We were having a bit of a discussion on the forum plan thread so I thought I'd ask the plebs the rest of you for your thoughts?

Which is your preferred wood for fingerboards and fretboards? And why?

Personally I prefer maple for a nice snappy attack and a firmer feel, best for slapping I think. I do prefer the look or rosewood and ebony though, so long as they have block pearl inlays and white binding.
I play fretless so I prefer the sound of roundwound strings really digging into rosewood, but because of the damage it does I ended up coating mine with epoxy jaco style.
I'm a big fan of ebony, but tend to favour rosewood on basses simply because of it's neutrality, simple looks and easy upkeep.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
maple gives that punchy slap in your junk i love, my last bass i bought has maple and i'll never look back! ha
I like the look of Maple but rosewood and pao ferro (my spelling might be a bit off) looks sexy
pinga
Laquered maple any day, nice smooth and fast.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Degitech BP-80
MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz
Boss Bass Chorus CEB-3
DOD FX91 OD
Traynor Dynabass 200
I own rosewood and wenge (unless you count my Ministar, I don't) but I'm gassing really hard for a maple boarded P.
As I said in the Plan Thread, rosewood's just boring to me now. .
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
On fretted, maple. On fretless, pau ferro >rosewood. I love the feel and sound of maple necks.

I don't dislike rosewood, but I like the feel, look and sound of pau ferro a bit better.

On upright, ebony.
Last edited by anarkee at Mar 18, 2011,
Wenge.

Everything should be made from wenge.

Or Indian Rosewood. I demand Indian now.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I love Ebony and Gabon Blackwood for my fretboards.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I love my maple neck on my sandberg, it gives it great snap as mentioned, but I think rosewood looks more classic, and I do like it, but for preference, maple
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I'm gonna be the boring one and go for rosewood. I've owned basses with ebony boards before, and I quite like it - I prefer it to maple. I own a maple board USA precision at the moment, and it's just not to my tastes. I love the way it looks, but it's too hard sounding for me. I prefer the smoothness that rosewood brings. I tried two Musicman Stingrays out in the shop the other week, one in rosewood and one in maple. The rosewood just spoke to me - it sounds so much more like what I want my instruments to sound like. I'll be selling the P-bass soon and funding a Musicman Stingray in rosewood. Fortunately my Jazz is rosewood too.
Hey hey, I like rosewood too, but I think it'd be cool so own something a little more "exotic". I am lucky however that my Ibanez came with a really nice grain for the body and rosewood fretboard.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Hey hey, I like rosewood too, but I think it'd be cool so own something a little more "exotic". I am lucky however that my Ibanez came with a really nice grain for the body and rosewood fretboard.

The thing is, rosewood is an exotic wood too really. It's just not usually considered so in the guitar world because it's the standard for guitar construction. It's not until you play some of the other woods that you realise why they always fall back on rosewood. It's just "right".

[/subjective opinion]
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Even nuts and piezos and Jesus should (somehow) be made of wenge.

Would love to try bubinga or snakewood as a fretboard though.

Rickenbacker 4004's all have bubinga fretboards. Pity about the Rickenbacker part .
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by obeythepenguin
I love the look and feel of maple boards, but both of my basses are rosewood.

This. Exactly actually...
Gear:
Ibanez SRX-365
MIM Fender Jazz Bass
Yamaha B50-115ii
Boss CS-3
Quote by Ziphoblat
The thing is, rosewood is an exotic wood too really. It's just not usually considered so in the guitar world because it's the standard for guitar construction. It's not until you play some of the other woods that you realise why they always fall back on rosewood. It's just "right".

[/subjective opinion]

Shit, I learn something new everyday. I figured it wasn't exotic because its so common and usually most if not all of the guitars in the cheap range use rosewood. I wouldnt normally associate cheap = exotic.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Shit, I learn something new everyday. I figured it wasn't exotic because its so common and usually most if not all of the guitars in the cheap range use rosewood. I wouldnt normally associate cheap = exotic.

Have you ever got a solid rosewood body priced?
Quote by Cb4rabid

As with all woods, there are varying grades of it. Some rosewood is cheap, but good rosewood isn't.
Quote by Spaz91
Have you ever got a solid rosewood body priced?

I doubt it can cost more than AAAAA Koa
pinga
Try 5000 year old Kauri.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I like wood from the Tree of Good and Evil. It's got the best tone on Earth, but I hear it has some serious repercussions later on in the life of the bass...
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by mtshark
I like wood from the Tree of Good and Evil. It's got the best tone on Earth, but I hear it has some serious repercussions later on in the life of the bass...

Ebony for me. So smooth and fast and I like stainless steel jumbos for the maximum pop clank available. But I am in the school of though that there is no wrong tonewood, only warmer/darker etc. Depends on the mood or desired result.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Last edited by loinmute at Mar 18, 2011,
I like maple for live performances
and rosewood for everything else,

Tabdog
My highschool had a Ibanez Roadstar II bass that had a maple fretboard, and I loved it. Sounded great with slap, and I found it very articulate.
Ebony.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I like phenolic and phenowood fretboards. Extremely sturdy, and very low maintenance.

If I had to pick a wood though, maple is my go-to fretboard choice, with wenge as a close second.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Ebony is the king of woods in my opinion.

I love the look of some maple necks, but I hate the feel, so a good rosewood or Pao Ferro is great too.
wenge with a wenge neck. Sexy and sounds really deep.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Depends on the bass. I like the rosewood on my Ibanez, but maple is nice on basses like this to get that snappiness to the tone.

Edit: I really like Maple on guitars, if that's relevant. Also, I'm not really a fan of Ebony for anything. Nothing against it, I just haven't found anything that I really like with an Ebony fretboard.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by Spaz91
We were having a bit of a discussion on the forum plan thread so I thought I'd ask the plebs the rest of you for your thoughts?

Which is your preferred wood for fingerboards and fretboards? And why?

Personally I prefer maple for a nice snappy attack and a firmer feel, best for slapping I think. I do prefer the look or rosewood and ebony though, so long as they have block pearl inlays and white binding.

You really can't just say I like this kind of finger board because of it sounds a certain way.

A bunch of things go into how a guitar sounds. What's the body made of? Is the neck bolt on, set in or neck thru. What kind of bridge...

Change any one of those things and you've changed the tone.

Rosewood has a more mellow tone than Ebony or Maple both tend to be very bright.

With that said

IMHO this classic combination sounds really good
Alder body
Bolt on maple neck
Floyd Rose Tremolo
Rose Wood fingerboard.

Mahogany is darker sounding wood. You'll see ebony finderboards and maple tops to brighten the tone of a mahogany body. These are often set in or neck thru
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Willowthewitch

Alder body
Bolt on maple neck
Floyd Rose Tremolo
Rose Wood fingerboard.

This is the bass forum, i don't know what bass you've been playing if yours has a floyd rose
Quote by Willowthewitch

Alder body
Bolt on maple neck
Floyd Rose Tremolo
Rose Wood fingerboard.

Wrong Forum but none of the less
i like bubinga wenge and maple fretboards ALOT!!!! but im curious about purpleheart for a fretboard (mainly for looks but id like to know how the tone would be)
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.