Page 1 of 2
So I'm 17 and want to start driving, I'd like to know (roughly) how much it costs to start driving - including getting a car (a cheap one), lessons, tests, insurance tax etc..

I know lots of people on UG are 17-25 or so, so this is probably the best place to ask..

Thanks a lot guys.

HELLO!

I'd say probably about 1.5 grandish.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

What country are you in? It makes a difference.
Check out my band Disturbed
If you are in the UK then **** loads.

Let's say you do 30 lessons at £22 each that's £660.

You get a reasonable car that wont break down that's £1000

You get insurance which if your a male will be like £1500 unless you go on your parents.

Tax which is like £120.

Then the fact that petrol prices are ass raping at the moment. Basically If you don't need a car don't get one.
Oh, UK sorry and I'm Male btw - (I'm pretty sure that's important too) and I'm not sure if I could really use my parents car, it's a small engine (1.2) but I wouldn't wanna crash it, if it was my own shitty used car I wouldn't be too fussed.

HELLO!

My mate's spent £400 so far on lessons. When I checked for myself it was anywhere from £2000 upwards for insurance with the worst car I could find. Then there's tax. It'll cost a lot, it's worth waiting a year or two, the insurance should fall at 18 onwards.
Call me Matthew.
Quote by JamesLPs
Oh, UK sorry and I'm Male btw - (I'm pretty sure that's important too) and I'm not sure if I could really use my parents car, it's a small engine (1.2) but I wouldn't wanna crash it, if it was my own shitty used car I wouldn't be too fussed.

What are you gonna use the car for street racing? Have some confidence. Who cares if it's a small engine.
If you waited till your 17, just get your temps (if you havent already) and just wait till your 18 and get your license. Here in Ohio, if your 18 you don't need to take classes so that will cut down on a lot of money. Talking to a lot of my friends who did take classes, it's pretty much a waste of time.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
Just be careful in your parent's car. Itll be OK. a question, though. Your GAS website, If I refresh it repeatedly, do you get more?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
woah.. if you're in the UK...
£15-20 a Lesson (average over the UK is 25 lessons)
car- up to £1500 for a first time car (2nd hand)
Tax dependant on car. Eco friendly - >£40, Not eco-friendly - >£150
Insurance - Own name - £2800 minimum if you're not going to lie.
- On parent's name - £800 minimum
Mate I'm sorry but you will be f**ked over by insurance companies. Expect to pay about 3k on your first year insurance. You can go on gocompare or comparethemarket or whatever and theyll quote a good price but when you try and actually buy it, they'll change the offer haha.

Also Id just like to point out that under the age of 18 you can no longer have insurance in your parents name the company will automatically make you the main driver because they know that this is what everyone used to do.....
i paid E2000 for an 01 998c yaris and the insurance is in my mas name with me as a named driver and it costs E1450. lessons are E40 and the test is E75
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Consider you lucky that you're not Norwegian. The total costs for a license is approximately £2700.

I'll recommend you to stick to public transport if that's not too problematic, since everything car-related in this world is assmolestingly expensive.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by metaldud536
What are you gonna use the car for street racing? Have some confidence. Who cares if it's a small engine.

It has a large effect on insurance, that's why it's fairly important he has a small engine.

If you aren't concerned about what car you get think outside the box.

I haven't checked but I would imagine a 1.6 Focus estate would be cheaper to insure than a 1.25 Zetec Fiesta for example.

Go for something young boys don't want to buy.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Unless you need it for work, stick to public transport.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
If you're really set on getting a cheap car and fixing it up, make sure you know what you're getting yourself into... Maintenance costs a lot. Not to mention gas, insurance, and speeding tickets.

Talk to your friends who own cars and how much they spend on them. Imo if you do this and still live with your parents, expect to live with them for a little bit longer.

Bite the bullet and drive the van.
Quote by one vision
If you're really set on getting a cheap car and fixing it up, make sure you know what you're getting yourself into... Maintenance costs a lot. Not to mention gas, insurance, and speeding tickets.

you say it like they're not optional
Quote by metaldud536

What? He was saying it has a small engine (good reason for using his parents car), but he didn't want to rick crashing it (bad reason).
good luck on trying to get insurance. I'm 21 and have had my license since I turned 18, and have been driving for the last 3 years in my mums car (named driver). I deciding to see how much insurance is on it for myself only, and it would cost me £1500 for the year. Insurance doesn't really go down until you turn 25
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Masshuu
My mate's spent £400 so far on lessons. When I checked for myself it was anywhere from £2000 upwards for insurance with the worst car I could find. Then there's tax. It'll cost a lot, it's worth waiting a year or two, the insurance should fall at 18 onwards.

