I finally ventured away from Celestion and had a look at eminence and I noticed a speaker called the 'Tonkerlite'.

- First thing that caught my eye was the weight 4oz!

- Next was the power rating of 125W

- Next thing i noticed is that it was red (we all know that makes a massive difference in tone)

- Then i found out the speaker was made of neodymuim.

Now i've read that this speaker is comparable to a V30 with less treble.

Now this gets me thinking... Why don't I have these speakers right now, and have lightweight red speakers with plenty of headroom?

Has anyone had any experience with this speaker... or Neodymiums at all?

Toodles, Julz!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
I haven't used any neodymium magnet speakers, but they are fairly common with bass cabs IIRC.
They are very light too, I've seen a 4x12 loaded with neodymium speakers and you can lift them easily. The 2x12 I could lift with 1 arm it was so light!
they are tighter then alnico and ceramic.
lighter and a lot more efficient.

you won't get much speaker distortion.

a lot less vintagey and more transparent then the other magnet types.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
OMG these things are driving me nuts right now, I'm worried about the tone and how they will color your tone though, im thinking of replacing my egnaters speaker in order to decrease the weight. the scholz sugarcone looks incredibly nice, also i have heard good things about the deltalite speaker. those are the ones I am looking at. They look like they could be awesome, but idk what to believe until I play one.
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
headphones? we are talking guitar amp speakers. the neo magnets are way more efficient,
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
If I had a decent amp, I'd love to try out some neos.

I wish JBL still made guitar speakers. I bet some JBL neos would be badass.
celestion, jensen, eminence, and weber all make neo speakers. some other people do too i'm sure.

i think warehouse makes a neo as well.
neodymium is a rare earth magnet:

Quote by wikipedia.org
Rare-earth magnets are strong permanent magnets made from alloys of rare earth elements. Developed in the 1970s and 80s, rare-earth magnets are the strongest type of permanent magnets made, substantially stronger than ferrite or alnico magnets. The magnetic field typically produced by rare-earth magnets can be in excess of 1.4 teslas, whereas ferrite or ceramic magnets typically exhibit fields of 0.5 to 1 tesla. There are two types: neodymium magnets and samarium-cobalt magnets. Rare earth magnets are extremely brittle and also vulnerable to corrosion, so they are usually plated or coated to protect them from breaking and chipping.

i will just quote them since they have everything i wanna say to describe the magnets.

the reason people don't use them? Min mentioned it

Quote by Min
they are tighter then alnico and ceramic.
lighter and a lot more efficient.

you won't get much speaker distortion.

a lot less vintagey and more transparent then the other magnet types.

read: they don't really sound like guitar speakers that much... without effort. personally, i'd buy neo speakers from a speaker geek from hell, someone who has tons of speaker experience and is gonna be critical as hell of their own product.

like the late Ted Weber

Quote by Ted Weber
I get asked a lot about neo speakers and how they evolved for this market. Here are my thoughts.
We engineers get all giddy about energy and power, so when the neo came along speaker engineers went crazy because of all the energy in a much smaller package. Where we would typically have 11K of energy in an AlNiCo, and maybe 13K of energy in a ceramic, they had over 15K in a neo. That's nice, except we can go overboard on anything and this is no exception. That much energy oversensitized the speakers and made them hard and harsh at high volumes with distortion. The first ones were unbearable.
Eminence and Celestion got a handle on it and made the necessary changes. As a result, they both have very good neo guitar speakers. The rest of the marketers are still clueless, apparently.
I started out designing ours with the AlNiCo energy as a target. The first question is... "why would someone purposely not take advantage of the energy in the neo?" My answer is because I was shooting for a tone, not a contest winning energy level, and the light weight is a bonus. So, that's where we are.
The neo energy in our NeoMag™ Series speaker is the same as the AlNiCo magnet circuit it emulates.
As a result, they sound the same. Virtually identical.
Next question: "Why do these weigh as much as a california 12? I thought neo speakers were a lot lighter weight than ceramics and others".
They are. Remember, our NeoMag™ Series is meant to replace original AlNiCo JBL D series speakers. Those weighed in at 18 to 22 pounds, while our Neo's are about half that.

edit: not to say Tonkerlite is not good themselves. i wouldn't know. but AM has a good ear and has owned quite a number of speakers.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 18, 2011,
i mean i wouldn't mind having a set to voice an amp build around...or if I really needed to lug a combo all over...

but true to vintage sounding they are not.

they sound good but it's like a major component of your set up that your changing.

though, I can hear the difference a lot of the times between a set of alinco and ceramic speakers pretty easily.
i usually find the difference become more pronounced when the speakers get 'pushed'. at low volume, in linear operation range I can hardly tell a difference.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae