SET UP:
Epiphone LP Standard w/ Stock Pickups
Line 6 Spider 4 15w
Digitech rp355

RANDOM INFO:
Genre: Rock, Blues, Metal
Budget: 750$ (850$, but my preferance is 750$)
City: Louisville KY
Future Interest: Roland GR-55 Synthesizer, A good amp, a nice set of pickups that will play Rock/Metal/Blues, Better Guitar

which would be better for small gigs, and my genres that i enjoy

also, if you can...tell me what the best type of metal/rock pickups i can buy to put in my Les Paul, i would love to have a Randy Rhoades type sound

THANKS
You could get a Jet City 50W combo for $800, or the head+2x12 cab for $820 I believe it is. They are coming out with a new 50W combo soonish though if you want to wait for that.
Crate blue voodoo
Used peavey valve king
I've seen a peavey 3120 dip as low as 550 so look for that
As well

As always craigslist is your friend
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
6505+ or 5150 combo and use the left over money to buy some better pickups
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

I love this amp, but it seems he needs a bit more versatility than that.

I absolutely love my Peavey Ultra. It's insanely versatile and I've grown to like the high gain almost more than my 6505. The 6505 is just so... overused. I like the Ultra better because it's a different tone than a Dual Rectifier or 6505 and it's really really versatile.
The Peavey Ultra is from the early 90's I believe. Then they made the Ultra Plus which is basically the same amp with a couple more controls. Then they stopped making both of those and started making the XXX which was pretty much the same thing. Then there's the JSX which is basically a XXX made to Joe Satriani's taste so it's a little bit different. Now they make the 3120 which is basically a XXX with EL34's instead of 6L6's.

So basically... Ultra=Ultra Plus=XXX=JSX=3120. They all are very similar amps, soundwise and layout wise with some small differences.

So, my recommendation is one of those. They can all be had pretty cheap. I got my Ultra 120 for $260 and it sounds like a $1500 amp.

EDIT: IIRC, the JSX also has EL34's.
Last edited by Levi79 at Mar 18, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw

The only problem with that is he included blues, which means he is probably gonna want better cleans than a 6505 will give him.

I recommend the Jet City or a Blackstar HT-40. You might find a used Egnater Renegade that cheap, which would be your best option by far.
Quote by Blktiger0
The only problem with that is he included blues, which means he is probably gonna want better cleans than a 6505 will give him.

If you can't get passable cleans out of a 6505+, you're doing something wrong. Most blues is somewhat dirty anyway, or relies on a sound, with the tone rolled down a bit. At that point, you don't really even need to have the greatest cleans, the guitar will smooth it out for you.

It really depends on which one is more important to him though. The original 5150 was build for Van Halen, and was meant to be a rock amp, and since he's looking for "best rock/metal pickups" as well as his name being B.C. RICH5000, I assumed that a blues tone is of less importance to him, and that a heavier sound is a higher priority. Buying a full blown blues amp to play mostly rock and metal is a dumb idea.

The Ultra/Ultra Plus suggestion was a good one though, leaves him with plenty of money left over. Just IMO, the 5150/6505 series does metal better (having owned an Ultra before), the Ultra is more versatile though, and significantly cheaper.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Mar 18, 2011,
lol, i made this accound 2 years ago, which was before i bought my Les Paul :P

but IF i had to choose, i would indeed have more of a metal/rock sound over a blues, although i do enjoy playing blues
i listened to a review of the Peavey 6505+ and it sounds awesome, it sounds like it could play what i wanted it to, but is it a tube or a solid state (just asking, its not going to sway my opinion if its either or)
6505 Combo plus some preamp pedal check out preamp pedals by amt electronics
k, will do...currently i have a Digitech rp355...its not TOO bad, but it has a really....digital? sound

but i will definitly look into those preamp pedals
No no no no no no nooooooooooooooooo its digital i loved the amt electronics 'egend series r-1(rectifier preamp) these things sound a hell lot better compared to digital modelers