyd-Rose-and-EMG-equipped pointy metal shredtacular guitar.

That said, it's doable and it can be great. Listen to some of the modern output Single Coils on the BKP website. Strats (with SCs in the bridge, at that) can still be heavy as shit.
Quote by MonkeyLink07
Yes, John5 too, he plays a tele. It's definitely possible, a hum in the bridge would work wonders, and it will be twangier than a LP, but it's doable by any means.

I was gonna say that...you bastard.
Yep, a pickup swap to something a bit more beefy like a set of EMGs or high output passives should do nicely. Hell, some people don't even bother with that...
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I have a basic Affinity Tele.

Put a Guitarheads dual rail mini bucker in the bridge, put on Grover tuners, put on a set of baritone Ernie Ball string(did nut work obviously) and have it down tuned to F. It plays great and sounds pretty good considering it's using a minibucker. I've also added a "tighten" knob to help clean up the low frequencies that muddy up the sound in low tunings.

I love it.
Gojira recorded there last album with Strats ^^ and yeah Iron Maiden play with Strats
Gibson Les Paul Std HB
Fender MIM telecaster MW
Epiphone ZW Les Paul
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
MXR ZW-44
Dunlop Crybaby
Line 6 Relay G30

www.myspace.com/arovidia

Quote by Will Swanson
Pull your scrotum out, and smear it over your walls.
Quote by Vendetta V
I'm thinking of putting a Dimarzio fast track 2 in bridge and a Chopper in neck.. you guys think it's a nice idea for shred and metal tones?

Yes they look like pretty nice pickups.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Mr.Feather
It's preference. Someone might like everything about the fender for metal. Personally, I'd change the pickups, neck, body, tuning pegs, fretmarkers and plectrum.

Hey! You sigged me once, now I think it´s time I sig you!
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Quote by Speckled_Hen
*cough* Iron Maiden *cough*

Iron Maiden is hardly the same as modern metal is now.

All you really need to do is swap out the pickups for something with more output and bass, cause the stock coils are very twangy, and you prolly wont like that in metal.
OP, you can use or do what ever you want... heck Jim Root one of the guitarists for Slipknot plays a modded Fender Telecaster.

As for what mods to do if you do get that Strat that's up to you and your prefrences. You could scalap the neck but that's a bit extreme and there is no going back, you could get a compound radius neck. You can put a Foyd Rose bridge in it, you can block the stock bridge, you can put a hard-tail on it. There are thousands of diffrent pick-ups and pick up combinations you can put in it. The list of modds are endless.

I know mixing a SD Hot-Rail "mini-bucker", Fender Hot-Noiseless Single Coils "Jeff Beck Signature's" and a 25db Clapton Mid Boost isnt exactly a popular mod you'll hear people recommend. But it combined everything I wanted in my guitar so I did it. I love the blues and the Hot Noiseless are killer for that, and then I can get as nasty as I want by switching to the Hot-Rail and cranking the mid-boost. It's really up to you to find what you want.

Because if you ask 10 diffrent people on here your going to get 10 diffrent answers everytime!!!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by JD Close
You could use a decent distortion pedal with no adjustments to the guitar what so ever, but I'm not a fan of pedals, especially the blues player in me. It's best to just buy a good Marshall Amp and play with the tone until you find one you like. Don't waste your money on a whole bunch of modifications that will do you no good if you ever need to play something outside of metal

Using a good quality humbucker like a Duncan JB in the bridge will produce a good metal tone for the heaviest of sounding bands. You might this is a big might use a booster or EQ to thicken the sound.

Heavier and picks and strings just as bunch of people mentioned are part of getting that tone

The answer to all tone issues isn't get a different amp!

Take a good look at what those metal guys are playing guitar wise

Sometimes getting a new guitar or modding the guitar you already have is the
answer.

Quote by eddiehimself
Yep, a pickup swap to something a bit more beefy like a set of EMGs or high output passives should do nicely. Hell, some people don't even bother with that...

All the people recommending EMGs might be missing the mark? IMHO using a high output passive in the bridge and leaving the stock middle and neck pickups stock would be preserve more of the original strat tone...

A Fat Strat HSS would be a good choice. A Wilkinson bridge and locking tuners stays in tune almost as well as a Floyd...
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Mar 18, 2011,
Fenders can be used for metal without a doubt.
Other people might disagree, but I find that low output single coils actually retain more clarity through a high gain amp, than high output humbuckers would. Yes you may end up with hum, but you can get hum cancelling singles, such as the Fender Noiseless series which are a single coil with a dummy coil, so they sound more like a single coil than a stacked 'bucker would.
There are plenty of people who play with lots of gain with single coils come to think of it, such as Eric Johnson, Yngwie, Jeff Beck, I think Kirk Hammett used a Strat on some eraly tunes too, but I may be wrong on that.
Last edited by TrueBlues at Mar 19, 2011,
Good single coils will give you much better clarity than even very clear humbuckers will.
BPSSC (basically a dummy coil built into a trem cavity cover) that will get rid of all the hum.
With the right amp, you can get great metal tones from a Strat or Tele.
I've done allsorts of music with my Strats, from clean as a whistle rockabilly straight through to Enter Sandman. I mostly play blues/funk/jazz though. I find a Strat with singles to be the most versatile guitar. I've got a LP classic too, but that has fairly high output pups, currently saving for some nice low output 'buckers for it.
I already have 50% of my next guitar figured out. Just can't decide on a Strat or Tele shape.

But - it'll be a Warmoth (which is owned by Fender I believe) tele/strat w/ a mahogany body, emg or SD humbuckers 2x volume knobs, no tone, and white on white with a maple neck. Similar to a Jim Root sig, but about 600-700 cheaper, with a custom neck profile that I like.
Playing technique is also important. If John Petrucci can record amazing tones on Images and Words on a poor man's budget and still sound better than James Hetfield on Death Magnetic with a billion dollar budget then there's more to it than just gear.
I actually play a strat to cover some of those bands you mentioned, and honestly, it is ****ing great. All I would suggest is possibly get a the ds-1 distortion pedal, really easy way to make it sound better.
Page 1 of 2