I play in a band with my friends, and I write the songs from top to bottom. I write the keyboards, lyrics, bass, and both guitars, although I only play guitar in the band.
So when it comes to our music, the band is me, more or less. I also do the booking for studio, gigs etc

Still, the other guitarist, who does nothing, acts like he is the "boss" of the band, and says that I should "do more" for the band if I ask him to do a little thing for me, like call a bandmember candidate. When I then get mad and say that he could do atleast THAT, when I do everything else, he claims that I have a bad "attitude" and that I'm not that important to the band.

Most of all, I want to just leave the band and say, "Haha, let's see how you do without me," but we have invested in loads of expensive equipment that I'll lose, and they are the only option for a band, to me.

Have any suggestion as to how I should handle this situation? I swear, I'm going to snap if I have to keep up with this guy.
Talk to your other bandmates, and see if they think he's a jerk too. Guitarists are a dime a dozen, so it's no big loss to you if he goes, especially if he doesn't even write his own parts.
Quote by Lots O' FX
There's a guy named, I shit you not, Hunter Goldhammer. I have never met him, I only heard his name over the PA, but I assume he's a dwarf paladin.

Quote by skwelcher
I'm like the real life version of the socially awkward penguin.
you can either kick him out or start another band since you invested in most of the equipment?

i had a similar story about my band .. haha
I'm not sure whether we're getting the full story here. Why can't the keyboardist, guitarist, bassist and singer write their own parts? Why is there a lot of money that could be lost?

I would try talking to the guitarist about his attitude. I'm not sure what "calling a bandmember candidate" means, but he's pissed you off because he didn't do it. So have a talk, if behaviour continues give a warning, if it still continues fire him.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Alan pretty much asked all the questions I was going to haha!

anyway th eonly thing I would add is that in somecases the leader needs to just lead and give commands, they are the one with a vision and the others execute, and this works sometimes. I'm not saying this is definately the case here, and I'm not saying that it is the end all be all of leadership. however, sometimes a leader just needs to be there to keep everyone on track, they aren't always neccesarily the ones that do all of the work...
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
Alan pretty much asked all the questions I was going to haha!

anyway th eonly thing I would add is that in somecases the leader needs to just lead and give commands, they are the one with a vision and the others execute, and this works sometimes. I'm not saying this is definately the case here, and I'm not saying that it is the end all be all of leadership. however, sometimes a leader just needs to be there to keep everyone on track, they aren't always neccesarily the ones that do all of the work...

Wrong. If you're in a band with a band leader of any sort, that person WILL have responsibility. Either they handle the booking and managing, or write the majority of the songs, get the band organized and schedule practice, something else significant or all of the above (as in my case, tis what I do in my band pretty much, but they not as much as free loaders just as not as motivated to take initiative as I am). If they don't and continue to call themselves band leaders and try to boss people around, they can get the **** out. I don't even care if they started the band, I don't care about their vision, if they don't pull their wieght, then they're out real soon.
~
"I'm a musician, what did you expect?"

~
Quote by Ace-014
Wrong. If you're in a band with a band leader of any sort, that person WILL have responsibility. Either they handle the booking and managing, or write the majority of the songs, get the band organized and schedule practice, something else significant or all of the above (as in my case, tis what I do in my band pretty much, but they not as much as free loaders just as not as motivated to take initiative as I am). If they don't and continue to call themselves band leaders and try to boss people around, they can get the **** out. I don't even care if they started the band, I don't care about their vision, if they don't pull their wieght, then they're out real soon.

Im not saying that they are being bossy, more of just someone that keeps people ontrack like "hey man did you take care of this like you said you would" and then he's free to pick up the ball whnever somone drops it. thats how it works in my band, the other guitarist mostly just keeps track of what responsibility belongs to who.

then if there is a problem or someone needs help he steps in. this keeps his schedule clear just in case, we don't look at him as lazy, infact he didn't even want that job originally, but we know that if there is a problem he's free to step up to it and he hasn't let us down yet.

sorry but being a band leader is not about being the boss, its about leading, which basically means keeping everyone on track and guiding them where they need to be.

also read my entry, I said that it doesn't always work this way, but it can for some bands.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Last edited by krypticguitar87 at Mar 23, 2011,