When I first started playing, I got a Squier humbucker-humbucker tele -

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Tele-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=515113

-awesome guitar for the price, but now I want something with a brighter sound, so I wanted to try to convert the Squier into a cheap "72 tele custom" style single coil-humbucker configuration.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Classic-Series-72-Telecaster-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=510475

I was wondering if I could just buy a tele bridge plate and drop in a single coil in place of the bridge humbucker. Anyone with this type of experience have any advice?

My fear is that the humbucker hole might be too long/wide for the bridge plate to screw onto any wood; also, the holes on the bridge plate might not match up with the holes on the guitar. I have no problem making more holes in the guitar provided there's wood underneath to drill into, it's filling in holes left by the current hardware that would be problematic for me... any advice?
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
i think as long as you switch or reshape the pickguard and the plate covers the pickup route, you should be fine
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
yeah I was hoping to cover it with the plate and pickguard; thanks!

Yeah I know... I really really regret not getting a single-coil tele in the first place (it was my first guitar, I didn't know the difference between singlecoil and humbucker other than one hummed and the other one didn't)... I'll hopefully get a traditional tele soon but it doesn't look like it...
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
why not coil tap it ?
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

hmm... that could be interesting... I've never done a coil tap so it'd be a good learning experience too... my only question is how much does the (traditional) diagonal positioning of the bridge pick up influence the tele twang? Would coil tapping get me more of a strat single coil sound than a tele single coil? I'm just asking, I honestly don't know too much about how the positioning affects the sound...
well i suppose seeing as using the bridge pickup produces more of a twangy sound compared to the softer sound of the neck pickup and the angle i suppose would mean the lower strings having more of a soft sound, so the twang is more prominent
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.