Hiya, I have a few songs which need drums to it and a couple of questions.

Question #1:

What is the best way to record drums?

Question #2:

If I send someone an MP3, would they be able to throw some drums on to it? (This is me asking you if you are a drummer btw)

Cheers.
You, are creating all the bubbles at night...
1) Depends on situation. The very best way to record is having a pro studio use pro mics on a pro kit with a pro drummer and pro music. But unless you have those facilities i'd recommend looking into VST Drums (Superior Drummer being my personal favourite, others include Steven Slate Drums and Addictive Drums) and programming them via MIDI.
For number 2, like barely a soul uses real drums here if you were implying that you wanted to send it to someone here. like Afro said, we mostly use VST drums. But if you just mean anyone, then yes. That can work quite fine.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Mar 18, 2011,
2) depends on the guy you send it too, but most drummers can
Gear:
Boss MD-2
Fake Gibson Les Paul
Washburn BD12R
Kawasaki Acoustic

Quote by Lots O' FX
digoutyerarse: none dig deeper

I"M SO RANDUMZ LOL
Cool thanks. I'll look into the VST thingy. As I have a drummer, but the recording is an issue.
You, are creating all the bubbles at night...
Quote by Higgzy
Hiya, I have a few songs which need drums to it and a couple of questions.

Question #1:

What is the best way to record drums?

Question #2:

If I send someone an MP3, would they be able to throw some drums on to it? (This is me asking you if you are a drummer btw)

Cheers.

A1 - The best way to record drums and to get a great drum sound is to have 3 things. An excellent drummer, a well tuned and naturally good sounding drum kit, and a great sounding room. If you have those 3 things, the choices of mics, preamps, and outboard gear just add flavor. If you don't have those 3 things, sample replacement (I reccomend Steven Slate Drums) is your best option.

A2 - It's crucial that your MP3 that you send to anyone, was recorded to a click track. Otherwise, you may be in for a mess!
Do you love Alice In Chains and Metallica? How about Tool and Velvet Revolver?...then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in awhile...-->The Liberty Underground<--
If you are looking to use real drums, and not MIDI drums:
I find that on a standard kit two overhead condensors and a bass drum mic do it good.

If you can record only one track at a time, but have a mixer you can EQ the drums to change volumes of stuff.

I reccomend you record drums first. Makes the most sense, and it's how majority of music was recorded since multi-track recording was invented. It's what the drummer is for anyways.
..I was watching my death.