I've been playing over a year now and strumming has always been a problem for me. I just got a laptop and started recording myself playing and I can't help but notice I sound really "choppy" when I play it back. I'd watch youtube videos of songs and they play it so clear (other non-professional guitarists, but as they should since their probably better) but when I give it my best imitation, and its not like I'm just starting out, it sounds like a mess and not together. My chords are fine, the progression between them isn't perfect but it still shouldn't sound so choppy. I'm self taught so its not like I necessarily have any advice coming in. Any tips/advice why it could be? Thanks
Slow down until you can do it cleanly, take your time and don't try and make yourself go any faster than you can comfortably get it right, you'll just teach yourself bad habits.

Don't hurry it, just gradually speed up until you get to where you need to be.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
learn a song with strumming and practice getting the patterns down
i started with like OAR stuff (e.g - About an hour ago)
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals