Okay, I've played the HT 20, and have to say I wasn't completely stunned by it. It didn't sound bad, it had a good clean tone, good overdrive, and "thrashable" higher gain. But, with the gain all the way up, it didn't quite get into the metal territory I seek.

On Blackstar's website, it alludes to the HT 40 having two more "modes" than the HT 20, on the ISF feature. Does this mean it can achieve more gain? Or is it just the same amp with a higher wattage?
It's pretty much more of the same with higher wattage. You might want to just go try it out. If you want to get MetalCore heavy with it, all it needs is a clean boost, such as an MXR 10 Band EQ. Those amps get pretty heavy though. The thing about the higher wattage is that it also gives more headroom, so it might sound heavier. Also, it might have less gain stolen by the reverb since it's a higher watt amp. Seriously, though, I tried it and it get's pretty heavy.
i think the isf knob just turns more.

and by isf knob i mean tone knob.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
i think the isf knob just turns more.

and by isf knob i mean tone knob.

It's not a tone knob, but more of a voicing knob. Basically, they took Egnater's switch and made it a knob. It goes from "American" voicing to "British" voicing. It has a 3-band eq, so a tone knob would be pointless...

It might be the addition of a separate "voicing" button for each channel too...i forgot about that.

Hell, even the reverb has adjustable voicing on that amp...

they should go with the slogan "An amp with a VOICE! (or 20)"
Yeah, I'll go try one when the store gets them in - maybe even today. But it's gonna have to blow me away for me not to go ahead and buy a Peavey 6505.

I just sold my only amp yesterday, and I'm feeling the need to get something soon, lol.
Quote by KailM
Yeah, I'll go try one when the store gets them in - maybe even today. But it's gonna have to blow me away for me not to go ahead and buy a Peavey 6505.

I just sold my only amp yesterday, and I'm feeling the need to get something soon, lol.

If you are looking for better metal tones over clean tones then you want the 6505. The 6505's cleans are pretty bad, but will get much heavier more easily. They really aren't even comparable amps in my book, but it's really up to you.