Page 1 of 2
So, I'm currently watching Comic Relief (for those who don't know, it's basically a charity telethon) and saw a heart breaking film about a hospital in Africa that had 3 machines that helped cure a disease, but 4 babies with the disease. A caption came up during the film saying '4 babies, 3 pumps' which led to be posting a status saying
'‎4 babies, 3 pumps.
Sounds like the follow up to 2 girls, 1 cup.'

Cue shit storm. This is a link to it, if you're interested. Click the picture to make it bigger, in case you were wondering.

So, my question to you, dear pit, is is there a definitive line when it comes to comedy that you absolutely should not cross, or is it fine to make jokes about anything?
hello
It all depends upon the person. A lot of my friends are saying 'People who make jokes about the Japanese Tsunami are sick in the head' where as i just think it's something that's in very bad taste but i still laugh at it. Maybe i'm sick in the head?
The line is imaginary.

That said, I found this amusing.
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
I have no line, for anything. Which is pretty bad, that 100metre sprint went on for ages!
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Everyone has their own limits. I personally don't have one until it involves a personal issue of mine.
I will make jokes about anything, but I acknowledge there are repercussions to taking something too far depending on whom you're speaking with and the context and hold my tongue accordingly.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Mar 18, 2011,
Quote by padgea7x
I have no line, for anything. Which is pretty bad, that 100metre sprint went on for ages!

This is where I draw the line.
Quote by opc100
is is there a definitive line when it comes to comedy that you absolutely should not cross?

Nope. Taste is entirely subjective, and so is bad taste.
There is a line in comedy. I mean, you don't see white comedians saying the 'n' word all the time

I get pissed every time someone says "gay" in a bad way. I get REALLY pissed when someone makes fun of JFK or 9/11. I can't stand it.... But thinking about it... this is just my opinion.
POST RAWK
Last edited by crazywatermelon at Mar 18, 2011,
No. The line is drawn by prudes, ie people with no sense of humour.
Make jokes about anything. Be prepared to apologise to the people who dont like it (if the joke is about them), but dont stop making jokes.
Pretty much anything goes for me. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

People can be such self righteous assholes. That "Allie" for one needs a kick in the head.
I like George.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I will make jokes about anything, but I acknowledge there are repercussions to taking something too far depending on whom you're speaking with and the context and hold my tongue accordingly.

What? Tact AND respect?

You fucking alien.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
For me i think everyone has there line as to what they do not find funny but i think once you hit the line thats where you say thats enough for me and stop watching/listening instead of complaining about every little thing that upsets you, all it is, is an opinion and we are all entitled to one so everyone who doesnt like something should just leave tbf
If you want to make jokes about anything fine, but don't bitch when people find it untactful. You're not above criticism even if there's no line.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by strat0blaster
What? Tact AND respect?

You fucking alien.

The hard part is in reading where other people draw "the line" and not offending them unintentionally. Unless they're asking for it.
Quote by crazywatermelon
There is a line in comedy. I mean, you don't see white comedians saying the 'n' word all the time

I get pissed every time someone says "gay" in a bad way. I get REALLY pissed when someone makes fun of JFK or 9/11. I can't stand it.... But thinking about it... this is just my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1NUposXVQ

You were saying?
Laughing at it isn't bad.

Spreading it around to make you look cool, tough and offensive.. that's bad.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
"Jokes mean absolutely nothing, they make people happy, regardless of subject. Nothing should be out of bounds in comedy, absolutely nothing."
i'm guessing you're ollie? but yeah, that's exactly how i feel. i'm known amongst my friends for making jokes that might be considered "heartless" or "cruel" or "tasteless." but this is exactly what i tell them.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
I believe this is the line you're looking for...

Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I don't have too much of a line, but it's not just about the subject it's also how long the jokes go on for. I'll make a joke almost about anything but I don't keep making jokes if it could be quite offensive.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Last edited by Ticket48 at Mar 18, 2011,
To be honest, that girl seems like a really self-righteous bitch.

Going on about how bad they have it and thinking she's jesus bloody christ for donating a small bit for comic relief. She needs to get over herself big time.

That Joe guy is hilarious though.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
My fav part is this

Guy1: "You wouldn't be laughing if it was about your dead family"

Guy2: "I laughed at a joke about my dead grandad today"

Guy3: "PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT SENSES OF HUMOUR!"

Seriously. Begs not being you.
Quote by Kensai
If you want to make jokes about anything fine, but don't bitch when people find it untactful. You're not above criticism even if there's no line.

But what I don't understand is why they found that particular joke untactful. It was a joke about the caption, not the babies themselves.
hello
Quote by uk.mace
I think it all depends on the "victim" within the joke. The BBC posted an interesting article on dark humour earlier today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12775389

Dang! Beat me to it.

And apparently, the safe limit when making jokes about huge tragedies such as the Japan tsunami is 20 years. Personally, I'd say you're good after about 5 at most.
Quote by PeZ546
Dang! Beat me to it.

And apparently, the safe limit when making jokes about huge tragedies such as the Japan tsunami is 20 years. Personally, I'd say you're good after about 5 at most.

According to South Park it's 22.3 years you have to wait.
Quote by crazywatermelon

Yeah, I mean, JFK is just one of those presidents that, when you look at how influential they were, it just blows your mind.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
Yeah, I mean, JFK is just one of those presidents that, when you look at how influential they were, it just blows your mind.

I laughed... Then again, in apples to apples, the card was Patriotic and someone put down terrorist attacks and I put down the JFK assassination. It was a tie (I mean you think one of the cards would have blown the other one away)

Some people have their own line they will not cross and other people do not really have any off limit jokes. Just today there was an add for the USO.gov about amputees (the common theme in all the commercials have been that each soldier is missing one leg). And the lady in the commercial was a swimmer so seemed to be pretty damn good. After the commercial my friend looked at me and said can they really swim like that? I mean, you know, it seems like they would have a big disadvantage. My only reply was of course they can still swim, just one leg kicks harder than the other.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Didn't cross the line, just an unfunny joke IMO.

If you're going to piss people off, at least make sure the joke is funny
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
The way I see it is that getting offended is a choice. If I make a joke that makes you mad its your fault and vice versa.
Crossing the line is bonus points.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
It's not about the subject. What matters is who is being laughed at, and what's being implied by the joke.

The joke in the original post is laughing at the phrase "4 babies, 3 pumps" more than anything. The real problem is that it's very very shit.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
It all depends on the execution. A dutchman once said on the topic of 3rd world countries:

"It is terrible that they are a lot of people living without electricity, without food, without shelter in dirty and dangerous enviroments, without education...

And that stuff happens outside of France as well!
There is just some comedians who can do it and some who can't, it's all about the presentation of the joke. Some comedians keep everything clean, some take things too far and leave everyone freaked out and , and some take it even further and it is funny to everyone.

There is also a lot of easily offended people who should just stick to Friends or something TV14 and below
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Family Guy and South Park are still on the air.

So, no, there really isn't an actual line.

(Not that I have a problem with those shows)
Everyone has their own sense of propriety. If you have one that is further than the norm and are unwilling to censor yourself, just understand the repercussions.

I don't really have a line when it's me and my friends. As long as I know they're joking, I don't care. Holocaust jokes, dead baby jokes, racist jokes, everything is okay (except for dead parent jokes if one friend lost a parent or something like that). But if I don't know someone well and can't tell if they're joking, that can get to be an issue.
Page 1 of 2