Hey,

I was wanting to experiment with looping, delaying and distorting my vocals live, and bought some "Gender bender" connectors to allow me to turn the mic cables from XLR into jack and back, and ran my Boss DD-7 and OS-2 in between the mic and the mixing desk/PA.

All I got was a bang like the PA was being unplugged, and no sound. When I unplugged the pedals it worked fine, but plugged in I got nothing.

Weirder still, Boss pedals will only work with an input connected, and when fully plugged in it wouldn't work, but with the cable just sitting in the connection/practically hanging out, it lit up but still no sound.

Do you think it's a problem with the connector? The pedal? Is it because I'm running a balanced mic/cable through effects designed for unbalanced inputs (I'll admit I don't actually know the difference, but my MTR runs the mics through as "balanced" and guitars through jacks as "unbalanced").

I know that was a bit of a wall of text and I've not really clarified it well, so please ask questions if you need something cleared up. Greatly appreciated any help.

Cheers.
Probably a combination of the TRS balanced connectors and perhaps an impedance issue. Check the impedance of your mic and see what pedals are designed for.

If you have some regular mic cables, try those first.

Edit: Also be careful with phantom power and your pedals. If you run 48v into a pedal input, I'd expect smoke.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Mar 17, 2011,
Are you then converting from phono to XLR to go to an XLR input on the desk? If so, bad idea.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
First it's just a normal SM58, so no phantom power.

And...I'll admit, I'm terrible with cable names, but it's 2 normal mic to mixing desk cables, with connectors on either end to go into each side of the pedal chain, if that makes sense?

So one XLR to jack, and one...whatever the other end is to jack.
Yes but what are you doing from the pedal to desk side of things?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The opposite, if that makes sense? So the side that would be coming out the mic is turned into a jack, and then ran into the desk. Would that **** it up? Impedence issues etc?

I'll admit I'm totally new to this, was just an experiment and had seen people online saying it should work so I thought I'd try.
It's your cabling. I just plugged my SM57 into the input of my pedalboard and it sounds fine. I used an XLR female to a 2-conductor 1/4" male. Replace your cable(s) and you'll be fine.
I didn't follow that. What sort of plug are you plugging into the desk? Phono or XLR?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ah right sorry, didn't realise that's what you were asking.

XLR. It'd be two cables like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-Male-Cable-Microphone-cable/dp/B001KM0VOW/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1300404007&sr=1-1

But with a jack connector on the male on one cable, and the female on the other.
Here's what I am guessing is happening. The difference between balanced and unbalanced is that one side of an unbalanced cable is grounded. You are grounding one side of the XLR at the desk via the pedal. I suspect you are grounding the hot side of the XLR and shunting all the signal to ground.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Any way to get round it?

Sorry for the vagueness, all my gear is at the practice space where we were trying this, I'll try and get some photos/specifications etc tomorrow.
Yes. Do the same thing I just did. Use an XLR cable to connect to your desk and a 1/4" 2-conductor to connect to your pedal. They make cables like that - XLR on one end and regular 1/4" on the other. It works fine.
Surely the connector should be doing the job of the connector though? I've seen those cables (in fact I have one myself somewhere), but it seemed cheaper and easier to attach these "Gender bender" connectors and save using a seperate cable?
Test that pins 2 and 3 aren't transposed. Pin 2 should be connected to the tip of the phono.
Or if you have a phono input on the desk, use it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by KG6_Steven
Here's exactly what you want. This is a really cheap one, but the photo is good.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Horizon-HZ-Series-Cable-Female-XLR-to-Male-14?sku=336121

And to run out the other end into the desk, just the opposite?
For the microphone, use the cable you're already using. The XLR to XLR is fine. As I understand it, you're using MIC--XLR--XLR--Desk - this is fine. I'm assuming your desk has an XLR output, so use the type of cable I posted the link to go from the desk to the pedal. As Cathbard explained, what's happening is your XLR cable is being grounded in the Boss pedal. On an XLR cable with a balanced signal, two of the lines carry signal, while the third one is a ground. Hence, this is why we call it balanced. Your Boss pedal isn't designed for balanced cables, so one of the signal leads is being grounded, resulting in your problem. Use the cable I showed earlier and you'll be fine.
The pedals are going between the two XLRs, so surely I need a connector on both?

I'll get photos tomorrow, or at least correct specifications haha, and post back then.
you've had a lot of help in this thread, but i had an idea i thought id let you know about.

try buying a cable that plugs into your mic, but has a 1/4 on the other end. plug that into the pedals, then have a patch cable running from your last pedal to a d.i. box. then have an xlr cable hooked up to the d.i. into the mixer. i'm almost 100% sure that'd work fine
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
are you using an XLR to stereo 1/4" plug? you need mono for guitar effect pedals to work wouldn't you?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I think there's a lot of confusion in this thread.

I think what OP is doing is this:
SM58 > FemaleXLR-male1/4 > Pedals > M1/4-MXLR > Board

I think what some people are picturing is this:
SM58 > XLR > Board and then setting up an effects loop on another channel, sending the vox out, through the pedals, and back in.

Also suggested is the same was what OP is doing except putting a DI between the pedals and the board.

I'm not surprised that what OP is doing doesn't work. IMO, you want to be setting up the effects on a separate channel, as suggested. I also think you'll run into the same problem you're having now if you don't put a DI between the pedals and the board. I'm not 100% sure that would work, but I can't see why it wouldn't. And if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will come along and explain why...