I was just wondering what good examples of playing in 6/8 time are around?

I did a simple tutorial on it, which involved strumming a whole bunch of different chords and it was a pretty basic affair, but now I'm interested in exploring it a bit further.

Does anyone know any good songs that will demonstrate this timing?
I want to get a feel for using it for lead work and applying it to scales, not just rythym, and also play a few more complex rythyms than just a constand d-d-u-d-d-u or d-u-d-d-u-d.

I mainly play a lot of hard rock and metal, not shred though, but I'm really open to trying lots of different styles. Classic rock and indie are all good, but progressive styles interest me too.

I haven't been playing very long, so simpler examples are ideal, but still chuck in the trickier suggestions too so I can check them out. Any good online lessons are also handy.

Cheers.
Pink Floyd's money is 7/4 great track.
I went to the zoo the other day, there was only one dog in it, it was a shitzu.

He who laughs last thinks slowest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37k_Ri1XxEc

Between the Bars by Elliott Smith is on of the more depressing examples of either a 3/4 or 6/8 based song (I'm half asleep and don't really remember the difference in terms of the sound of the song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7SrwwT6Zps

The Sky is Falling by Queens of the Stone Age
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Mar 18, 2011,
It's easy. 6/8 is in theory the same as 3/4, just that the splits are different.

In 3/4, its;

1 (heavy), 2 and 3 (light).
Meaning that with all 8ths in the bar, the accentuation would be on 1 and 4 out of 6.

i 6/8, its;

1, 3, 5 (heavy) and 2, 4, 6 (light).
Accentuated 1, 3, 5 - if you didn't get it.

To sum it up, and simplify it;

3/4 equals groups of threes (8ths, 16ths, quarters, whatever)
6/8 equals groups of twos (----------"--------------)
hey flamenco rythm guitar uses 6/8 a lot, but you could try something like korns blind unplugged for strumming in 6/8.
Every single goddamned clean/acoustic part that Opeth has ever done is in 6/8. Check out The Drapery Falls for some examples.
Ahh cheers. I actually have the Songs for the Death songbook at the moment, so been trying sky is falling.

I've been doing d-d-u-d-d for the verse part which is

| 2 0 2 4 2 - |
| 0 0 0 0 0 - |

but watching some youtube vids, it looks like all of the chord progressions they go through in the verse and chorus are just all down-strokes.

Some good tracks there... definitely will try some.

6/8 is just 2 3/4s glued together isn't it?