A few weeks ago I had an ideer........ I wanted a guitar neck with no fretboard, truss rod or skunk-stripe. Basic, one-piece construction. But string tension doesn't allow for that. There's about 90 Lbs of tension on a standard tuned 25.5" scale set of .010's
So, I brainstormed up a solution and here it is....
Padouk body
Rosewood neck and upper wing - or as I named it, the S T F U ( string tension forgiveness unit )
25.5" scale
24 pyramid shaped frets ( StewMac )
Roller TOM bridge
Jackson Tuners
Guitarheads.net Hexbuckers - the BADDEST set of low-dough pups on the planet!!
single volume
tone on a push/pull pot with passive overdrive ( guitarheads.net )
3 way switch
Tensionless neck
Ergonomic design thats lightweight and small, but feels nice n solid.

and on with the pics.....

yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
So in the end, be careful, but even still it's not THAT easy to get killed to death.
This is a proto-type. I have re-designed the body a bit and will final sand/buff out the clear when I disassemble this one for completion.
A Bass is in the works next.
Any questions, feel free to ask.
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
So in the end, be careful, but even still it's not THAT easy to get killed to death.
Quote by J Mud
Haha wow! How does it play?

Awesome. I have a couple of frets that need CA glue and re-clamping. But, for a proto-type, I'm calling it a success.
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
I don't know if it's just me, but I don't see the point.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
I don't know if it's just me, but I don't see the point.

I wanted a neck that wouldn't need any adjusting. Ever. String tension along with humidity changes will make a truss rod adjustment necessary.
Eliminate the tension, you can eliminate the truss rod.
No other reason.
well... that, and to see if I could.
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Well the wood can still warp, and there' s not even anything like some Carbon Fiber reinforcement to prevent that, and can't the little "arm" thing that takes the tension warp and bend just as well?

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by Jason Jillard
yeah im with orrin on this one...

seems redundant and stuff... and doesn`t look as pretty as a normal guitar even with skunk stripes and stuff. and looks more uncomfortable to play and in the long run, that neck will warp and ther will be no way to pull it back into strait.

O really?
... and what will make the neck warp? String tension??!? Wood ( once settled and cured ) doesn't just 'warp' on its own. *Regular* necks warp due to the pressure put on them by the strings, along with humidity changes. There is no string tension to consider here.
The upper arm , or the S T F U , is designed to be far enough back that it can warp forward while still keeping tension on the strings. No truss rod needed.
As far as comfortable, thats the whole point of an ergonomic design. Its light, hangs just right, and IS extremely comfy.... and light... and resonant.
Also, this is a bolt-on design, I can change necks all I want - should - this one ever move/warp/self-implode on its own.
New ideas are often received with a bit of skepticism until they are proven to work.
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
I've got to hand it to you it's a rather elegant solution to the problem. How does it sound in comparison to a normal electric guitar? I imagine the upper wing has some effect tonally.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by OurSouls,inc.
O really?
... and what will make the neck warp? String tension??!? Wood ( once settled and cured ) doesn't just 'warp' on its own. *Regular* necks warp due to the pressure put on them by the strings, along with humidity changes. There is no string tension to consider here.
The upper arm , or the S T F U , is designed to be far enough back that it can warp forward while still keeping tension on the strings. No truss rod needed.
As far as comfortable, thats the whole point of an ergonomic design. Its light, hangs just right, and IS extremely comfy.... and light... and resonant.
Also, this is a bolt-on design, I can change necks all I want - should - this one ever move/warp/self-implode on its own.
New ideas are often received with a bit of skepticism until they are proven to work.

I was going to mention that the upper arm but could warp to take pressure off the zero fret, but you pointed out that it's far enough back to hold the tension

the only thing that stands out about that, is that now there's obviously some tension on the neck portion, since the strings are pulled down against the zero fret

though I don't know how much constant tension needs to be applied on the neck for it to warp.. but of course I'm just being critical for the sake of being critical, since it's a prototype

in the end I'm not sure if I'd rather go to the trouble of building an extra arm over routing a truss rod, but it's a pretty cool idea at least
its interesting, but im sort of agreeing with orrin and jason, i dont really see the point. cool experiment though
Yeah, wood can warp on its own, it moves depending on its surroundings, I know I have a couple of doors in my house that only open easily half of the year, as they swell and shrink accordingly. It will be stable enough to work, and can avoid the problems with the truss rod due to string tension, but that's about it.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I like the idea, but damn, it looks like one neck heavy guitar!
This looks like a pretty cool way to achieve what you wanted really.

