The U.S. Military has purchased software designed to create and control false online personas in an attempt to use social media and other websites to counter anti-U.S. messaging.

According to the contract between US Central Command (Centcom) and California company Ntrepid, the software would let each user control 10 personas, each "replete with background, history, supporting details, and cyber presences that are technically, culturally and geographically consistent." The software would also be able to let personas "appear to originate in nearly any part of the world" and interact through "conventional online services and social media platforms," while using a static IP address for each persona to maintain a consistent online identity.

These false online personas, also known as "sock puppets," would be equipped to seem like real people while entering online discussion through blogs, message boards, chats, and more. With a false persona, a user could discredit opponents, or create the semblance of consensus.

The Guardian explains, "The US military is developing software that will let it secretly manipulate social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter by using fake online personas to influence internet conversations and spread pro-American propaganda."

Centcom spokesman Commander Bill Speaks told The Guardian that the software "supports classified blogging activities on foreign-language websites to enable Centcom to counter violent extremist and enemy propaganda outside the US."

The technology would not be used in America, or by American owned companies--which include major social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. "We do not target U.S. audiences, and we do not conduct these activities on sites owned by U.S. companies," Speaks told the Washington Times.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/17/online-persona-management_n_837153.html

TLDR; taxdollars feed trolls. professional trolls.

discuss (if you're a real person)
I want to hate this so much, but I really want a copy of that software. Can you imagine how much funnier Fassa would have been if she was actually good at being a fake person?

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
These false online personas, also known as "sock puppets," would be equipped to seem like real people while entering online discussion through blogs, message boards, chats, and more. With a false persona, a user could discredit opponents, or create the semblance of consensus.

U.S. Military, I'd like to introduce you to somebody.

U.S. Military, the internet since 1999.
Internet since 1999, the U.S. Military.
well it makes sense.

we saw how pivotal social networking sites were to the uprisings in the middle east. the military needs to come up with counter measures to it.

its kinda messed up, and i dont believe for a minute that they wouldnt use these counter measures for US sectors, but it would be fairly short sighted for the military to not develop technology such as this.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Clearly this is being taken completely out of context. But I think we would all agree that America is awesome!
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I don't really care. I don't accept random friend requests on facebook or anything, and I already know to ignore youtube comments, plus there's already a shit ton of trolls here. I only think this will affect old people and rednecks.

"Hey! This guy likes 'Merica! I like 'Merica! This dude's awesome!"
Quote by trueamerican
I don't really care. I don't accept random friend requests on facebook or anything, and I already know to ignore youtube comments, plus there's already a shit ton of trolls here. I only think this will affect old people and rednecks.

"Hey! This guy likes 'Merica! I like 'Merica! This dude's awesome!"

yeah man, the u.s. military is targeting old people and rednecks because they so desperately need their support. there's no reason to target teens and twentysomethings, known for their love of war and the establishment.

who do you work for, trueamerican?
Last edited by Arthur Curry at Mar 18, 2011,
You have discovered me. My code is entitled X34_769_C:/Program_B. I am the prototype system.

X34_769_C:/Program_B

X34_769_C:/

C:

It lives in our C drive, comrades.
Quote by Das_Skittles
I want to hate this so much, but I really want a copy of that software. Can you imagine how much funnier Fassa would have been if she was actually good at being a fake person?

I got distracted by your avatar too much to pay attention to the thread. Is that a Feyenoord fan?
Quote by trueamerican
Do I? DO I?! Or AM I your C drive?

I knew getting an external drive was a good idea.

But, no!

They said I was mad!

WHO'S MAD NOW?!
Quote by hriday_hazarika
I knew getting an external drive was a good idea.

But, no!

They said I was mad!

WHO'S MAD NOW?!

Am I your C drive? Or was it a diversion? Or maybe I can spread through USB cords and the internet. No-one's safe from... DUN DUN DUN

PROPAGANDA!!!

*gasp*
"He did NOT just say that, Susie!"
"OMG, he totally did!"
Quote by trueamerican
Am I your C drive? Or was it a diversion? Or maybe I can spread through USB cords and the internet. No-one's safe from... DUN DUN DUN

PROPAGANDA!!!

*gasp*
"He did NOT just say that, Susie!"
"OMG, he totally did!"

Fancy wall of text is basically telling me the government is pumping out even more funding so that a select team of "special forces" from the military can have facebook.

Soon the army will be just like any tween girl.
I can see it now.

Status updates from soldiers mid combat.
"Just threw a grenade."
"Saw someone in my squadron shooting enemy forces and experiencing a lot of recoil. Had some gay thoughts."
Quote by ThorVonClemson
Fancy wall of text is basically telling me the government is pumping out even more funding so that a select team of "special forces" from the military can have facebook.

Soon the army will be just like any tween girl.
I can see it now.

Status updates from soldiers mid combat.
"Just threw a grenade."
"Saw someone in my squadron shooting enemy forces and experiencing a lot of recoil. Had some gay thoughts."

Ohhh..the possibilities...
I see this as a pointless effort. When there's free press, people should be free to form their onw informed opinions. I feel sorry for you, Americans, since they're wasting your tax dollar on this.