I'd say it's worth doing now, and going on the rent's insurance- if he waits, the fall in insurance won't be much because he's still a 'new driver.' Get two years of driving under your belt- better fall in your premiums.
I haven't gone through all the replies, so I don't really know if you're in the states or elsewhere, so I'll just say what I know about the prices in the states. High school actually offers drivers ed as a elective class for free. Beyond that, for behind the wheel lessons, it'll run you somewhere between $100-$300 on average. To take the written and performance tests, it costs about $15-$20 per test (assuming that you pass them the first time). For a vehicle, you can get a POS for $300, but for a decent operating car with small maintenance issues, your looking at $1000-$2000 (used of course). To register the vehicle, the price could be anywhere from $20-$100 depending on what state you're in and where the vehicle was registered prior to you owning it. Then comes the issue with insurance. Because you're 17-year-old male, a new driver, and more than likely driving a semi-adequate vehicle, your cost of insurance is going to be way higher than it could be, probably in the ball park of $150-$250 per month. At the absolute cheapest, you're looking at about $450 to start out, not including the maintenance of the vehicle or any potential tickets, damages, etc. However, be prepared for something closer to $2700-$3000. Like I said before, these are just general estimates based on what I'm familiar with in the states.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Area affects insurance. It's cost me an absolute fortune.
Lessons - 30-ish, £600
Car - £3050
Insurance, £2900
Pass plus - £120
Tax - £155
And the test works out about £100 with the instructor's car. I passed 2nd time.
So yeah... getting on 7 grand. It's crazy.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Very roughly:

Driving lessons + tests - £900 (if you pass first time)
Car - £1000 for anything road worthy
Insurance - £3500 p/year for a 17y/o male

£5400 total.

That doesnt include if you fail any tests; car repairs; car servicing, MOT, + tax; petrol (Maybe £100 p/month); replacing worn items e.g. tyres, clutch, brake pads +/or disks etc. etc.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Well you've got about €1,500 - €2,500 for a reasonably good car, then you've got at least €750 - €2,500 for insurance, tax is anywhere from €170 - €300, then petrol is around €50 a week, then a service costs roughly €150, new tires are €50 a pop.

Driving lessons? €300 - €400. Test? €50 - €60.

Good luck, my cars have drained nearly all my money in the past year. That's why I'm getting a bike!
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Insurance - £3000-£6000
Lessons (40) - £700
Car - £1000-£3000
Tax - £100?
Test - £100

Total Approx - £6300
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Archer18
Insurance - £3000-£6000
Lessons (40) - £700
Car - £1000-£3000
Tax - £100?
Test - £100

Total Approx - £6300

It's the Essex thing dude. We get screwed on insurance
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

for myself in in canada, it cost me roughly $2850 to get everything.

-tests without failing ($250)
-insurance (2 mil liability, no collision, but protect against theft and other things) ($1100)
-used car bought from my friend (98 cavalier) ($1000)
-lessons ($600)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
why do people waste money on lessons? you could just have your parents teach you. that's what my friends did and what i'm doing. much cheaper.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Your main concern will be insurance IMO

I work for an insurance company and in the past year we are all getting ass raped by raised premiums. A 17 year old male wouldn't even get a quote with us and it seems a few other companies are turning their backs on young drivers too..

You don't need a car of your own at the moment. Add yourself as a named driver on your parents car. As you said, it has a small engine, which is a big plus. It will be a hell of a lot cheaper compared to being the policy holder on your own car. (I've seen quotes go as high as 3 grand for 17 year olds).

Rack up a few years named driver experience under them. No accidents claims or convictions within those years has a major influence on the premium. Once you feel you are financially sound that's when I suggest getting a car of your own. At the moment that cheapest insurance is around the £200 for a Ford ka Not saying that you should buy that although it's helpful knowing!

Also when looking for the best deal with car insurance always read the fine print. Sure another company can be £100 dearer but are they providing the same cover as the other one? Always check out extra benefits you are entitled too as well. The amount of customers I talk to who haven't a clue what they are actually covered for is shocking. Note, in regards to renewal premiums and whatnot. Don't be afraid to pick up the phone and ask your company can you do a better price. 9 times out of ten they will!

Sorry if I rambled on a bit there I was in the exact same position as you not so long ago.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
If you get a car, get a good one. I pays off in the end. I payed $3700 for mine, still owe $2400. I also need a new head gaskett and radiator. Thats another $1200

Get a good car. Works out better in end
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
A lot of money. Then you've got petrol ontop of that once you drive. The actual tests are about £100(including lesson beforehand and "hiring" the car for it), so hope you pass first time. I've heard the new Nissan Micra's are great for insurance.

Quote by jimihendrix6699
why do people waste money on lessons? you could just have your parents teach you. that's what my friends did and what i'm doing. much cheaper.

Mainly because once you stop driving by the book, you pick up things that would cause a fail in an exam. If you stall the engine and turn it straight back on like every passed driver does? Instant fail.
Last edited by andyscoot at Mar 19, 2011,
Too much. Permits here are around $60, driver's ed's around $600 bucks, and cars and insurance vary. Fortunately, if you're female and get good grades, you get an insurance discount.
Get your parents to teach you how to drive.

And the biggest cost will be insurance. I'm 20 and I pay $3k in Australia.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Man I'm glad I don't live in Europe

when i first started driving insurance was 1000 bucks a yeah and my car cost 300 bucks.
I rolled that my first day so then I had to get a different car.

now just over 5 years later i pay 50 bucks a month for insurance and still drive a POS truck i got for 2 grand.
Page 1 of 2