For the fretboard part of the guitar there is little to no tension at all since the strings aren't pulling on it. So the main arm my move a bit up or down, but it also looks like it should have enough strength to avoid any actual movement due to the way that it was positioned.

I actually really like the guitar and the way it looks. I've seen a number of acoustics that use similar ideas so I don't see why this wouldn't work like them.

Hell, even if it doesn't work at least you tried something new. Too many people are afraid to try new things because they are afraid of failure. Innovation is good! Leo was ridiculed in the beginning when he introduced the solid body electric guitar.
Quote by Jason Jillard
yeah.

he was.

I'm talking more the first real solid body guitar that most of the public could get.

The log was more of a "Just for me" type thing in the beginning with Les Paul.

Or lets dive further into Fenders inventions. The Bolt on neck for example.
Thanks for the thoughts and replies fellers. I'm glad some dig it, I'm assured some will not. For the more 'traditional' crowd, I have the next phase in the works.
here's the progression :
I made the octobass https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1419286&highlight=octobass , immediately followed by a new type of "boltless"- bolt-on neck. (Kind of a removeable set neck.) But I made that bass neck out of quartersawn ebony and kept it trussless. It holds up fine so far, but will likely bow under the string tension of 5 bass strings.
So that got me thinking about a tensionless neck, and a google search revealed that its been done since the 50's, but like anything, there's more than one solution.......
On to this proto-type, which is - as far as I know - the only guitar in the world that can be tuned to pitch, and then have the neck removed. A smaller neck/shorter scale length neck could then be re-inserted for a whole new instrument. all without un-tuning.
Whats that worth?
Spit,
but it has me on a wild new trail of building.
My next model will have the tuners up top, on a headstock, with the neck unattached, of course. Also a more traditional shaped body ( V's are traditional, right?? )

anyway- again thanks for viewing and responding - love it or hate it- feedback helps these things grow !
so
FWIW, there is enough back tension on the neck to hold the strings, but its a slight angle. I don't know the PSI of the pressure, but it's very small, and certainly not enough to bend a solid rosewood board.
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001

a couple of pics of said RW.......
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
.. and I just figured out - without the neck, its a sweet slide guitar !! bonus. Now I gotta learn to play slide guitar....... :/
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Patent it? I like it.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Quote by loinmute
Patent it? I like it.

Thanks... but no. I have a patent . Not on this, but every patent requires a TON of paperwork and a stack of dough.
This one is just not worth it, since any company who wants to can just change it up a fuzz and get around the legalities of it .
I still think my new one will be much more widely appreciated.
a huge manufacturer could possibly save a ton of money on manufacturing if they switched to a similar system. The necks require much fewer steps to create than normal and no truss rod X a million builds = $$ saved. the amount of extra wood used would offset the savings a bit, but they would stand to save $$.
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
yeah but it would have to be widely accepted by the guitar community for big manufacturing to do it, and personally, i wouldnt buy it. like i think its interesting but i dont think i'd want to buy one.
any reason behind the large inlay dots?
they are just wood plugs. I like em and they're like 2 bucks for 50 or so.
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
I just really don't see the point. I mean woot you completed your goal of not having to put a trussrod in, but whats so bad about truss rods? why the vendetta? surely putting a truss rod in is less hassle that say getting a case for this thing.

also you could still have your neck warp from humidity/ temp fluctuation. or from accidents like dropping it or leaning it up against something and having it fall or whatever. wouldn't a truss rod be easier than switching necks out?

it just seems that you spent a lot of time and effort and fixed something that wasn't broke and made many more future problems for yourself.

neat design, glad you reached your goal, but I don't see the benefit of what you did.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
I just really don't see the point. I mean woot you completed your goal of not having to put a trussrod in, but whats so bad about truss rods? why the vendetta? surely putting a truss rod in is less hassle that say getting a case for this thing.

also you could still have your neck warp from humidity/ temp fluctuation. or from accidents like dropping it or leaning it up against something and having it fall or whatever. wouldn't a truss rod be easier than switching necks out?

it just seems that you spent a lot of time and effort and fixed something that wasn't broke and made many more future problems for yourself.

neat design, glad you reached your goal, but I don't see the benefit of what you did.
i think it was more about never having to deal with neck adjustment etc, and to see if it was possible. also, he explained that its built to deal with some warp if it ever happens, and it wont affect the neck