I've seen a few guitars that have 36 frets. A full three octaves. Mainly, things like the GKG turbulence.

I've been wondering if there's any practical use for 36 frets on a guitar, and if anyone actually plays these things and uses the whole fretboard.

Post a link of any vids with people using one, I'd like to see one in action. Another curiosity thread, haha.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
I own 4 GKG's, 2 of which with 36 frets. Played "normally", I can incorporate frets up to the 31st in my playing. The rest are tappable or used in appointments here and there, but not practical in any way for regular phrasing. It's worth mentioning that sustain is quite short above the 29th fret, so you don't really tend to use that with a clean tone - too mandolin-like, basically.
Quote by theogonia777
this comes to mind

Ulrich mother****ing Roth FTW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8KEBBRCJxA

Dont you mean Uli Jon?
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
How cold would a 36 fret guitar sound with average output pickups?
Quote by theogonia777
this comes to mind

Ulrich mother****ing Roth FTW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8KEBBRCJxA

That....was the worst thing I have ever heard, my ears bleed from the horrible tone, and the horrible tuning.

I've seen some basses with 36 frets, and those you can actually use, on a guitar it's just even more annoying than the 24 fret guitars when a metal guy thinks it's cool to only solo on the high frets.
Quote by ethan_hanus
That....was the worst thing I have ever heard, my ears bleed from the horrible tone, and the horrible tuning.

wut

wrong
^ No, it was awful, and it's prolly a good thing I've never heard of em, cause that prolly means alot of people haven't head him play, which is prolly saving their soul from eternal damnation.

He's a hippy too, so that just makes it even worse.
Quote by ethan_hanus
^ No, it was awful, and it's prolly a good thing I've never heard of em, cause that prolly means alot of people haven't head him play, which is prolly saving their soul from eternal damnation.

you couldn't have said it any better
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
I wouldn't consider that music.

I don't like what Joe Satriani or Steve Vai does, either. It's... showing off. Hardcore.
Quote by NIN1993
you couldn't have said it any better

+ 1 it sucked big turtle dicks.

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
that is quite possibly the worst thing i have ever heard, and that is one ugly guitar
Quote by ethan_hanus

Damn hippies
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

I don't like what Joe Satriani or Steve Vai does, either. It's... showing off. Hardcore.

Says the person who likes Attack Attack...
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

haha attack attack fan in accusing joe satriani and steve vai of not being real music shocker...

lawl

ps uli rules n00bs
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Mar 18, 2011,
MAB is the only real guy ive seen use more than 24 frets on the no boundaries song.
I'm not an attack attack fan and I don't really enjoy listening to Vai. I like Satriani though. I feel like Vai just uses exotic scales in his compositions for the sake of using them. Maybe some people get the music but I don't. Same thing with some of Yngwie's work.
Don't know if it had 24 or more frets, but MAB's double-neck had atleast 48 frets, and he could play them all.
I don't see the practicality of a 36 fret guitar, but Ibanez recently came out with a 30-fret RG that looks decently practical
My gear:
Guitars:
2010 Dean Vendetta XMT(modified... heavily)
2005ish Squier Bullet(also modified)
2007 Ibanez AEG series acoustic-electric
1990's Montana acoustic guitar
Amps:
Marshall MG10
Fender bassman
Quote by Jango22
Says the person who likes Attack Attack...

I didn't realize liking Attack Attack! nullifies my views and opinions of music. I don't remember stating anywhere that what Attack Attack! makes is "good" music, either.

I don't think Vai or Satriani are bad guitar players, I just don't care for listening to guitar melodies for 6 minutes a song.
Ok guys, I think that's enough of the flaming of crappy music hippy guy posted on the first page.

We need a better example of what a 36 fret guitar sounds like, not from the crappy music hippy guy posted on the first page, someone who can actually tune their guitar would be nice.

Here's a video of someone who can actually play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ6cgNg6PNY
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Mar 18, 2011,